Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

If the Liberals are looking for seats in York Region come election time, being able to say "we will have construction underway on the North Yonge Subway extension within 6 months.

If the Liberals are looking to start the Yonge extension before 2016 they had better begin construction of the Downtown Relief Line immediately. The Yonge extension is a no-go without it.

Yes that's the main problem. The Yonge line is ready to go, but the DRL is just getting planning started. Hopefully by the time they start dishing out money for the projects the DRL has a complete EA so both projects can begin immediately.

If the Liberals are looking to start the Yonge extension before 2016 they had better begin construction of the Downtown Relief Line immediately. The Yonge extension is a no-go without it.

Yonge extension shouldn't open without the DRL.

Nothing says they can't start the tunnels on Yonge first. Yonge is ready to be tunnelled but the DRL isn't.

If funding is approved it's going to be for a very large number of projects in one shot. There will be overlap during construction.

Last edited:
Yonge extension shouldn't open without the DRL.

Nothing says they can't start the tunnels on Yonge first. Yonge is ready to be tunnelled but the DRL isn't.

If funding is approved it's going to be for a very large number of projects in one shot. There will be overlap during construction.

Should have been more careful with my wording. They can begin tunneling the Yonge extension before the DRL starts, but they need to make sure that the DRL is completed before or at the same times as Yonge.

One good thing about starting Yonge before 2016 is that it will make it difficult for the Conservatives to cancel the DRL if Metrolinx and Toronto sign an agreement saying that Yonge North cannot open without DRL completion.

they could always move ahead with the Yonge line without the DRL as long as they sink money into rebuilding bloor-yonge, which should probably be done regardless of whether the DRL gets built or not.

if we only had to live with the overcrowding on the yonge line with a rebuilt Bloor Yonge for a year or two while the DRL was finished, I would be perfectly fine with it.

They can't shut Bloor down for any amount of time, but downstairs they can sure build a new South platform which would also prompt the commuters going East not to have to move down so much.

They can't shut Bloor down for any amount of time, but downstairs they can sure build a new South platform which would also prompt the commuters going East not to have to move down so much.

Yeah, a second platform at the Yonge stop on the Bloor line would be a sound investment.

I think you've understood incorrectly.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Can you educate us with the correct understanding?

They would be suitable for Yonge because it is fairly straight. The DRL will have curves on all axis (X, Y, and Z) which may require a larger bore hole at those curved points than the Spadina TBMs would create; I don't know but it's possible.

There's a number of curves in the Spadina extension, why wouldn't they be suitable for any curves needed in the DRL?

There's a number of curves in the Spadina extension, why wouldn't they be suitable for any curves needed in the DRL?

Building code is largely based on lessons learned. We may learn that clearances in Spadina still aren't large enough for a train to pass workers on a curve walkway safely. That, I believe, was the main reason why Spadina bores are larger than Sheppards.

The Yonge extension being fairly straight is much more likely to meet new requirements with the existing TBMs.

Worth noting is that there is no obvious reason why the DRL couldn't use Eglinton's TBMs if additional safety buffer space is required. Even if two are put onto Sheppard LRT, all 4 TBMs would be available for the DRL by 2016.

Last edited:
my understanding was that the bloor - yonge reconstruction would cost $500 million, and would likely require common weekend shutdowns.

my understanding was that the bloor - yonge reconstruction would cost $500 million, and would likely require common weekend shutdowns.
Depends on how extensive. I assume that would be for a second Yonge platform. I think I heard a third Bloor platform would be a lot more than that.

Building code is largely based on lessons learned. We may learn that clearances in Spadina still aren't large enough for a train to pass workers on a curve walkway safely.

Your previous post seemed to assume that the Spadina tunnels will be too narrow for trains to safely pass workers and the DRL would need wider tunnels. I can't see the tunnels being too narrow given that there is a ledge for walking in the tunnels.

According to the One City plan, the Bloor-Yonge station upgrade was costed at $995M. There was no indication what that involved.

It should also be noted that the DRL report from last year assumed that this station improvement would be done. Actually, the report concluded that the station improvements did a lot more to "relieve" the Yonge crowding than the DRL.

Your previous post seemed to assume that the Spadina tunnels will be too narrow for trains to safely pass workers and the DRL would need wider tunnels. I can't see the tunnels being too narrow given that there is a ledge for walking in the tunnels.

The minimum required tunnel size has been bumped several times; frequently after a large section is built.

It's the job of the fire chief and various others to make things safer and we almost never say no, even if its safe enough. At some point they're going to inspect the work done on Spadina and give recommendations which will be used for the next line.

At this time nobody knows what specs the DRL will be required to have, but I can speculate on what changes are easy to recommend and tunnel size is one of them.

Heck, if obesity continues the way it has, I wouldn't be surprised if a track-side walkway which can handle a motorized scooter is required at some point in the next 20 years for emergency purposes. Trains would be equipped with a ramp that goes to the walkway rather than track level. I can't imagine the doorman, who may be 250lbs and out of shape, trying to assist a number of 350lb 80 year old boomers riding 100lb motorized scooters out of a smoke filled train.

Last edited:

Back