Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

NL:

My pleasure. SW is actually a pretty "cheap" station at 100M - what gets me is what appears to be the bare concrete walls at the track level.

AoD

I wouldn't mind the concrete walls too much if PSD's are to be installed within the next 5-10 years but I just hope that the station name is printed (or engraved) larger than those in the Sheppard subway. The original subway stops had the best design, IMO. Station name along the top of the wall in frequent intervals and much larger station names in the centre of the wall in less frequent intervals.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/local/article/818877--major-transit-delay

The above link is the source of the speculation that the project completion will be delayed to 2018.

Days after I read that article, YRT had a presentation on the Viva BRT at the Hilton Garden Inn that I attended. I met a fellow there who claimed he was the York Region coordinator for the subway. (I have lost his card but his first name is Brian.) I asked him about the 2018 date. He told me that he had seen that article and that was the first time he had heard it. So he called the paper and he claims they could not provide him a reliable source of that info. So he told the paper to retract it (has anyone seen a retraction?). He's adamant that the line will open in late 2015 still.

By the way, regarding the VMC station name, wouldn't it be funny if they discovered they had to extend the length of the station in order to fit all the lettering on the wall? Speculation I see here about it being called "Vaughan Centre" is interesting and has precedent. There's also a possibility that it will be named "Avenue 7" to reflect the name change to Highway 7 that Vaughan is pushing as part of the VMC plan.

Did you even read the article? There is nothing in that article that states the subway will open in 2018, hell the article is about the VIVA busway system! In fact, the article says the subway will open in 2015.

Your comment is quite perplexing!

Did you even read the article? There is nothing in that article that states the subway will open in 2018, hell the article is about the VIVA busway system! In fact, the article says the subway will open in 2015.

Your comment is quite perplexing!

Wow. They actually tried to correct the original article. Amazing. I have checked the Wayback Machine but discovered that they now display archives that are older than six months. So I cannot find a way to prove to you the original version. They botched the correction, though.

Originally, the sentence that now reads, "The expanded Spadina subway should open three years later in 2015," was: "The expanded Spadina subway should open three years later in 2018."

Note the "three years later". That follows directly from the previous sentence referring to 2015. So to have properly corrected it, they should have removed that phrase, too.

well I guess even if not many people use these new stations, they will be big enough to hold conventions so that's plus :p. Seriously though, I don't understand why they are being built so big? I counted 11 entrance turnstiles in the Sheppard West report picture. Unless these stations really have a lot of people in them all the time, they will feel cold, empty, and an uninviting environment.

I counted 11 entrance turnstiles in the Sheppard West report picture. Unless these stations really have a lot of people in them all the time, they will feel cold, empty, and an uninviting environment.
Sheppard West is also a GO Station. So there could be sudden large numbers of people entering the station. 11 doesn't sound unreasonable; I'd think Finch West wouldn't need as many.

Ya they feel like they are being overbuilt to look artsy. Can't help but wonder when things start to develop around them if it wouldn't have been better to plan to allow development over the stations.

These station designs look beautiful but the surroundings look very spartan without any development. How are people going to get to these stations. 407 and Sheppard West are going to have some of the lowest ridership in the system. It would make sense for both York Region and Toronto to encourage some high density development around these stations. Sheppard West is on empty fields. Why not build some condos or mid-rise office buildings there. We need some more employment in the city and with the subway it could be a great addition to the area.

Toronto has already done that for Sheppard West.

renSheppardRetail.jpg

renShepSubway.jpg

renChesswoodEast.jpg

The Highway 407 station would require the province to decide to build density because they own most of the land. It is designed to be a transfer point for GO bus services and a commuter park-and-ride station.

Ya they feel like they are being overbuilt to look artsy. Can't help but wonder when things start to develop around them if it wouldn't have been better to plan to allow development over the stations.

As shown by EnviroTO, a masterplan for development near the Sheppard West station. But there is very little development potential near the 407 station since it's located near high tension power lines. Still, there are multiple buses set to interchange with the station and this should provide a very high ridership figure. I wouldn't be surprised it has the highest ridership when the station opens. Vaughan station doesn't need introduction. As is the case with YorkU station, but I don't know about Finch.

Last edited:
The complete lack of anything at the actual station, though - other than parkettes and convention centre sized entrance huts that do boost the cost of the station - is distressing. Those renderings read like an "Olympic Villages after the Games: What Not To Do" photospread.

Back