Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

York is already the recipient of a massive public benefit. Many other employers and institutions would be glad of it rather than trying to force even more transfers.

This is such a shame. At this rate, there will not be a substantial reduction in the number of buses on the York U campus...one of the points of the subway station was to stop having dozens of diesel buses per hour making noise and spewing exhaust into the air, and to make the campus more pedestrian friendly. Sad to see that dream gone.

The dream isn't gone. The dream was not up keep buses off the huge, road-encircled campus. It was to keep them out of the CENTRE of campus, particularly that loop in front of Vari Hall. There will be fewer buses overall and none in that area AFAIK.

The dream isn't gone. The dream was not up keep buses off the huge, road-encircled campus. It was to keep them out of the CENTRE of campus, particularly that loop in front of Vari Hall. There will be fewer buses overall and none in that area AFAIK.

True. Even with the subway, York University will be a regional destination for bus services. However, they'll no longer be using the bus route through the Harry Arthurs Common in front of Vari Hall. That will mean a "front campus" space that can be fully pedestrianized and landscaped, which will improve the campus.

I agree that keeping buses off of the campus altogether wasn't the goal, but it was certainly the dream. What we are missing is the development of a truly regional, interconnected and efficient network. Transferring between two modes shouldn't be such an extra cost or burden that a municipality forgoes dropping off passengers at a more efficient terminus here. But it is, because it comes down to money, as outlined above.

The real consequence for settling for the goal instead of the dream is that you will still have buses from Brampton and York putting on extra miles, creating more emissions and taking up road space within and in the vicinity of the campus. We could dismiss it as trivial but I'm not the person that does that, it adds up. It may be trivial for some routes like the 22 or the 100 coming down Keele, but it is ridiculous because of routes like the 501 Zum, 20 or 165 that should be tying into the subway. The whole city boundary doesn't help either but that's another can of worms.

I agree that keeping buses off of the campus altogether wasn't the goal, but it was certainly the dream.
I though the goal was to get the regional buses like Viva, YRT, Zum and Go transit off of campus because they linger for longer periods of time then the TTC buses do, thus they take up space on the roadways. By having them pull into a station off of Campus like Pioneer Village (i still say it should be Steals West but I'm not a city councilor so I have no say in the names of stations) then it eliminates having uses they stay more then 5 minutes.

I though the goal was to get the regional buses like Viva, YRT, Zum and Go transit off of campus because they linger for longer periods of time then the TTC buses do,

Even if that was the goal.....for at least YRT and Zum.....they seem to have failed to meet that goal.

Clearly there's more than 1 "goal" here. The macro goals aren't going to be achieved as long as we have this dumb Steeles border issue. This should have been an excuse to figure out a model that can be used regionwide but no. Because money.

Who loses? Riders.

I still think the primary goal was to get the literally constant stream of buses out of the Commons loop. It's terribly unfriendly to pedestrians and stinky from emissions and crowded with lineups all the time; that's done.

In the long-term (maybe even the medium term!) I'm sure they'll figure out the rest of it (and then we'll just be stuck with an extra bus terminal) but given the size of the campus you do want buses going around the outer loop anyway.

It's an improvement. Is it everything all at once? No. But what is?

The Newest TTC Map: On Paper vs. Reality

More: http://www.mapto.ca/maps/2017/5/9/the-newest-ttc-map-is-distorted

The turn out was very small for Downsview Park compare to York. Then they were only open an hour or so.

Didn't see much change to Downsview from my Jan tour, other than the fare gates are in. No other work has taken place for the GO Platforms, but crews had a section of the Barrie line remove and building something under the track.

York is more or less ready except landscaping.

Both stations had 2 TR's at the platform.

Been about 5 or 6 months since I last saw Finch and only shook my head since not much has change on the outside from that last visit. The weak link for opening day.

Reactions: syn
The turn out was very small for Downsview Park compare to York. Then they were only open an hour or so.
Both stations were open all day Downsview park was little bit harder to get to as the only way to it was by shuttle bus from York University station. I did see a few pole that came by other bus routes and walked/ ran across the street when traffic was light. Alos Downsview park wasn't set up in an easy way to tour as York University ws as for Downsview park you had to exit it vi one of the emergency exit arthur the the main entrance. However they did have one of the mechanical rooms at Downsview open and there was a TTC person ther talking about the equipment in it. They also had poel from Tconnect at each of the stations showing off the WIFI / Cellular phone equipment they have installed also both satins had their WIFI connected.

Alos the shuttle buses used the busway to get to York University sation first.

Which appeared to lead to some confusion as people thought it was on it's regular routing.

The station will be completely changing to Cedarvale on both lines 1 and 5.
that is insane. Eglinton west has been that for how long now? This is crazy and insane. How the TTC allows Metrolinx to do this is really crazy

Perhaps it could say "The Station Formerly Known As Downsview"
I can't believe they thinker with the eglinton west station name, downsview name change and then I gotta see the names, pioneer village, vaughan metropolitian centre, and highway 407 sttaion

That's what got said at the last TTC board meeting in April they met about a year ago when they held a joint meeting and haven't had one since. One of the counselors brought up scheduling more of them because he had herd from sombay that the company crossinx was looking to operate the crosstown line even though he knew that it was already established that the TTC would be responsible for it.
this is unreal how crosslinx could think that

Last edited by a moderator:
this is unreal how crosslinx could think that
Someone thinks they can do it cheaper than the TTC, accept transfers from the TTC and expect the TTC to subsidize them? Not happening in nine hells.

One thing is TTC will central all operations (buses, streetcar, subways and LRTs) at Hillcrest control room for better public info and safety issues. Having someone else do so in a different control room is going to lead to lots of miscommunication such as riders unaware the LRT is down for whatever reason.

Back