Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I don't intend to go back and read this whole thread so I'll ask this question even if it's been asked before: Will the Sheppard West and Finch West stations be built with interlining of the Sheppard/Spadina/Finch subways in mind for potentials down the road?

I don't intend to go back and read this whole thread so I'll ask this question even if it's been asked before: Will the Sheppard West and Finch West stations be built with interlining of the Sheppard/Spadina/Finch subways in mind for potentials down the road?
No. There's never been any discussion of such a concept at TTC, and there is no indication of anything like this in the plans that have been released.

First off, the Sheppard subway will meet the Spadina subway at Downsview station, not Sheppard west station. Second, Finch is getting an LRT. Why does it need interlining with a subway.

I read a York Region newspaper article that the Spadina line has now been delayed and wont fully open until 2018? They mentioned something that the line would only open to York U to try to have it up for the Pan Am games in 2015, but the rest of the line wont open until 2018 to coincide with the Viva Highway 7 BRT completion in the Vaughan Centre area.

Can anyone confirm/deny that this is true?

First off, the Sheppard subway will meet the Spadina subway at Downsview station, not Sheppard west station. Second, Finch is getting an LRT. Why does it need interlining with a subway.

*psst* He lives in White Rock BC.

On the subway delay. The extension is fully-funded. A 2 year delay could mean the costs increased dramatically, which I doubt.

Last edited:
I really hope this line isn't delayed. Even though I'm not a fan of the Vaughan portion, further delays just SUCK.

Anyway, as for interlining Sheppard and Spadina in the future, I don't really see much use to that. I mean, I could see Sheppard following Spadina from Downsview to Sheppard West and then go back following Sheppard. That way there could be two transfer stations between Sheppard and Spadina (Downsview and Sheppard West; just like St. George and Spadina). But Sheppard West is so far off, and it's only ever been talked about in the context of linking it up with Downsview for network connectivity's sake. I just think interlining the two would be too confusing.

I really hope this line isn't delayed. Even though I'm not a fan of the Vaughan portion, further delays just SUCK.

Anyway, as for interlining Sheppard and Spadina in the future, I don't really see much use to that. I mean, I could see Sheppard following Spadina from Downsview to Sheppard West and then go back following Sheppard. That way there could be two transfer stations between Sheppard and Spadina (Downsview and Sheppard West; just like St. George and Spadina). But Sheppard West is so far off, and it's only ever been talked about in the context of linking it up with Downsview for network connectivity's sake. I just think interlining the two would be too confusing.

Sheppard West, West of Jane'ish, drops off quite a bit in density and then you'd wind up with an odd terminus for the line at Weston rd. (where Sheppard W ends). If you interline with York extension (Steeles W, York U, Finch W, Sheppard W, possibly Downsview) you'd be linking up 3 potentiall 4 decent trip generators; York U, North York Centre, SCC(hopefully), and potentially the Downview park development area.

This way alternating trains leaving Steeles W would be heading for Sheppard then YUS. YUS trains could then be short turned at Downsview while maintaining high service frequencies south of Steeles W and the Vaughan portion of the YUS line gets it's reduced service one, out of every two or three...

Sheppard West, West of Jane'ish, drops off quite a bit in density and then you'd wind up with an odd terminus for the line at Weston rd. (where Sheppard W ends). If you interline with York extension (Steeles W, York U, Finch W, Sheppard W, possibly Downsview) you'd be linking up 3 potentiall 4 decent trip generators; York U, North York Centre, SCC(hopefully), and potentially the Downview park development area.

This way alternating trains leaving Steeles W would be heading for Sheppard then YUS. YUS trains could then be short turned at Downsview while maintaining high service frequencies south of Steeles W and the Vaughan portion of the YUS line gets it's reduced service one, out of every two or three...

Still find it overly complicated. You don't see interlining through Lower Bay anymore, so I don't think this is gonna happen either.

Instead of interlining it in full, the line should piggyback along TYSSE til Finch West Stn then head west to Jane-Finch. To do so however a separate tunnel would have to built to Sheppard West Stn and a new platform area facing east-west at Keele-Finch. Too much money for too little density though given that residents at Jane (from either Sheppard or Finch) would still be a minute 10 bus ride from their nearest YUS subway stop regardless.

It would seem like a logical thing to do because eventually Sheppard and Spadina will intersect and I have my doubts that Finch streetcars will, god willing, ever be built.

If you interline with York extension (Steeles W, York U, Finch W, Sheppard W, possibly Downsview) you'd be linking up 3 potentiall 4 decent trip generators; York U, North York Centre, SCC(hopefully), and potentially the Downview park development area.

This arrangement makes a lot of sense from the connectivity standpoint.

Unfortunately, it would cost too much to be realistic in the present fiscal environment. The problem is that Downsview platforms on Spadina line are positioned N-S, and there is no easy way to let Sheppard trains share them. Veer the Sheppard line south-west at Bathurst, make an arc, and approach Downsview from south-east? That would be a long arc at a large extra cost.

More likely, they'd have to build a separate Downsview station with E-W platforms on the Sheppard line, then veer north-west west of Sheppard, and join TYSSE just before Sheppard West station. But this is an extra 1 km or so of tunnel, and a complex junction near Sheppard West.

Last edited:
Making a long ark might help if there's a flood but I don't see what it does for the Sheppard line. :p

What if we make the extension a part of the Sheppard line? Save some costs by keeping it at 4 car trains. Also prevents the yonge line from being too long.

Back