Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Post apocalyptic Toronto, featuring a re-built Skydome. via Google Images

I posted a similar picture somewhere in this thread, but this variation has more realistic lighting:

11245176586_2b84d3037e_b.jpg

I'm wondering, how hot would it get when the dome is closed? And would it not rob fans of some shade in the hotter months?

You must include the source/credit when you post images that you did not create yourself. Again, that's by Matt Borrett, aka @yonderbean.

I'm wondering, how hot would it get when the dome is closed? And would it not rob fans of some shade in the hotter months?

The roof would presumably be open on sunny days like any other open air ballpark, and the majority of games are in the evening during the week. I imagine any new tiling would be translucent ETFE used by other more modern stadiums, and temper any greenhouse effect. It shouldn't dramatically alter the appearance on the exterior either and may only need to be partially employed. But I think all such talk is moot anyway if they can't figure out a way to get grass in there.

Rogers centre a megachurch- L. I don't think a new stadium is in the cards actually, Jays fans will have to settle for a revamp and be satisfied with that for the next 10-15 years. I'm not getting the sense that grass is in the dome's future either. Digging up the floor for drainage, transparent panels, special lighting is all going to get too costly for a stadium that may only have 10 or so more seasons of life. It's surely more than a 6-7 month project, and where would the team play in the meantime- BMO? I think they'll settle for improving the fan experience by refreshing the interior, scoreboard, maybe seating, and further marketing promos.

Any renovation is going to extend the life of the building by 20+ years. There is no way they do anything to the building only to go looking for a new building in 10 years. The economics of it just wont work.

Any renovation is going to extend the life of the building by 20+ years. There is no way they do anything to the building only to go looking for a new building in 10 years. The economics of it just wont work.

Depends on how much they invest in it I suppose- changing the scoreboard and moving seats around may not justify 20+ years. Shapiro says 30 years so I'm assuming there will be significant changes not just cosmetic.

Give fans outside a free place to watch the game. On the west side of the stadium, a large plaza sits windswept and thoroughly unused, even on game days when the east, north and south sides are bursting at the seams. Follow the Air Canada Centre's Maple Leaf Square model. Build a large bright outdoor screen and viewing area. Go even further than MLS: add casual seating opportunities throughout the square: Grass hills and layered grass steps built like bleachers, ledges, and some benches. Monetize the space by licensing food trucks to park in the square.

This leads to a secondary problem: its exterior which was built for an era where nothing but the CN Tower existed around it. Besides the new square on the west side, improve opacity into the activity in the stadium by removing the ticket booths. Add a glass perimeter with views inside. People aren't going to be able to watch the game from here but they'll see the activity inside and those walking around in the stadium will see the outside, resulting in a less claustrophobic experience.

Some additional points:

- Discourage scalper business by placing dozens of electronic kiosks scattered outside the stadium. This replaces the ticket booths and the screens allow for advertising dynamic ticket pricing that changes throughout the day and during the game based on ticket demand and time elapsed.

- The roof needs to be replaced. It's a pretty straightforward decision to replace the opaque skin with transparent roof tiles, whether or not they go ahead with building a grass playing field.

- Rogers would gain a lot of public support and the fans would absolutely go wild if they changed the name to Rogers SkyDome. We all saw how going back to the old Blue Jays logo and branding changed the dynamic of the fans.

- Rogers' study into revitalizing the SkyDome is a perfectly timed opportunity for the city to get involved and encourage decking over that part of the rail deck for the park. If Tory's office isn't engaged with Rogers on this already, it'll be a shocking missed opportunity given Tory's focus on building the park with private money. I'm not sure exactly what incentives could be used but handing the land over the rail deck to Rogers for use with the SkyDome in exchange for building a park over it is an attractive incentive I think.

The Western plaza is used to host Friday fan fest (or whatever they market it as) where they have a band and other activities, and on Saturdays for family days. It has also been used for "Long weekend in the city" events hardly an underused space.

They should partner with whoever is doing the rail deck park and build another square at the north end of the building over the tracks. This can serve as the viewing area a la Maple leaf square.

The ticket office is also constrained with lineups spilling out onto bremner causing both vehicular and pedestrian traffic problems. It needs to be relocated to somewhere that can handle the crowds.

Depends on how much they invest in it I suppose- changing the scoreboard and moving seats around may not justify 20+ years. Shapiro says 30 years so I'm assuming there will be significant changes not just cosmetic.

Something like replacing the seats, and arranging them in a more baseball centric arrangement (now that the Argos are gone) will make a big difference in the in game experience and won't necessarily be a huge expenditure. Small advances like this should be looked at as a part of the business process anyway.

Larger renovations like grass, the exterior, the roof, will be the big money projects but will be looked at because I believe they expect the building to be around for at least another 20-30 years (per the shapiro quote)

Larger renovations like grass, the exterior, the roof, will be the big money projects but will be looked at because I believe they expect the building to be around for at least another 20-30 years (per the shapiro quote)

... so we should be hearing a big announcement about the roof and grass playing field any day now.

... so we should be hearing a big announcement about the roof and grass playing field any day now.

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/how-the-blue-jays-success-could-influence-next-years-expenditures

The Jays have received several reports from University of Guelph scientists on the feasibility of growing turf grass under the dome.

"It's an ongoing study and continues to be on the table," Shapiro said.

I asked Shapiro what the Guelph reports say.

"Just that we need to study it more to understand the precise implications of cost and building design," he said.

In short: don't hold your breath.

There's more news about the stadium renovations in the link

I think we are more likely to hear something once the season is over. What I think happens is:

Phase 1 - Seat replacement and general concourse improvements. Est $25 million project. With Argos gone the aged seats can be replaced with new seats and arranged so that they are more baseball centric i.e. seats point to the infield/pitcher vs the outfield. This may require some adjustments to the concourse areas and section aisles. Project might take the better part of 2 offseasons.

Phase 2 - Depending on the result of the Guelph U study. Installation of Grass or replacement of current artificial turf (which will be pushing 10 yrs by 2020). Project could be well over $100 million if it involves prepping the stadium for real grass. Would require one full offseason, but could be built concurrently with the second year of phase 2

Phase 3 - Roof and exterior treatments. Replacement of roof and refreshing of the exterior of the building. Many options exist here and this may be the flashiest part of the larger renovation project. The roof would be the largest expense, $200 million? Project would likely involve multiple years.

You must include the source/credit when you post images that you did not create yourself. Again, that's by Matt Borrett, aka @yonderbean.

I have no idea where any of the photos I post come from. I go to google images, take an image, and post it. By your logic, any photo posted must give credit to the creator, but who does that?

I have no idea where any of the photos I post come from. I go to google images, take an image, and post it. By your logic, any photo posted must give credit to the creator, but who does that?

Erm - everyone

Are you seriously asking that a moderator explain the concept or prevalence of citation? Just post the URL; 42's not asking for a style guide-approved bibliography here.

Phase 2 - Depending on the result of the Guelph U study. Installation of Grass or replacement of current artificial turf (which will be pushing 10 yrs by 2020). Project could be well over $100 million if it involves prepping the stadium for real grass. Would require one full offseason, but could be built concurrently with the second year of phase 2

Phase 3 - Roof and exterior treatments. Replacement of roof and refreshing of the exterior of the building. Many options exist here and this may be the flashiest part of the larger renovation project. The roof would be the largest expense, $200 million? Project would likely involve multiple years.

Don't think you can have the grass before roof portion of the exterior phrase - it need to grow afterall.

AoD

Don't think you can have the grass before roof portion of the exterior phrase - it need to grow afterall.

AoD

Fair enough. Lets modify the phases slightly then. Grass and roof phase 2. Exterior treatments phase 3. Phase 2 then becomes one ginormous construction project. Dig out ground for grass and repair roof..

Back