News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Toronto shootings

Ottawa is up around 40% with that said i blame many yes the feds the city and police all refuse to address it as a serious matter.
It's still a pittance, and if you avoid gangs you'll likely never experience gun violence. But one of the top three below is much more likely to touch you.

Unnecessary Deaths by cause per year in Canada
  • Alcohol-related: 100,000 (MADD Canada)
  • Medical mistakes: 30,000 (University Health Network)
  • Opioid overdose: 4,000+ (Public Health Agency of Canada)
  • Homicide by gun: 266 (Statscan)

It's still a pittance, and if you avoid gangs you'll likely never experience gun violence. But one of the top three below is much more likely to touch you.

Unnecessary Deaths by cause per year in Canada
  • Alcohol-related: 100,000 (MADD Canada)
  • Medical mistakes: 30,000 (University Health Network)
  • Opioid overdose: 4,000+ (Public Health Agency of Canada)
  • Homicide by gun: 266 (Statscan)

If you can avoid then your 100% correct however the area i live in gangs are starting to move in.

Lol at avoiding areas.

While you are at it don't go to any Italian restaurants

And don't go to public events (like the Raptor parade)

Lol at avoiding areas.

Its fine to say avoid areas known to be hot beds but when you can't go to a certain area of your own community because of safety issues that is a concern.

Lol at avoiding areas.

You don’t need to avoid areas where gangs congregate, like malls, sports games, Jane&Finch, Malvern or TCHC properties. There are three million people in this city, and another two million commuters each weekday. As long as you avoid criminal activity and informing on or disrespecting a gangsta, unless you’re unlucky enough to take a stray bullet, you're fine. Of the 266 gun-related homicides across all of Canada's 34 million residents last year, I'd guess less than ten were innocent bystanders.

Since 1998 I have lived right beside Regent Park. I have seen several homicide scenes during those 21 years, and never once was a non-targeted person killed. Now if you want to avoid dying from a non-natural cause, stop excessive drinking and taking street drugs, watch out for drunk drivers, and stay healthy and out of hospital, where medical mistakes will take you out.

Even with the ultra low risk to myself and most Canadians, I still want TPS, Justice and government to go hardcore on the gangstas in order to help those innocents who live amongst the gangs, that are rightfully afraid to speak up. We’ll never clean up this mess otherwise.

Last edited:
I think the flaw i have when people say "dont worry its only criminals shooting each other"...

They are more saying its just some black youths shooting each other who cares...

Sounds rather dehumanizing and frankly i personally think that if so many young people are shooting each other, we should try to reduce it :)

I think the flaw i have when people say "dont worry its only criminals shooting each other"...

They are more saying its just some black youths shooting each other who cares...

Sounds rather dehumanizing and frankly i personally think that if so many young people are shooting each other, we should try to reduce it :)

Of course we should try to reduce it; I really don't believe anyone here suggested different.

I would also be careful about casting about racial motivations of any form; I can't imagine that when white members of motorcycle gangs or the mafia kill each other that there is profound public sympathy.

That doesn't mean people don't want less violence and wouldn't be quite happy to see those people live.

I believe the suggestion, more fairly interpreted was simply keep your own nose clean, and you will probably be fine; being paranoid isn't useful.

There are multiple actions that need to be taken to combat violence in this City; but that can be done without imagining the risk is higher than it is or that this City doesn't remain one of the world's safest.

Of course we should try to reduce it; I really don't believe anyone here suggested different.

I would also be careful about casting about racial motivations of any form; I can't imagine that when white members of motorcycle gangs or the mafia kill each other that there is profound public sympathy.

That doesn't mean people don't want less violence and wouldn't be quite happy to see those people live.

I believe the suggestion, more fairly interpreted was simply keep your own nose clean, and you will probably be fine; being paranoid isn't useful.

There are multiple actions that need to be taken to combat violence in this City; but that can be done without imagining the risk is higher than it is or that this City doesn't remain one of the world's safest.

In Ottawa the police have out reach programs into Somalia communitys which i think is the rights step it goes from hosting basketball games to family fun days the goal is to try and form a bond with the community.

In Ottawa the police have out reach programs into Somalia communitys which i think is the rights step it goes from hosting basketball games to family fun days the goal is to try and form a bond with the community.
I believe possession of an illegal firearm is a deportable crime. So, why not make the Somali community safer by arresting those with arms and guilty of other applicable crimes and deport them to Somalia. They’re making it dangerous for their neighbours, so I care little if we make it dangerous for them.

As a citizen-immigrant myself to this country I very much support stripping criminals of their citizenship and deporting them back to their countries of origin. If the police find me with an illegal gun you have my permission to take my Canadian citizenship and ship my ass back to Britain, even though I left as a five year old and because personal responsibility is anathema, can claim Canada made me a criminal.

Last edited:
I believe possession of an illegal firearm is a deportable crime. So, why not make the Somali community safer by arresting those with arms and guilty of other applicable crimes and deport them to Somalia. They’re making it dangerous for their neighbours, so I care little if we make it dangerous for them.

As a citizen-immigrant myself to this country I very much support stripping criminals of their citizenship and deporting them back to their countries of origin. If the police find me with an illegal gun you have my permission to take my Canadian citizenship and ship my ass back to Britain, even though I left as a five year old and because personal responsibility is anathema, can claim Canada made me a criminal.
At least they could increase the resident time to obtain citizenship.
Maybe 10 years is more appropriate - even a hardened criminal is likely to no be caught within 3 years.
(Could maybe have stages of citizenship where you can vote after 5 years.)

Can someone tell me why there are so many shootings these days and why are the victims young? What measures do we have in place to control these shootings? I am starting to think we need more activities for the youth to engage in.

Can someone tell me why there are so many shootings these days and why are the victims young? What measures do we have in place to control these shootings? I am starting to think we need more activities for the youth to engage in.
For a city with a daytime population of over 5 million I'd say we do not have so many shootings. Young? They're always young because they're impressionable, impulsive and feel invincible. That's why the military recruits the young, since you can't reliably expect those with lived experience to march into danger for the sake of a flag.

Last edited:

The Admiral is on point.

The Economist reviewed the safety of the world's major cities earlier this year.

Toronto was ranked #4 overall for safety, which encompassed a range of metrics. The metric personal safety saw Toronto rank #5. That is the category that considers whether one is likely to be a victim of violent crime.

So #5 safest City in the world; give or take. It really only gets 4 spots better.

That doesn't mean we should casually accept shootings, which are up somewhat this year.

We can, and should, drive that number down some. But let's not panic, we're doing pretty good.

We know who commits violent crimes in every society on earth, its predominantly men, aged 14-29.

We know that there is a correlation between education level and crime; between income inequality (more than poverty) and crime; and we know the availability of firearms is also part of the issue.

Its not rocket science.

Lets make it more difficult to obtain a handgun. That won't eliminate shootings or violent crime, but should take it down a notch on its own.

Lets raise the minimum wage, and social assistance payments, and reduce the poverty trap; having something to lose is a good way to cut back on crime.

Lets open recreation centres on Saturday and Sunday evenings (currently most in Toronto close at around 4pm on the weekends), that's just stupid. Rec. Centres and outdoor pools, in-season should be open 6am-Midnight, 7 days a week.

Between those three actions we ought to be able to knock-back violent crime by somewhere between 20-40%.

If can do that, we'll move up the list to being the 3rd or 4th safest city in the world.

Back