Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Re: ROM

The tonal difference in the cladding, once the protective layer has been removed, is quite startling in some areas.

i find the difference in tones a good thing ,seems not as bland.

It looks to me after close inspection that there will no tonal difference. The darker slats are uncovered, the lighter ones still have the protective film.

Better yet, the lines that show where one slat connects to another does not show once the protective film is removed.

I'm still cautious because right now, the crystal is looking a like an old metallic trailer... but I'll reserve judgement for when all the film has been removed and the crystal cleaned up.

I actually like the tonal difference because it gives the building a more textured, natural look. If you ever looked at crystals they are usually covered in these tonal differences.

amethyst.jpg

Now that the ROM's almost done, I can say with confidence that it looks like an aircraft hangar on Homestead AFB after Hurricane Andrew. It could have been great but the aluminum siding just ruins it.

I'm very curious to see how they will utilize the interior space. As for hte exterior appearance- well yes it doesn't seem to be the gleaming crystal that won the competition, however I'll reserve my judgement until the siding is completed and the hoarding all gone.

Why reserve your judgment? I've thought it looked bad ever since the rendering came out...and it's turning out exactly as rendered.

I think it's turning out stunning and I don't think pictures do it any justice. In person it is and will be imposing and impressive. I think it's fine for some to wait until it's complete before judging it. Once we get the sidewalk back and one can walk right up to it I think it will win over those forumers on here who don't feel the fondness towards it that so many of us already do.

It's got my vote....I think it is turning out great!

"Once we get the sidewalk back and one can walk right up to it I think it will win over those forumers on here who don't feel the fondness towards it that so many of us already do."

That's what I hope. But don't get me wrong, I don't hate it by any means. In fact I was in favour of this design. For me it's primarily the 'pewter' cladding that is not living up to expectations so far. Thus I'll reserve judgement until it's all up and I can get a fuller picture.

I too love the design and will hold off until it is completed but at this point, I think the cladding cheapens the look. While it may have been impractical, titainum, even if dulled, would have looked superior.

^ Well, yes. So would a coating of solid platinum, vitrolite, or kryptonite. Practicality (and "actually being possible") has to count for something...

Back