Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

This is the first time I saw a rendering of the new GO station at Downsview. I found this in one of the Metrolinx documents.

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 10.48.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 10.48.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 10.48.52 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 842
*Warning Warning. Smart Serve Alert*

People don't handle alcohol better than others, they just mask it's effects better. Body size and composition do play a factor but not to the effect that people think. A BAC of .08 is still impaired regardless of if you are slurring your words or giving a dissertation on the long term socioeconomic effects of European Colonialism on the New World

What a ridiculous statement. Getting very OT here, but I have to respond to that as it's dangerously false--I certainly hope smart serve doesn't teach that nonsense. Of course some people handle alcohol better than others. Yes, a BAC of .08 is still impaired regardless of how one presents themselves, but different people will require a different amount of alcohol to reach .08. You'll note that BAC stands for Blood Alcohol Content in grams of alcohol per decilitre of blood, so of course, if two people each have 1 gram of alcohol in their system, their BAC will not be identical unless they have the exact same amount of blood. Men typically have more blood than women, and people who weigh more generally have more blood than lighter people--you can see a simple version of this at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content#Estimated_blood_alcohol_content_by_intake

Additionally, even for two people of the same gender and weight, and let's say overall they somehow have the exact same amount of blood down to the millilitre, having the exact same amount of the same alcohol to drink, their BACs will typically differ at least slightly and sometimes significantly--this comes down to stomach contents at time of consumption, stomach health, and most importantly liver functionality/health, and can be affected by things like any medications one is taking. Their BACs will differ at consumption, and will generally differ more as time goes on and one person's body filters out the alcohol more quickly.

Reactions: rbt
At the time they planed the closure they din't know the jays were going to be in the playoffs and I don't know if they knew about the world cup of hockey tournament. As Brad Ross said on twitter there never is a good time to do a closure, but they do what they have to to get the work done.

Yes. As I said. And Brad Ross commented on it, because of the poor optics. (Though they should have known about the World Cup of Hockey.) I wasn't pointing out the TTC shouldn't shut down to do repairs and upgrades, merely that they don't always coordinate or spin it properly.

Opening capital projects 2 years late and several billion over budget is definitely a bigger fish to fry for them.

What a ridiculous statement. Getting very OT here, but I have to respond to that as it's dangerously false--I certainly hope smart serve doesn't teach that nonsense. Of course some people handle alcohol better than others. Yes, a BAC of .08 is still impaired regardless of how one presents themselves, but different people will require a different amount of alcohol to reach .08. You'll note that BAC stands for Blood Alcohol Content in grams of alcohol per decilitre of blood, so of course, if two people each have 1 gram of alcohol in their system, their BAC will not be identical unless they have the exact same amount of blood. Men typically have more blood than women, and people who weigh more generally have more blood than lighter people--you can see a simple version of this at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content#Estimated_blood_alcohol_content_by_intake

Additionally, even for two people of the same gender and weight, and let's say overall they somehow have the exact same amount of blood down to the millilitre, having the exact same amount of the same alcohol to drink, their BACs will typically differ at least slightly and sometimes significantly--this comes down to stomach contents at time of consumption, stomach health, and most importantly liver functionality/health, and can be affected by things like any medications one is taking. Their BACs will differ at consumption, and will generally differ more as time goes on and one person's body filters out the alcohol more quickly.

You will note that based on the chart you linked, a 180 pound male has a BAC of .08 after 4 drinks while a 240 pound male needs 5 drinks to reach .08. So someone with 33% more mass needs 25% more alcohol to reach intoxication. That's not a whole hell of a lot of leeway when you think about it. Especially when considering other variations that do affect uptake/consumption time/metabolism

I agree this is OT so I will leave the rest of the discussion alone.

Well, it's a picture of the GO counter at the in construction. Downsview Park station, so it is a render. Unless it's a dramatically edited photo of an unbuilt thing.

Except that the interior of the station is just about fully finished now. There may be some editing involved to make the lights turned on, but the counter should look pretty darn close to that right now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Edit: although looking at that image again, it does look a touch too "perfect". It may be a hell of a render, or quite a bit of photoshopping.

Last edited:
Yes. As I said. And Brad Ross commented on it, because of the poor optics. (Though they should have known about the World Cup of Hockey.) I wasn't pointing out the TTC shouldn't shut down to do repairs and upgrades, merely that they don't always coordinate or spin it properly.

Opening capital projects 2 years late and several billion over budget is definitely a bigger fish to fry for them.
I think the World cup of Hockey was actually very hastily put together it was the brainchild of the NHL commissioner to make up for the fact that the NHL players will not be p;laying in the olympics in the coming years ahead. Teams and the NHL don't want to send their players halfway across the world for them to possibly get hut.

I think the World cup of Hockey was actually very hastily put together it was the brainchild of the NHL commissioner to make up for the fact that the NHL players will not be p;laying in the olympics in the coming years ahead. Teams and the NHL don't want to send their players halfway across the world for them to possibly get hut.
Don't forget Team Europe and Team North America.

Not sure when they actually planned it....but a full year before it they officially launched it in the media.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...=10000&cHash=c784604ede7b63398b44d1b839e13e68

Back