Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Looking at US Cellular Field does give hope. When they replace the seating at the dome in the upcoming years I'd like to see a different shade of blue, something similar to the Washington Nationals new ballpark, or Citizen Bank Field in Philadelphia.

Looking at US Cellular Field does give hope. When they replace the seating at the dome in the upcoming years I'd like to see a different shade of blue, something similar to the Washington Nationals new ballpark, or Citizen Bank Field in Philadelphia.

Comparing the old and new versions of New Comiskey, obviously eliminating a chunk of the uppermost rows helped create more intimate environs. That would certainly help the Rogers Centre as well.

Looking closer, the former concrete bunker of an awning was replaced with a more retro style one. Beyond that, the new awning actually allows outside light into the stadium. In terms of growing grass in the RC, perhaps something similar could be done with the 500 level to allow natural light into the stadium and perhaps facilitate the growing of grass.

Mv9vUhc.jpg

catch108stchs-20110715003449.jpg

From a purely pedantic perspective, I'm surprised they're illuminating the ads when a game isn't playing. I'm sure Rogers has no problem paying its electricity bill, but from a purely eco-friendly perspective...

I stayed in one of those hotel rooms once. The stadium lights are left on 24 hours. No wonder my Rogers bill is so high!

Lighting isn't the biggest issue the Jays would face with having natural grass, it's drainage.

Lots of stadiums in the UK use lights to keep the grass green and growing (because there's never any direct sunlight).

304068095_2287610575.jpg

Can we change the name of this thread to:

Rogers Centre SkyDome Renovations

?

Or we can't use the strike-through on titles?

No.

Lighting isn't the biggest issue the Jays would face with having natural grass, it's drainage.

Lots of stadiums in the UK use lights to keep the grass green and growing (because there's never any direct sunlight).

304068095_2287610575.jpg

As per Eric Lyons at U of Guelph, the issue isn't drainage per se but the humidity caused by the grass. According to the interview the fact that there is zero natural light might pose a problem for growing turf inside the RC. Even Emirates Stadium pictured above has natural light coming in at all times. Retrofitting for natural light + humidity is the deal breaker.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episod...grow-grass-inside-the-rogers-centre-1.3515036

Wow--nice turn out. Perhaps the playoffs last year didn't attract merely fair-weather fans. Looks really good.

opening day always attracts big crowds.

I think you are both right....yes, opening day always sells out or comes very close to it....and then there is typically a drop off ....the steepness of the drop off depends on things like days of the week and opponent. In any season where the opening day opponent was Boston on a Friday night the drop off would be less steep than, say, Tampa Bay on a Monday.

All that said, there was a very interesting bit on the Fan590 as I drove home last night during the early innings of the game....at this point last year, it seems, the Jays had sold 1.1 million tickets for the upcoming season....this year that number is 2.1 million.

Last edited:
Crossing my fingers for a recladding, better field atmosphere and possibly new retail around the base.

Don't think the dome will change much other than potentially getting some translucent panels if the Jays want a grass field.

Back