Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I wanted to ride the first train with John Tory but set my alarm for 6:45pm instead of 6:45am. Ended up waking up at 7:10 and rushed to the 320 bus but it was delayed so I didn't make it :(.

So apparently YRT does have a table set up at VMC with paper fold-up buses. Now if only they had cupcakes as well...

Dropped someone off at the 407 station......signage needs a lot of work.....no entry signs at such awkward angles they actually encourage you to drive into the areas that you are not supposed to be in.

Kudos to Apple for updating their Maps app with the TYSSE.
Google, not so much.

CD07313E-0B97-4F21-BFC6-27EA0649D6DC.png

D55FF59E-9C3A-4594-9554-ABFBE554A282.png

Attachments

• D55FF59E-9C3A-4594-9554-ABFBE554A282.png
    D55FF59E-9C3A-4594-9554-ABFBE554A282.png
    2 MB · Views: 273
  • CD07313E-0B97-4F21-BFC6-27EA0649D6DC.png
    CD07313E-0B97-4F21-BFC6-27EA0649D6DC.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 270
The line is there if you get transit directions.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 11.57.23 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 11.57.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 11.57.23 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 266
I just got back from checking out all the stations. Some thoughts:

The transfers on this extension aren't well designed. Due to the sizes of these stations, and the large vertical elevations, it takes an exceptionally long time to make bus-to-subway transfers. For example, at Steeles West Station, it took me a little over two minutes to get from the TTC bus platform to the Line 1 platform (yes, I timed it). This is a non-negligible transfer time that will discourage ridership.

The poor transfer flows also does not bode well for either the Relief Line or the Scarborough Subway, both of which will be significantly deeper than TYSSE. The Relief Line needs a fast and convenient transfer to effectively relieve Bloor-Yonge Station. If the Line 2 to Relief Line transfer takes anywhere as long as these TYSSE transfers, the potential for Bloor-Yonge relief will be significantly harmed.

The Scarborough Subway was proposed precisely for the purpose of eliminating a problematic transfer. But with Scarborough Centre Station being the deepest in the system, and with it having much greater horizontal walking distances to access the bus terminal from the platform level, its certain to have a transfer time significantly greater than the 2+ minutes transfers at Steeles West Station. It's looking like the Scarborough Centre transfer will have little to no time savings, when compared to the subway-to-SLRT transfer proposed at Kennedy.

It is my hope that our planners will look at TYSSE, and apply those lessons regarding the transfer distance to the Scarborough Centre and Relief Line. We're investing $11 Billion into those two projects, and it would be a terrible shame to see their utility diminished because we didn't design passenger-friendly transfers.

Furthermore, the large vertical elevations means that convenient access to operational escalators and elevators 100% of the time will be imperative. I'm a young man, and walking up the stairs in the station left even me slightly fatigued. There's not a chance any of the elderly people I know would be able to climb these stairs. Again, this will be an even bigger issue for the Relief Line and Scarborough Subway.

Finally, a miscellaneous observation: The TYSSE stations are far colder than any of the other stations on the system. Stepping onto the Highway 407 Station platform from the train, I immediately remarked how freezing it was in the stations. My hands even became uncomfortably cold (without gloves on), which is something I can't say I've ever experienced at any other underground stations in the system.

Last edited:
Wish I could join the pub crawling but I have family stuff on later today.

Lots of TTC and VIVA staff out this morning to greet the public, and certainly droves of the public checking out the new stations. Looks like the escalators need some tweaking - they were tripping off regularly - but there were maintenance people on scene. TTC staff seemed to be excited with their new attraction, many still finding their way around the stations. Tomorrow will be the true test of what bugs need fixing.

It was especially cool that many of the construction workers who built the line came out with their families. I overheard a couple of people showing their family where they were worked and pointing out the things (like the large overhead coloured glass) that they personally had worked on. Lots of pride evident.

I found the architecture as good as promised. Now that we have gone over the top with this line, I would hope future lines find a less expensive middle ground between TTC's traditional drab and these epic eyecatchers. We don't need to be this pretty everywhere (I'm not sure we needed to be this pretty here either, but that's spilt milk now).

Best line I heard this morning: "Why did they put the Operators' Washroom all the way down *there* when the bus platform is up *here* ?????"

Well, it's here. Let's hope it serves us well. On to the the Relief Line......

- Paul

PS: The swag was definitely better in '66.

IMG_4238.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4238.JPG
    IMG_4238.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 264

The transfers on this extension aren't well designed. Due to the sizes of these stations, and the large vertical elevations, it takes an exceptionally long time to make bus-to-subway transfers. For example, at Steeles West Station, it took me a little over two minutes to get from the TTC bus platform to the Line 1 platform (yes, I timed it). This is a non-negligible transfer time that will discourage ridership.

The poor transfer flows also does not bode well for either the Relief Line or the Scarborough Subway, both of which will be significantly deeper than TYSSE. The Relief Line needs a fast and convenient transfer to effectively relieve Bloor-Yonge Station. If the Line 2 to Relief Line transfer takes anywhere as long as these TYSSE transfers, the potential for Bloor-Yonge relief will be significantly harmed
Besides the ability to have an Old Mill style station at McCowan and Lawrence, this is another reason why cut-and-cover is the way to go.

The poor transfer flows also does not bode well for either the Relief Line or the Scarborough Subway, both of which will be significantly deeper than TYSSE. The Relief Line needs a fast and convenient transfer to effectively relieve Bloor-Yonge Station. If the Line 2 to Relief Line transfer takes anywhere as long as these TYSSE transfers, the potential for Bloor-Yonge relief will be significantly harmed.

The Scarborough Subway was proposed precisely for the purpose of eliminating a problematic transfer. But with Scarborough Centre Station being the deepest in the system, and with it having much greater horizontal walking distances to access the bus terminal from the platform level, its certain to have a transfer time significantly greater than the 2+ minutes transfers at Steeles West Station. It's looking like the Scarborough Centre transfer will have little to no time savings, when compared to the subway-to-SLRT transfer proposed at Kennedy (which would have been configured similarly to the aforementioned Finch West LRT transfer at Finch West Station).

It is my hope that our planners will look at TYSSE, and apply those lessons regarding the transfer distance to the Scarborough Centre and Relief Line. We're investing $11 Billion into those two projects, and it would be a terrible shame to see their utility diminished because we didn't design passenger-friendly transfers.

Furthermore, the large vertical elevations means that convenient access to operational escalators and elevators 100% of the time will be imperative. I'm a young man, and walking up the stairs in the station left even me slightly fatigued. There's not a chance any of the elderly people I know would be able to climb these stairs. Again, this will be an even bigger issue for the Relief Line and Scarborough Subway.

Finally, a miscellaneous observation: The TYSSE stations are far colder than any of the other stations on the system. Stepping onto the Highway 407 Station from the train, I immediately remarked how freezing it was in the stations. My hands even became uncomfortably cold (without gloves on), which is something I can't say I've ever experienced at any other underground stations in the system.
I echo what was said here. :p

Overall, checking out the extension was neat. We have expanded our system.

Done with step one, building the subway into Vaughan. Now we can start on step two, annexing Vaughan into Toronto.

Can't believe the price of transit fares up north. $4.00 cash fare for children over the age of one. (Children are 1 to 12. One child between the ages 1 to 5 may ride free with a paying adult. Children under one ride free.). See link. That's one reason they might want to be annexed.

Done with step one, building the subway into Vaughan. Now we can start on step two, annexing Vaughan into Toronto.

Can't believe the price of transit fares up north. $4.00 cash fare for children over the age of one. (Children are 1 to 12. One child between the ages 1 to 5 may ride free with a paying adult. Children under one ride free.). See link. That's one reason they might want to be annexed.
In Brampton the cash fare will soon be $4....but that is to create an incentive to pay with Presto....the Presto fare is $2.95.....the gap in York Region seems surprisingly low as the Presto fare is still $3.63

Back