Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Those are good reasons to take public transit, but having to walk to the bus, wait out in the rain/snow/cold for the bus, have to stand because it's packed, and spend more time commuting because the bus is slower than your car are all great reasons to drive. Some people might also find that driving into downtown is faster than the bus + subway. Parking at subway stations and Go Train stations provides a great alternative for those people.

In some areas you need a car because surface transit really is that bad. Take Mississauga for example where the 20 Rathburn, 3 Bloor and 26 Burnhamthorpe all run from Square One. If you miss one of those busses you are screwed on the weekend or late night. Factor in that you cannot get anywhere reliably in Mississauga without a car on the weekend you kinda and you see why people drive to the subway. From time to time when I worked in Mississauga, I found it was faster to drive to the subway from Square One than it was to catch a bus to Islington. I could make it to Kipling faster than the bus would take to get to Islington.

The same thing is at play in Vaughan. As much as people have a subway, they have to get there and I doubt YRT or VIVA will be up to the task. People will end up being driven to the subway or drive to Downsview as I do not think any of the new stations have parking. Driving to the subway and taking transit is still cheaper than parking in Downtown Toronto and so if people do not have reliable transit to get to the station they will inevitably drive there.

I'm not sure about Finch W and Pioneer Village, but 407 has 550 spaces.

Finch West Station is located under Keele Street, north of Finch Avenue West. The hydro corridor to the north of the station accommodates commuter parking for 358 vehicles, Passenger Pick-Up and Drop-Off with associated access roads from Keele Street

https://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/Stations/Finch_West_Station/index.jsp

Commuter parking for 1,850 vehicles and associated access roads are located in the hydro corridor to the north of the station.

https://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/Stations/Steeles_West_Station/index.jsp

Park and ride ridership is a small percentage of TTC patrons. The majority walk or bus to the station or get dropped off. TTC does a reasonable job of providing parking in areas that are typically on land that is already used for utilities such as hydro towers so it doesn't take up much extra space. There was a big hubbub when TTC removed the free parking perks of a metropass. Riders growled about paying for parking. The lots are just as full now. So TTC has more revenue now and some riders switched to taking the bus or getting dropped off to avoid paying ~$5 a day for parking.

GO is the problem in my opinion. It's model is solely based on car and park ridership. Most stations have terrible connections to the surrounding area as they are surrounded by a sea of parking. This will have to change once GO becomes a true regional transit provider.

I thought it was funny, Line 1 was down on the weekend from Downsview to Lawrence, I think. So, no parking at Downsview (obviously, there's the shuttle bus) the first weekend after they close Wilson, with full Xmas in effect at Yorkdale.

ladies and gentlemen, your 2016 TTC!

Howe else are they supposed to upgrade the signal system and connect the exiting network to the new extrusions It's not like they can do all of it over night some projects take longer then others to do.

Losing some parking spaces at the Wilson station is not a problem, per se. The subway extension will provide massive extra parking capacity on that line.

The only problem is that they are closing the existing lot a year before the new lots open. I wish they coordinated better. Then again, perhaps they expected that the subway will be up and running by the end of 2016, and signed the Wilson lot closure before it became evident that the subway completion is delayed.

Losing some parking spaces at the Wilson station is not a problem, per se. The subway extension will provide massive extra parking capacity on that line.

The only problem is that they are closing the existing lot a year before the new lots open. I wish they coordinated better. Then again, perhaps they expected that the subway will be up and running by the end of 2016, and signed the Wilson lot closure before it became evident that the subway completion is delayed.

Bureaucrats!

This piece of paper says this date, so this date must followed or the bureaucrat will lose his or her job. Don't look at the whole, just little corner or page and nothing else. Do not follow the spirit of the law, but the letter of the law.

Howe else are they supposed to upgrade the signal system and connect the exiting network to the new extrusions It's not like they can do all of it over night some projects take longer then others to do.

Yes, I understand how and why the subway gets upgraded and obviously there wasn't commuter chaos. It's just bad coordination. (not unlike in October when the Yonge line was down during that baseball playoffs and hockey tournament.)

I get that it has to happen but it's poor optics, at best.

Bureaucrats!

This piece of paper says this date, so this date must followed or the bureaucrat will lose his or her job. Don't look at the whole, just little corner or page and nothing else. Do not follow the spirit of the law, but the letter of the law.

I would suspect it was more a case of they had a development contract in place, and the hand-over to the developer was December 31st or something like that. Would have fit within the original timeline for the completion of the subway, but not the pushed back date. The last thing this project needs is a developer taking the TTC to court over missing another milestone date.

I discuss the bus routing changes and the unknowns about fare integration once GO, YRT and Brampton passengers are forced to transfer to the subway to get to campus. It's ridiculous that one year out, nobody knows the details yet.

Happily, though, Brampton Transit is aware of the 501/501A split termini and say that the YRT document is not necessarily Brampton's final plans. They also expect an increase in demand because of the direct subway connection and are planning for that.

https://seanmarshall.ca/2016/12/04/unanswered-questions-about-torontos-next-subway-extension/

The TTC's plan is to eventually develop all of the parking lots at Wilson and Downsview. Just Yorkdale will be left. These spots will be replaced by the ~ 3,000 new spots at the new stations. Most of the people who park at Wilson at Downsview are coming from outside Toronto.

IMO, the issue is that the land uses in North York are similar to Vaughan and both are very car dependent. Its mostly single family detached, and so bus service is not very good to get to the stations. I imagine many of the people who park at the stations will probably just drive downtown since it will be quicker, and not a major price difference considering you gotta pay 4$ a day to park at the subway.

What interests me is the Downsview Park station. There's no parking though, but I can't see why people won't just park at the food merchant's market next to it.

The TTC's plan is to eventually develop all of the parking lots at Wilson and Downsview. Just Yorkdale will be left. These spots will be replaced by the ~ 3,000 new spots at the new stations. Most of the people who park at Wilson at Downsview are coming from outside Toronto.

IMO, the issue is that the land uses in North York are similar to Vaughan and both are very car dependent. Its mostly single family detached, and so bus service is not very good to get to the stations. I imagine many of the people who park at the stations will probably just drive downtown since it will be quicker, and not a major price difference considering you gotta pay 4$ a day to park at the subway.

What interests me is the Downsview Park station. There's no parking though, but I can't see why people won't just park at the food merchant's market next to it.

It all depends on where you are going in Toronto. If you are going to the ACC for a Raptors/Leafs game parking next to Union Station is 25 dollars or more during events. Factor in alcohol and ride checks and it starts to make more sense to drive to the subway in Vaughan.

As for Downsview Park there is likely a method to their madness. If you have an event at Downsview Park it would be overwhelmed rather quickly with event attendees etc. I would bet my reputation on the fact that given the events that go on at Downsview Park they likely wanted transit access not parking access.

When I went to the SARS Benefit Concert in 2003 we ended up parking at York University and walking along the Allen to Downsview Park after being shuttled close to the venue. When we left it was a mad dash to Keele Street because there was throngs of people everywhere. We could not have got our car from Downsview or Wilson if our lives depended on it as there were simply too many people.

Back