Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I only follow baseball casually, so I haven't really noticed those sunken boxes before, but is there a benefit to that viewpoint? Seems like it would feel very strange and give you a worse view of what's going on. Curious as to the point or benefit.
I think the main selling feature here would be to be "right in the action".

Otherwise, anyone sitting in the sunken areas would have to strain their necks following any fly ball hit throughout the game.

i sat in the action once and it was incredible being right on turf level. it was far greater than row 1 seats i sat at elsewhere. it was super impressive hearing the pitch hit the catchers mitt, or the crack of the bat, or saying a couple of words back and forth with the player on the on-deck circle. i don't know how that changes or better or worse when it's sunken though. i guess i'll try to snag a pair of in-the-action seats this year if they're going away as i'll probably never have access to a premium box there. You can get them for a reasonable (not that reasonable, but all things considering) price before the summer months on like a monday night vs the rays or someone. that's what i did last time.

I think the main selling feature here would be to be "right in the action".

Otherwise, anyone sitting in the sunken areas would have to strain their necks following any fly ball hit throughout the game.

Like owning a massive SUV, it's less about the practicality than ability to show off a status symbol.
Given that most fans watch the game on TV, I don't know why you'd do something that looks like crap the whole time but then I don't work in an MLB front office so what do I know?

In Cleveland, for example, those sunken dugouts are off to either side of home and this is how the backstop looks on TV.
1675801079513.png

Literally, no fans in view.
Compare that to Rogers Centre.
1675801132157.png

And don't get me wrong - Cleveland is a nice stadium but ugly is ugly. You want to see other human beings reacting and such, right?

(And before they did the In the Action seats at SkyDome there was a camera bay in that little alcove where the attendants prep the food for the lucky ticketholders up there. It looked ugly too.
Not the ideal angle but here is how it looked back in 1993...
1675801419647.png

Last edited:
Like owning a massive SUV, it's less about the practicality than ability to show off a status symbol.
Given that most fans watch the game on TV, I don't know why you'd do something that looks like crap the whole time but then I don't work in an MLB front office so what do I know?

In Cleveland, for example, those sunken dugouts are off to either side of home and this is how the backstop looks on TV.
View attachment 454742

Literally, no fans in view.
Compare that to Rogers Centre.
View attachment 454743

And don't get me wrong - Cleveland is a nice stadium but ugly is ugly. You want to see other human beings reacting and such, right?

(And before they did the In the Action seats, there was a camera bay in that little alcove where the attendants prep the food for the lucky ticketholders up there. It looked ugly too.
Not the ideal angle but here is how it looked back in 1993...
View attachment 454755
They’re deliberately making it look terrible on your 8k UHD 85 inch oled so you buy 70k seats. Shameful.

i sat in the action once and it was incredible being right on turf level. it was far greater than row 1 seats i sat at elsewhere. it was super impressive hearing the pitch hit the catchers mitt, or the crack of the bat, or saying a couple of words back and forth with the player on the on-deck circle. i don't know how that changes or better or worse when it's sunken though. i guess i'll try to snag a pair of in-the-action seats this year if they're going away as i'll probably never have access to a premium box there. You can get them for a reasonable (not that reasonable, but all things considering) price before the summer months on like a monday night vs the rays or someone. that's what i did last time.
Totally, I get the close to the action element, that makes perfect sense. It was the sunken element I can't quite see the benefit of; seems like you're in a bit of a dungeon. Maybe it's like an emulation of the dugout? That might be the angle.

If a ball hits the portion circled in red below, is it a home run? If it is not a home run, (I.e part of the wall) do we know if there is plexiglass inside those gaps?

C0055AD9-9B9B-4973-8D58-D21C495125DF.jpeg

If a ball hits the portion circled in red below, is it a home run? If it is not a home run, (I.e part of the wall) do we know if there is plexiglass inside those gaps?

View attachment 458347
That's part of the wall so a ball has to clear that section to be considered a HR. I'd imagine the openings will be covered with mesh/fencing like in every other ballpark.

Back