Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Mood: optimistic. The westernmost corner of the crystal is cladding-complete, and has all of its protective cover taken off. Didn't look like I saw in photos, and instead looked like - of all the improbable things to look just like - the renderings. A lovely, shiny matte grey. It was late at night, so I'll have to see it in the daylight.

But it didn't have the same vinyl-siding look that the still-covered cladding does; nor the corrugated-shed look that ruined the OCAD expansion at the last minute.

The Crystal will be such a tease at night - peek-a-boo glimpses of dinosaurs trying to get out at us.

The OCAD cladding could easily be changed. What a perfect thing for an art school to have - an exterior that can be redesigned by a different artist every few years - the Sharp Centre is a huge canvas, after all ...

Less easily done with the ROM cladding!

^ It should be interesting to see how the Crystal will be illuminated at night (planned for Opening night), and whether the illumination will be permanent. If the illumination is permanent, and if it changes colours like Niagara Falls, there'll be no problems with the ROM looking the same every day.

I don't think that the OCAD cladding would be changed. It still costs hundreds of thousands of dollars I'm sure. That money could be better spent throughout the OCAD campus. There's that red building on the corner of Dundas & McCaul just begging for another signature building.

But back on subject, I'm glad to hear positive reviews on the ROM's cladding. I'll wait for more of the cladding to be applied before giving a judgement... but with such a high budget, I somehow trust Libeskind and the Thorsell to deliver.

About 12:30 am (earlier if possible), building opens to the public, and remains open, with FREE admission, until 6 pm.
Restaurants and Shop open to the public.

So Bloor Street is closed for a day. We get an open air concert. Then the ROM lets the great unwashed in when it opens at 12:30 AM and free? That's great!

ROM

There will be three stages with live entertainment that lasts about 75 minutes on June 2nd; live entertainment throughout the building at the Big Bang Party the night before.

Re: ROM

So who are the entertainers?

- Canadian Idol winners/rejects?
- The ones that should have gone on retirement long time ago are still waiting for their big break?
- Jann Arden, still singing about she got money in her pocket?

Maybe Sanjaya will make his special appearance, with Crystal-inspired hair-do?

canadian top 40 artists blow. get oscar peterson up there.

Wanna work at the ROM? Found this in my email...

Hi,

The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) has undergone a $250 million major expansion to its facilities. In addition, it will open two new restaurants, ROM World Diner and Crystal Five, in June 2007. Compass is proud to serve the dining facilities in this museum.

We will be hosting a job fair at the ROM on Monday, April 23, 2007 between 3:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. to recruit many full-time and part-time associates for the restaurants.

"Associate."

Always sounds so much more important than being a mere "employee."

Compass runs the ROM's Rotunda Cafe, which is passable at best.

Back