Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

This arrangement makes a lot of sense from the connectivity standpoint.

Unfortunately, it would cost too much to be realistic in the present fiscal environment. The problem is that Downsview platforms on Spadina line are positioned N-S, and there is no easy way to let Sheppard trains share them. Veer the Sheppard line south-west at Bathurst, make an arc, and approach Downsview from south-east? That would be a long arc at a large extra cost.

More likely, they'd have to build a separate Downsview station with E-W platforms on the Sheppard line, then veer north-west west of Sheppard, and join TYSSE just before Sheppard West station. But this is an extra 1 km or so of tunnel, and a complex junction near Sheppard West.

I know that,that's why I mentioned Downsview only as a possability. Most likely you would just create the "Y" somewhere north of Downsview station and it would not be shared between the two lines.

What if we make the extension a part of the Sheppard line? Save some costs by keeping it at 4 car trains. Also prevents the yonge line from being too long.

That will be less convenient for those heading to York U from the south. Plus, it requires new design for the route up to Sheppard West (maybe even Finch West) and that would delay the project already underway.

Most likely you would just create the "Y" somewhere north of Downsview station and it would not be shared between the two lines.

Not a bad idea ... The TYSSE tunnel will continue north along Allen Rd for 300 or 400 m, then veer west towards Sheppard West Stn. So, veer Sheppard subway tunnel north-west at Faywood, and join TYSSE tunnel where it bends?

The only problem is that Sheppard - YorkU trains will have no stop at Allen - Dufferin.

I have always thought that a Sheppard West subway extension should put the priority on connecting to the University line at Sheppard West station rather than Downsview since that is where the GO connection would be and eventually extend to Finch and Weston, or on a southerly trajectory connect to the GO on Wilson and eventually extend to Dixon Rd. I think the number of riders transfering between the southern University line to the eastern Sheppard line would be limited by the fact the proximity to the Yonge line and that most people on the University line originate from the west, not the east.

Ahem, can we stick to the topic at hand? Like how many threads do we have about this whole LRT/streetscar debate already? Any further seriously off topic postings will be wiped, and previous postings of the same nature will be deleted - and no, they won't be transferred to a new thread.

AoD

Last edited:
I have always thought that a Sheppard West subway extension should put the priority on connecting to the University line at Sheppard West station rather than Downsview since that is where the GO connection would be and eventually extend to Finch and Weston, or on a southerly trajectory connect to the GO on Wilson and eventually extend to Dixon Rd. I think the number of riders transfering between the southern University line to the eastern Sheppard line would be limited by the fact the proximity to the Yonge line and that most people on the University line originate from the west, not the east.

Sounds plausible, but how much time would you actually be saving if you redirected the sheppard west extension away from downsview? Maybe 5 - 10 minutes? An additional 5 minutes because of the transfer? I don't think it's worth it to be honest.

So can someone tell me why platform edge doors weren't part of the original budget for the line? Given the line was planned in the mid 2000's shouldn't it have been in the budget by default?

Simple, we don't need platform barriers as they are a colossal waste of money.

As for the extension, when will we start to see any station work or tunelling work begin? This year? Or 2011?

As for the extension, when will we start to see any station work or tunelling work begin? This year? Or 2011?

Nono I think you misunderstood my question. The line was planned with out any rough in's for a platform barriers in the future. Now they have asked for a budget increase in order to build this into the lines stations.

Why weren't these rough ins included as part of the initial budget plan?

I believe late fall of this year? The Sheppard west TBM drop shaft site has been graded and prepped. I believe the Steeles west site is still ongoing.

Platform doors have enormous advantages beyond suicide prevention. They also improve ventilation and can allow the proper heating and cooling of stations. That's the main reason for their installation on the 7 train extension in New York. They also prevent the loss of heat on the trains whenever the doors open.

Anybody know when we might start seeing interior design concepts?
Or at least better renders (that means you 407 and Finch West)

I believe late fall of this year? The Sheppard west TBM drop shaft site has been graded and prepped. I believe the Steeles west site is still ongoing.

I thought the first TBM's came only in early 2011?

Edit: My bad, I just checked Lovat's site and it says that the first two TBM's will be delivered in Winter 2010.

Last edited:

Back