Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

rowth in NYCC petered off in the early 2000's, not 1997

Yes, because projects that started pre-amalgamation weren't finished until then.

What happened? downtown was attractive again, rents got too high, traffic got too bad.

Traffic in NYCC is fine, and if rents were so high then office developers would be more interested in building there. You're correct that downtown was attractive again, and there's a reason for it: tax policy! Property taxes for office space dropped in the downtown core and went up in North York.

no the YRT terminal was always scheduled for a spring 18 opening...but on that note, that thing is huge! Its even larger than the subway bubble

the skylights on the VMC roof look really random and sloppy though....

Correction: The YRT terminal has always been and currently still is scheduled for a December opening (EDIT: source is http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/01/bus-terminal-vaughan-metropolitan-centre-gets-underway). You are confusing it with the Viva station on Hwy 7 which has a scheduled opening for Spring 2018 (EDIT: see the map inset caption on page 2 of this document: http://www.vivanext.com/PDFs/H2/2017_NewsletterSpring.pdf).

Regarding the skylights, it seems you aren't aware that it's part of the installed artwork. They're supposed to be aligned with the sun during certain phases of the year.

Last edited:
Correction: The YRT terminal has always been and currently still is scheduled for a December opening. You are confusing it with the Viva station on Hwy 7 which has a scheduled opening for Spring 2018.

I don't think that's correct. The Vivastation is nearly complete, and in fact this station is the one thing holding Viva back from reorganizing their routes to make full use of the rapidway. In the photos, the YRT terminal is not nearly as far along--and it isn't critical in any way to the improvement of services for riders, as buses can make on-street stops to service the subway.

I don't think that's correct. The Vivastation is nearly complete, and in fact this station is the one thing holding Viva back from reorganizing their routes to make full use of the rapidway. In the photos, the YRT terminal is not nearly as far along--and it isn't critical in any way to the improvement of services for riders, as buses can make on-street stops to service the subway.
I stand by what I said about both locations.

YRT used to have multiple references on the web regarding the Smart Centres terminal opening at the end of this year. I'm forced to spend time to check the wayback machine because today it seems that YRT has successfully erased any public mention of the opening date. I drive past the site every week day and have been wondering for some time how they could meet that date.

The Viva station is nowhere close to being complete. Only the base layer of the roofing is complete. The glass hasn't yet been installed (as of two weeks ago when I last looked--the photos posted here aren't coming through my corporate firewall). I can't really tell, but I'm quite certain they haven't installed the elevators and escalators. They're likely waiting for the canopy to be completed first. The VivaNext web site used to say the opening would be Spring 2018 (never in the past stating that it was ahead of schedule) but now VivaNext says, simply, "2018".

Jasonzed posted some great photos of the Vaughan Centre station recently in the Photos and Videos section of the forum...

I just now got a chance to view these photos. Thanks for this. The photos are at least 10 days old because there's been a tower crane installed and now operating at the Y/Library/PWC site for about a week now.

tax rates having an effect is a myth. they are such a small percent of operating costs they have almost no effect.

sheppard / NYCC is simply way more difficult to get to for 905'ers. offices at VMC are easy access for suburban talent, and with the subway, now easy access for urban talent as well.
Tax rates are a significant part of the operating costs for tenants. If taxes in TO are $20 per foot, they are probably closer to $10 per sq.ft. in the 905. Against other op costs of $20, that $10 savings can be huge for a large user of space.

upload_2017-9-5_15-26-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-5_15-26-43.png
    upload_2017-9-5_15-26-43.png
    69 KB · Views: 583
Tax rates are a significant part of the operating costs for tenants. If taxes in TO are $20 per foot, they are probably closer to $10 per sq.ft. in the 905. Against other op costs of $20, that $10 savings can be huge for a large user of space.

Vaughan has a commercial rate of 1.73% while Toronto has a rate of 2.77% (2015 numbers).

When you are looking at the total cost of rent:

Vaughan
net= $17 psf
gross=$27 psf

North Yonge
net = $20 psf
gross = $38 psf

Vaughan is the entire city so VCC has higher rents than this but you can look at the indication of why people are avoiding NYCC. The landlord is not making more money but its mainly the fees (property taxes, etc).

Since both are on the subway line and easy to access from a highway it's a fairly simple decision where someone would want to build.

During the TTC meeting held today, there was a verbal mention that the Line 1 extension could be open by Sunday, December 17, 2017. The Finch West Station should be complete by end of September (verbal mention).
While i'm looking forward to that December date, excuse me for being pessimistic on the Finch West date. In what planet are they living in? End of September completion for Finch West? Have they taken a look at the state of that site recently?

While i'm looking forward to that December date, excuse me for being pessimistic on the Finch West date. In what planet are they living in? End of September completion for Finch West? Have they taken a look at the state of that site recently?

Maybe someone here can provide more details but I believe the bus terminal is opening later than the subway. Perhaps they are going to have a safe opening... i.e. open it but no major works are taking place.

Opening does mean fences removed and grass planted. As long as it can be safety used by riders and can operate revenue subway service, it can open.

Back