News   May 03, 2024
 171     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 526     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto shootings

What a crap dismantling!

So we're not in the bottom 50 worldwide? Shocker there, quite an accomplishment!

Safer than Montreal? They've averaged 32 murders over the last 13 years and are on a downward trajectory, we've averaged 73 and are on an upward trajectory (we were in the mid 50s between 2011-2015 then hit 75, 65, 96). Back in the '70s, '80s, '90s Montreal was way more violent than Toronto but they are currently at 12 (!) on a pace for 16 (!). We're currently at 54 on a pace for 70.

And the Economist report you cite is from 2017 and only compares 60 cities worldwide. Where are Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Helsinki, Oslo, Copenhagen.. just to name a few. The 2019 report has dropped us to 6th overall and 8th in personal security.
The Economist must be watching too much CP 24!

First off, according to TPS analytics, which is a site I have known about and used for sometime...........

Toronto is currently at 52 homicides (how did you get 54????); and that puts us on pace for 67 for the year. Which is not only a relatively low number, but also vastly lower than last year and also lower than 2016 (YTD comparison)

Second, my head isn't in the sand, which you would know if you'd read my posts throughout this thread. But you have been so caught up in your own world as to not pay careful attention to the facts; or the facts stated by anyone else.

Yes, shootings are up, no its not ok, yes we should do something about it. But no we shouldn't panic. I've said that in greater detail, repeatedly with concrete suggestions for action. While you just troll.

Stop. I always welcome intelligent, respectful, well-researched opinions of all kinds. There has been no suggestion that your posts fit those criteria to date, on balance. If they can, great, let's go there, if not, please refrain from posting further here.

First off, according to TPS analytics, which is a site I have known about and used for sometime...........

Toronto is currently at 52 homicides (how did you get 54????); and that puts us on pace for 67 for the year. Which is not only a relatively low number, but also vastly lower than last year and also lower than 2016 (YTD comparison)

Second, my head isn't in the sand, which you would know if you'd read my posts throughout this thread. But you have been so caught up in your own world as to not pay careful attention to the facts; or the facts stated by anyone else.

Yes, shootings are up, no its not ok, yes we should do something about it. But no we shouldn't panic. I've said that in greater detail, repeatedly with concrete suggestions for action. While you just troll.

Stop. I always welcome intelligent, respectful, well-researched opinions of all kinds. There has been no suggestion that your posts fit those criteria to date, on balance. If they can, great, let's go there, if not, please refrain from posting further here.
WTF? Are you: a flat-earther, a Trump voter? You don't understand how I "got 54"?

If you "know about" and have "used for sometime" the TPS site then you must surely be familiar with the landing page: the 'News Release' page, aren't you?

I can't believe I have to do this..

Look at line 5..

I mean, FFS! there's no excuse for us being idiots anymore - it's all there!

I'm beginning to doubt the veracity of many of your other posts as you seem to know next to nothing about this issue yet you continie to prattle on as if you do.

If you're so willing to obfuscate over facts that are so easy to verify - Trump 2020!

Make Northern Light Great Again!
Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 02.47.33.png

Last edited:
WTF? Are you: a flat-earther, a Trump voter? You don't understand how I "got 54"?

If you "know about" and have "used for sometime" the TPS site then you must surely be familiar with the landing page: the 'News Release' page, aren't you?

I can't believe I have to do this..

Look at line 5..

I mean, FFS! there's no excuse for us being idiots anymore - it's all there!

I'm beginning to doubt the veracity of many of your other posts as you seem to know next to nothing about this issue yet you continie to prattle on as if you do.

If you're so willing to obfuscate over facts that are so easy to verify - Trump 2020!

Make Northern Light Great Again!
View attachment 207513

You do realize I used the data set you suggested.

I also googled Toronto homicides 2019 and the press release did not come up on the first page.

You have evidence is support of that number; which is great, I stand corrected on that point.

But your choice to be obnoxious and rude once more does no service to you as a human being.

You can be persuasive in a calm tone; try it.

Even with 67 - the 4 worst years for homicides are the 4 years of Trudeau gov't. Those who believe that soft on crime, easy parole are important ingredients - the blame can be firmly put on Trudeau.
For those who believe that local police issues are the problem, then perhaps John Tory can be blamed.
For those who believe that elimination of carding is the problem, the blame can be put on Kathleen Wynne.
If you look at national statistics, you realize that this is a national problem, so the 1st theory hold the most weight.

Even with 67 - the 4 worst years for homicides are the 4 years of Trudeau gov't. Those who believe that soft on crime, easy parole are important ingredients - the blame can be firmly put on Trudeau.
For those who believe that local police issues are the problem, then perhaps John Tory can be blamed.
For those who believe that elimination of carding is the problem, the blame can be put on Kathleen Wynne.
If you look at national statistics, you realize that this is a national problem, so the 1st theory hold the most weight.

I see you totally ignore that Sears has shut down in Canada and gun violence went up? Why do you deny this obvious cause?

It was interesting listening to a York Region police officer talking about a shooting in Newmarket last night. He promptly pulled out the blame Toronto trope via coded language that "we're now seeing gun violence doesn't follow municipal boundaries" and "guns are now flowing into our communities." I would say they have heir head in the sand because guns, organised crime, and gun violence have been a fixture in York Region for 20 years, but they do know that. I guess all the excuses they used to use to not bother with it are played out. You can only blame so much on Italian mafia wars spilling over from across the Atlantic; something which for some reason people are fine with becacuse they are viewed with glamour tinted glasses in the eyes of the public. But it was never really that. And now without that convenient excuse their flumoxxed investigators will actually have to do work about it! I wonder how long until we hear York Region and Peel region police at council meetings saying "Toronto-style gun problems require Toronto Police staffing levels" with requests to add $100 million to their operating budgets.

I also googled Toronto homicides 2019 and the press release did not come up on the first page.
Don't forget that Google search results can vary based on past searches, clicks, and such, thanks to numerous cookies and trackers, leading to the infamous filter bubble.

Last edited:
It was interesting listening to a York Region police officer talking about a shooting in Newmarket last night. He promptly pulled out the blame Toronto trope via coded language that "we're now seeing gun violence doesn't follow municipal boundaries" and "guns are now flowing into our communities." I would say they have heir head in the sand because guns, organised crime, and gun violence have been a fixture in York Region for 20 years, but they do know that. I guess all the excuses they used to use to not bother with it are played out. You can only blame so much on Italian mafia wars spilling over from across the Atlantic; something which for some reason people are fine with becacuse they are viewed with glamour tinted glasses in the eyes of the public. But it was never really that. And now without that convenient excuse their flumoxxed investigators will actually have to do work about it! I wonder how long until we hear York Region and Peel region police at council meetings saying "Toronto-style gun problems require Toronto Police staffing levels" with requests to add $100 million to their operating budgets.

Well, funny they didn't mind the subway flowing into their region though. Har har - and how many mayors have run in with the law now? (actually, let me rephrase - how many mayors didn't have run in with the law now?)

AoD

I would say they have heir head in the sand because guns, organised crime, and gun violence have been a fixture in York Region for 20 years, but they do know that. I guess all the excuses they used to use to not bother with it are played out.
No one cares about the Italian mafia. They keep their conflicts to themselves and wack carefully when needed. It's the young gangtas spraying bullets that are venturing out of TCHC territory that is worrying everyone now.

It's these guys we're fine with....

main-qimg-7f89a6ae9855bdc832ff3428dbe8aafc.webp

These guys, not so much...

realtoronto_1.jpg

There was a mafia linked murder at an Italian restaurant on Roncevalles about a month ago.

And another at Tony's Espresso bar o Dufferin. Interesting to note that this establishment catered one of Ford's campaign events.

When the people in power have close ties to organized crime don't expect them to really do anything about it.

True, and a good example of mob sloppiness. At least the mafia paid her a couple of million $. That's not likely happening with our street gang shootouts.

That's a weak response - organized crime constitute a far more existential threat than random bangers that have little to no access to conventional political power.

AoD

There was a mafia linked murder at an Italian restaurant on Roncevalles about a month ago.

And another at Tony's Espresso bar o Dufferin. Interesting to note that this establishment catered one of Ford's campaign events.

When the people in power have close ties to organized crime don't expect them to really do anything about it.

Plus a number of bombings and arsons, etc. It is utterly bizarre to harbour any kind romantic notions about them.

AoD

Back