News   Apr 23, 2024
 261     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto shootings

Coming from a black community I really don't feel safe anymore. It's sad.

How about we stop giving bail to people with a history of violent crime in toronto...

The police say a lot of these guys just go in and out of jail.

Like i think more social assistance and such is good but that deals with the issue 5 years down the line, what about now.

Also I think the shootings are 'not bad' but i think they can go out of control if we react with indifference.

How about we stop giving bail to people with a history of violent crime in toronto...

Like i think more social assistance and such is good but that deals with the issue 5 years down the line, what about now.

Also I think the shootings are 'not bad' but i think they can go out of control if we react with indifference.
This is not rocket science. Crime (and shootings) started to go up 4 years ago.
Crime, punishment, bail are all federal responsibilities.
I wonder what federal event occurred about 4 years ago that switched us to a softer on crime path?.

Last edited:

Cash bail is a failed, out moded idea that is being discontinued around the world.

We have more people clogging up jail cells who have NOT been convicted of any crime......some 59% of those in provincial jails!

As usual, pay no attention to Burloak who purposefully lies, misleads and otherwise confirms his poor education and thought process with every post.

The issue of bail is addressed here: https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/jr/rib-reb/bail-liberte/index.html

The system needs to be replaced with one that looks solely at the risk to the community of releasing someone from custody, rather than punitively trying to extract cash from people who often lack such resources, most particularly when they haven't
even been convicted of anything.

A secondary issue is that it continues to take too long in Canada for matters to go to trial.

There are a series of issues than need to be addressed to get everyone down to a trial within six months of being charged, which I think is reasonable.

- More judges and prosecutors relative to the number of charged persons/cases pending.
- Adequate court room spaces.
- The need to further remove unnecessary offences from the criminal law, wherever practical, including simple-possession drug cases and prostitution related offenses (consenting adults)
- The need to reform or abolish the jury system (smaller juries, reasonable wage compensation for juries, standardized jury charges to reduce appeals)

Amongst other matters.

The most cost-effective actions remain those that prevent someone taking up a life of crime in the first place.

- Address income inequality, and poverty
- Address the prevalence of fire arms.
- Ensure everyone feels they have hope/opportunity
- Squeeze the blackmarket through legalization where practical

But how? I already give up over 40% of my modest family income to taxes.

I refuse to use Fordianisms like efficiencies. Instead the solution may be to get government out of some roles entirely, and then use that money to build more permanent affordable housing, including supporting housing for the mentally ill and addicted. But what government departments do we cut? Here's where the money goes, at the provincial level. What's in the Other Programs?

Screen-Shot-2018-03-28-at-2.31.14-PM.png

Last edited:
Cash bail is a failed, out moded idea that is being discontinued around the world.

We have more people clogging up jail cells who have NOT been convicted of any crime......some 59% of those in provincial jails!

As usual, pay no attention to Burloak who purposefully lies, misleads and otherwise confirms his poor education and thought process with every post.

The issue of bail is addressed here: https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/jr/rib-reb/bail-liberte/index.html

The system needs to be replaced with one that looks solely at the risk to the community of releasing someone from custody, rather than punitively trying to extract cash from people who often lack such resources, most particularly when they haven't
even been convicted of anything.

A secondary issue is that it continues to take too long in Canada for matters to go to trial.

There are a series of issues than need to be addressed to get everyone down to a trial within six months of being charged, which I think is reasonable.

- More judges and prosecutors relative to the number of charged persons/cases pending.
- Adequate court room spaces.
- The need to further remove unnecessary offences from the criminal law, wherever practical, including simple-possession drug cases and prostitution related offenses (consenting adults)
- The need to reform or abolish the jury system (smaller juries, reasonable wage compensation for juries, standardized jury charges to reduce appeals)

Amongst other matters.

The most cost-effective actions remain those that prevent someone taking up a life of crime in the first place.

- Address the prevalence of fire arms.
- Ensure everyone feels they have hope/opportunity
- Squeeze the blackmarket through legalization where practical

Yes you need bail reform, yes income disparity but the elephant in the room is morality. It is not even in our vocabulary nowadays. I was born in Toronto and I have been poor and hungry but have never held a gun or considered hurting or stealing from others. The government can only do so much. There are stop signs all over the city, but it is the decision of each citizen to stop and respect the community as a whole. We know there are selfish people in Toronto, Markham, Brampton - everywhere, but if people raise their children properly crime doesn't get a foothold. There is no amount of taxpayer dollars that can create a civil society from a population that doesn't care.

Yes you need bail reform, yes income disparity but the elephant in the room is morality. It is not even in our vocabulary nowadays. I was born in Toronto and I have been poor and hungry but have never held a gun or considered hurting or stealing from others. The government can only do so much. There are stop signs all over the city, but it is the decision of each citizen to stop and respect the community as a whole. We know there are selfish people in Toronto, Markham, Brampton - everywhere, but if people raise their children properly crime doesn't get a foothold. There is no amount of taxpayer dollars that can create a civil society from a population that doesn't care.

The crime rate in Toronto was higher than it is today in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and the early 2000s.

I'm not really prepared to entertain that 'morality' has gone down the drain while we have fewer homicides, fewer serious assaults etc.

What I am prepared to entertain is that there have always been people who would break the law if it was easy to do so; there have always been people who will break the law out of ignorance or persevered necessity.

What we do is tackle those things by enforcing through automation what we used to through people (running reds, stop signs and/or speeding are all enforceable by cameras)

What we do is ensure that everyone receives a good education, which should always (and currently does) feature discussions of good citizenship and character.

Points of emphasis naturally change and will cycle based on what is more problematic at a given time. Sexual consent, littering, the environment, helping the elderly etc etc.

Doubtless some things need cycling again, that will forever be the case.

I refuse to use Fordianisms like efficiencies. Instead the solution may be to get government out of some roles entirely, and then use that money to build more permanent affordable housing, including supporting housing for the mentally ill and addicted. But what government departments do we cut? Here's where the money goes, at the provincial level. What's in the Other Programs?

Is the growing incomes of the 1% a concern. Statistics seem to show the 1% did very well from the early 1990's to the mid-2000's.
In the mid-2000's to the mid-2010's, it appears the government focused there efforts on benefiting the middle and working class.
Recently, the 1% is getting the benefits again.

While top income earners have actually lost ground under the Conservatives, Canada is still significantly less egalitarian than it was during the early 1980s.

Canada's top 1% saw fastest income acceleration, overall decrease in taxes

Yes, I think having the top earners paying little to no income tax via loop holes is a problem. Close the loop holes on dividend income/loss right offs, etc. so that every income level pays the correct rate below.

What Are The Canada Tax Brackets for 2018?
IncomeTax Rate
The first $46,60515%
$46,605 to $93,20820.5%
$93,208 to $144,48926%
$144,489 to $205,84229%
over $205,84233%

Merge Catholic and Public schools at a conservative savings of 2B per year

Better still, eliminate school boards all together, as New Brunswick has already done and Quebec is now doing.

Savings, at least another 500M per year.

A streamlined tax regime on a revenue-neutral basis, which treated all forms of income equally, deducted taxes from dividends and capital gains at source, and which eliminated 80% of all current deductions and loopholes for business and individuals would save at least 2B per year federally, and 500M provincially.

Moving to eliminate overt corporate welfare (I'm excluding culture here) would save not less than 10B Federally and not less than 1.5B provincially each year.

Streamlining social assistance by folding money from specialty programs into the general per person amount; and by merging the shelter allowance and the personal expenses amount and by eliminating asset limits and increasing income clawbacks substantially would be at least 500M

Merging OW and ODSP would save another 500M

What am I at? 5.5B per year in Ontario alone (provincial level). That's enough to (take your choice) fund pharmacare for every person in Ontario to the tune of 200 common drugs, without any federal contribution at all.

Or, you could increase social assistance payments to OW singles by $200 per month

If you then removed non-useful incarceration of non-convicted, non-dangerous persons; as well as non-violent convicts (replacing prison w/community service and/or fines) you'd be good for another 1B easy.

Then, we can talk about revenue from legalizing adult, consenting prostitution as well as a broader range of drugs/substances; minimum 2B per year (income tax, corporate tax, sales tax)

Then we can ditch property tax exemptions for religious institutions, that will drive well in excess of 1B in Ontario.

So, we can now afford both the pharmacare and the OW enhancement.

If we raise minimum wage to $17CAD per hour, province-wide (that's less than New York State's current number); we should spin off more than 2B in new revenue per year.

That should allow us to go to $300 more per OW recipient.

Now if corporate taxes for small businesses were put back to the same as the general corporate rate, with no further increase (which was the historical norm though the 1980s) we'd spin off another 2B easy.

Throw in a modest raise of 1% in corporate tax to well below historic highs in Ontario and we now have enough for $400 extra per OW recipient.

Should we raise the VAT/HST back to 15% its historic norm, a 2 point raise provincially, which is what Quebec and the maritime provinces have already done........

There's another 6B, or enough to balance the budget, reduce debt to GDP and still have some more pocket money for say low-income dental care not dependent on whether you're on OW/ODSP.

There ya go!

Based on the past few pages of discussion, the solution to the shooting problem is similar to the problem of excessive wealth of the top 1%.

a) Either, we try out a series of dozens of measures which theoretically might solve the problem, although the unintended consequences are not clear, or
b) Go back to the government we had 4 years ago and these were proven not to be a problems then.

Back