Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

I found photos to be somewhat ineffective in capturing the tint of the cladding under the sun, considering how easily the CCD gets saturated.

AoD

Okay, here's my silver-looking cladding:
473225334_e07e93f290_m.jpg

This bit of the restaurant's crystal looked silver as I moved the whole length of philosopher's walk.

You can find this and my other ROM exterior pics, all much larger, here.

I think I got a few good ones...

Attachments

• 473225334_e07e93f290_m.jpg
    473225334_e07e93f290_m.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 199
Hmmm, that's odd... why just a small portion of it? Or is it the lighting? It looks better than the white.

More money for the ROM, reported by the Globe:

IN BRIEF
CIBC to fund first season of newly designed ROM

VAL ROSS

CIBC has signed on as inaugural-season sponsor of the Royal Ontario Museum's about-to-be-unveiled Michael Lee-Chin Crystal. The bank will contribute to the first-year operations of the still-under-construction ROM, which will open its doors in just five weeks.

CIBC is contributing about $750,000 to the season sponsorship (bringing its total contribution to Renaissance ROM to $2-million), cementing a connection that goes back to the ROM's founding chairman, Sir Edmund Walker, who was president of the Canadian Bank of Commerce from 1907 to 1924.

The gift is to be announced today by museum CEO William Thorsell, who will unveil some recent acquisitions: fossils of marine dinosaurs.

And more pics, by pattina at flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pattina/sets/72157600092314529/

AoD

wow that looks amazing, this will be the building in all the architecture books when it comes to defining toronto.

Walked by the site today and the cladding looked fantastic. Like RBP this building really lights up the surroundings on gloomy days like this.

Plans still crystallizing
TheStar.com - artsentertainment - Plans still crystallizing

April 27, 2007
Martin Knelman

Is William Thorsell, CEO of the Royal Ontario Museum, getting nervous as the June 1 opening date for Daniel Libeskind's much-hyped Michael Lee-Chin Crystal looms ever closer?

Yesterday, during a media conference about sponsorship and new acquisitions, Thorsell noted that one of the workers scrambling to get the final touches done gave Thorsell a friendly jab on the shoulder and said, "Don't worry, we'll be ready."

But Thorsell admits he is caught in a classic renovation saga, like parents fretting about whether their renovation will be ready for the wedding.

And, he notes, this is no ordinary construction job. Unlike plain old condo buildings, the ROM project involves artistry and craftsmanship, a custom job in which expert furniture makers cut and fit every piece on site.

All of which had Libeskind on his most recent visit raving about the quality of drywalling you get in Toronto.

Thorsell has a talent for making a virtue of what others might consider a negative. So he describes the fact that the Crystal will still be months away from having its exhibits installed as a unique opportunity for Torontonians to wander around empty space and experience architecture "nude and pure."

Still, Thorsell is shrewdly revealing plans for the ROM's big extravaganza in a gradual way.

Yesterday, he provided a spotlight for the CIBC, and for two recent acquisitions that fall into the Coming to a Museum Near You Soon category: the Mughal suit of armour from late 18th-century India (opening next February on level 3 of the Crystal) and a marine reptile known as Leptonectes tenuirostris, thought to be 195 million years old (on display starting in December).

Among the many banks contributing to the ROM's $250 million-plus capital campaign, CIBC is the one that has the most cherished historical ties with the museum, going back to 1912, when Sir Edmund Walker, head of the bank, served as the ROM's first chairman.

Luminato, the new arts festival launching itself in Toronto the same weekend, is including the ROM opening as one of its free events and is giving the museum publicity.

But it is the CIBC that is stepping forward and putting up the money to allow for free admission on opening week. As well, the bank has been designated as official Inaugural Season Sponsor on a year-long series of celebrations marking the completion of each gallery in the building.

That might sound like a huge undertaking, but actually CIBC's total contribution to the ROM is $2 million, of which $1.25 million went to the capital campaign. That leaves $750,000 to help with all the opening celebrations.

One significant point the ROM has kept rather quiet is that the opening bash will be a two-tier affair, sort of like health care in the future. On June 2, Bloor St. will be closed, and thousands of spectators will enjoy a free 75-minute show of singing, dancing, comedy and dazzling special effects.

Then, after the show, they will be able to enter the building and marvel at the architecture, without being distracted by irrelevant exhibitions of objects.

But, of course, the ROM's key supporters won't be sitting in the bleachers mixing with the common folk that night. On June 1, the night before the free event, 500 of the elite will attend a gala fundraiser inside the Crystal.

This is sure to be one of the most lavish cultural/social events the city has seen for some time. Some high-end supporters are paying as much as $50,000 for a table. And the event is already sold out. After dinner, about 1,000 more people will arrive for a late-night reception (price: $250 a head), which gives them a chance to see Libeskind's work a day before the mobs who get in for free.

So far the ROM has said nothing about the blockbuster entertainment planned for June 2, but my spies have offered a sneak preview. Paul Gross, star of stage and screen, will be the host of the show, which will feature singing, dancing, comedy – and special effects created by Cirque du Soleil.

The show is being created by Mark Shekter (composer, screenwriter and TV producer), with Toronto TV veteran Garry Blye as producer. Michaëlle Jean, the Governor-General, will be onstage for the finale, inviting the crowd to enter the new cultural temple.

Don't forget to check out the drywall.

mknelman@thestar

Aside from interior work and finishing the cladding, the landscaping of the outside courts and sidewalks which feature detailed stone work have yet to even begin. I can see why Thorsell is nervous. :eek:

They could always rent some plastic shrubs for the event. Easy to clean, too.

I guess if you consider it, they can do site cleanup and landscaping in 1 month more or less comfortably. If there is still scaffolding and hoarding up by mid May, then I think Thorsell would be looping a rope.

I think it looks lovely. And it does look like the most recent renderings. I think it'll be magnificient when completed!

Back