Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Suicide prevention is reason enough. One person every two weeks is completely shutting down the system a million people use to get to work for a hour. If the TTC is going to improve the reliability of the system they need to tackle all the causes of them from suicides, to paper fires, to lack of more frequent crossovers which with ATO could allow 24 hour service, etc.

What does "Winter 2010" mean anyway? There's two winters in 2010, one at the beginning, and one at the end. Such an ambiguous term. The sooner the TBMs get here and start their work the better. It would be nice to see this extension go ahead and get finished on schedule.

What does "Winter 2010" mean anyway? There's two winters in 2010, one at the beginning, and one at the end. Such an ambiguous term.
Anytime I've ever seen it used, it means December 2009-March 2010 or January-March (or April) 2010. Check out what Winter 2010 means in any semestered university. And look at how Metrolinx has been using Winter 2010 and Winter 2011 in the Presto launch materials. Best yet - the TYSSE Winter 2010 newsletter came out in February 2010.

I wouldn't have thought of including December 21 to December 31, 2010 as Winter 2010!

The TTC's website for the Steeles West launch location does however say "The TBMs are scheduled to arrive between late 2010 and early 2011 to begin tunnel excavation."

So while there's little doubt what Winter 2010 means - even for TTC - the information doesn't seem to be correct.

Last edited:
Adam Giambrone just posted this on his Twitter:
Council's deferral of the change to the by-law change around transportation of flammable liquids will cause a delay to the subway extension.

It seems to me that a delay to a project as large as this shouldn't be publicized in a Twitter post.... but maybe I'm stuck in the Facebook generation..:rolleyes:

We should be finding out soon if the end of the line station will have the longest and silliest name.

"Arriving at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station" Imagine that!

They should just go with Highway 7 station or something. That's what they normally do, name stations for the crossroad.

As for the final designs, they're very good. The only flaw that I see is the loss of symmetry between the two entrances in the Sheppard West Station.

"Arriving at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station" Imagine that!

They should just go with Highway 7 station or something. That's what they normally do, name stations for the crossroad.

As for the final designs, they're very good. The only flaw that I see is the loss of symmetry between the two entrances in the Sheppard West Station.

"Vaughan Centre" would follow the precedent of "North York Centre" and "Scarborough Centre"

On the new renders for Station Finishes, posted by AOD (thanks):

Lots of natural light and spaciousness, nice

Flooring seems to be attractive in both renders.

The choice of TTC standard lighting at platform level seems unfortunate (its ugly, I 'd like to see them both with uplighting or something decorative)

But the wall finishes.................

At Sheppard West, I can't make up my mind whether I dislike that yellow colour more for its yellow-ness or more for its blandness.

While 407, seems to be a very sterile grey/silver finish.

For the kind of money we're putting into these stations, I was hoping for better. I hope the remaining stations find a nicer colour palate

NL:

My pleasure. SW is actually a pretty "cheap" station at 100M - what gets me is what appears to be the bare concrete walls at the track level.

AoD

Back