Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Strange to look down at the station platform from 2-3 levels directly above it.

At VMC the display says the last northbound train for the day from there is N/A.

Overheard at Vaughan Metropolitan Station, "Guys, the mall isn't here?!"
The first thing my mother asked me today when I told her the extension was opened was "Is that where the giant outlet mall is?"

I got to admit, it seems a little underwhelming to have the subway stop there, before an actual destination. Though neither would I have liked to see it continued tunneled to Vaughan Mills or Wonderland. If only elevated was not such a dirty word even for industrial lands.

Random observations...

These stations remind me a lot of the large Chinese and Korean-style subway stations (except no platform edge doors), with very similar designs, concourse passenger flow, and abundance of information displays. I guess most new subways in the world are being designed like that.

I do like the huge and many "next train" screens, though I feel like they should also show maybe bus times as well, especially the ones leading up to the bus concourses.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but are all the new TTC bus platforms outside of the fare-paid area? Interesting change, makes sense with the move to Presto.

Someone mentioned they only saw washrooms at 407 station. VMC also had washrooms, which had quite the lineups today.

I feel like there was a missed opportunity to put retail in the VMC concourse. With the walking connections to the station, and the possibility to have a PATH-like system for the immediate area, this could really have been a great retail hub.

Vaughan Metropolitan Centre really is a long name (to rehash an old debate), kept thinking the robo announcer on the train would stumble through the words. Glad to see most signs outside of that station just say "To Vaughan".

Anyone else notice the immense number of PA speakers in the stations? In some spots I saw them like every 5 feet or so on the walls. Should be nice for having non-echoing announcements though, for the giant open spaces (which is why I'm assuming there are so many).

Where's the duty free stores at the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station?

Shouldn't there be buses to shuttle passengers to and from the subway trains and the buses?

True, I even brought my passport, wasn't sure if I needed it when crossing at Pioneer Village...

Found the answer to a question I've had for a long time. Yes, there is a plaque dedicated to the worker who died building York U station. It's also twice as big as I expected.
P_20171217_150225_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Attachments

• P_20171217_150225_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20171217_150225_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited by a moderator:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but are all the new TTC bus platforms outside of the fare-paid area? Interesting change, makes sense with the move to Presto.
I know the Pioneer Village Bus Terminal IS inside the fare paid area, I can't comment on Finch West, but I would assume it was as well.

I feel like there was a missed opportunity to put retail in the VMC concourse. With the walking connections to the station, and the possibility to have a PATH-like system for the immediate area, this could really have been a great retail hub.
It would make sense to add retail in the long hallways between the subway station and the SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal as well as to the Vivastation.

I am trying to figure out how to transfer from VMC station to get to Vaughan Mills, i looked at the York transit map but it does not appear there is direct bus connection - bus 26 is the closest but its market as rush hour service only.

Back