Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

My father has been an operator since 1988. I can tell you right now there is no pool of shuttle operators always on standby.

When they have scheduled closures they put the work up as overtime thereby scheduling crews.

They have something called spare board which are spare operators awaiting work but they get sent home after a hour or two of waiting. There is usually only a few if that operators on spare board at each time because they get paid even if they are sent home. They are there to fill no shows and sick calls not for shuttle service.

You need more than a couple operators for shuttles so what they usually do is call operators in the field who are on less busy routes or finishing up and ask if they can do a shuttle.

My father has been asked a number of times while driving to do one.

interesting....are drivers expected and/or briefed about primary shuttle routes as part of their training? then again thinking back i dont see much difference between going to york region doing a shuttle and doing a shuttle run for the first and second time.
after a while it just become ingrained into your head

interesting....are drivers expected and/or briefed about primary shuttle routes as part of their training? then again thinking back i dont see much difference between going to york region doing a shuttle and doing a shuttle run for the first and second time.

The routing is pretty much set but dictated by TTC officials as to the exact routing based on different circumstances. I've see busses go down St Clair and along Warden during closures between Vic Park and Kennedy whereas the route for Union to Bloor closures is set.

I don't think TTC drivers are briefed about any routes as part of their training. Several years ago I actually had a bus driver ask me what street he was supposed to turn at, which should give you an idea of what training they receive on routes.

I figure each bus must have a booklet on board, defining the roads drivers should take for each particular route.

I don't think TTC drivers are briefed about any routes as part of their training. Several years ago I actually had a bus driver ask me what street he was supposed to turn at, which should give you an idea of what training they receive on routes.

I figure each bus must have a booklet on board, defining the roads drivers should take for each particular route.

With nearly 110 routes it would not be a booklet.. more like a binder. It would be impractical to have a driver review it while still operating a bus.

I don't think this is a big issue, but if it is, could we not be using GPS?
I was just following the GPS as I drove into Lake Ontario

Drivers should review the route before starting service, but have seen experience drivers make the wrong turn by mistake

Miway uses a next stop display. Their on-board displays show the next stop and how many minutes +/- they are. Maybe someone else here would know but would it be considered distracted driving if they are having to look at an onboard GPS? I know TTC operators had to fight to use their on-board two way communication phone which later was deemed permissible for work related duties.

I was just following the GPS as I drove into Lake Ontario

Drivers should review the route before starting service, but have seen experience drivers make the wrong turn by mistake

My observation is that TTC drivers regularly drive a handful of routes. They'd only need a run or two to get comfortable with their routes, so I don't think investing in GPS is worth the money for the purposes of reducing driver confusion.

My observation is that TTC drivers regularly drive a handful of routes. They'd only need a run or two to get comfortable with their routes, so I don't think investing in GPS is worth the money for the purposes of reducing driver confusion.

Depends on the route. Years ago my father had to do the 75 Sherbourne when it interlined with the Rosedale bus on a holiday. He went on a ride along to become familiar and decided give away the work so to speak.

There were so many turns onto various streets that he gave up. I think they have simplified the route since then but he gave up because of how confusing he found the routing.

Some routes are simple like the 99 Arrow Road which is pretty much driving in a circle and others are more complicated.

You're saying if there was a shutdown from Finch West to VMC, TTC will dump them at Pioneer Village, tell them to walk to the YRT bus terminal and wait for another shuttle bus.

I'm not sure where the comment you replied to is coming from. If there's some closure - planned or unplanned - they can just say "sorry, there's no transit available, here's another route you can take" (just like they currently do for closures between Lawrence West and St. George), but they haven't actually said whether or they'll do that or operate shuttle buses in Vaughan.

The "drivers might get lost" concern is nonsense. They'd literally just have to drive two blocks west on Steeles then north on Jane Street.

I'm not sure where the comment you replied to is coming from. If there's some closure - planned or unplanned - they can just say "sorry, there's no transit available, here's another route you can take" (just like they currently do for closures between Lawrence West and St. George), but they haven't actually said whether or they'll do that or operate shuttle buses in Vaughan.

The "drivers might get lost" concern is nonsense. They'd literally just have to drive two blocks west on Steeles then north on Jane Street.

It may have truth to it. York Region has been eliminating TTC routes north of steeles (think 24D and 25D), it makes sense that they would not want TTC busses running shuttles north of Steeles. On the flipside the TTC does not permit anyone other than GO transit to pick up and drop off in Toronto.

They may make an exception for shuttles but I doubt it.

They may split shuttles at Steeles but I doubt it would go over well

It may have truth to it. York Region has been eliminating TTC routes north of steeles (think 24D and 25D), it makes sense that they would not want TTC busses running shuttles north of Steeles. On the flipside the TTC does not permit anyone other than GO transit to pick up and drop off in Toronto.

They may make an exception for shuttles but I doubt it.

They may split shuttles at Steeles but I doubt it would go over well
It's not the TTC that is preventing it. It's the City of Toronto Act, 2006. Provincial and Federal transit systems are the only exception. The city would have to make a request to Queen's Park to have this changed.

Since the TTC is responsible for operating the subway, they'll probably be responsible in offering an alternative when the subway is down. Even if they do, only one in 3 shuttle bus would have to go all the way if it was a weekend closure.

It's not the TTC that is preventing it. It's the City of Toronto Act, 2006. Provincial and Federal transit systems are the only exception. The city would have to make a request to Queen's Park to have this changed.

Since the TTC is responsible for operating the subway, they'll probably be responsible in offering an alternative when the subway is down. Even if they do, only one in 3 shuttle bus would have to go all the way if it was a weekend closure.

Thank you! I could not for the life of me remember the legislation that prevented pickup and drop off.

York Region isn't "permitting" the TTC to operate buses in York Region. They're hiring the TTC as a contractor to operate the bus routes. The buses charge York Region fares because York Region gets all of that farebox revenue. When there's a subway station in or close to York Region, it doesn't make sense for them to hire the TTC. Their own contractors end up being cheaper.

Back