News   May 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 609     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

As someone who has interacted with this neighbourhood for nearly thirty years, I can attempt a short answer: In large part, Boomer U of T faculty who bought in at the right time, and the right place.
Its fairly evident walking through the neighbourhood that:

A) despite it being an extremely highly walkable neighbourhood, you will hardly see anyone walking if you venture north of Bloor.

B) if you pay attention to all the daycare facilities and schools in the area, the kids who attend these facilities are being driven to and from Wychwood/Forest Hill and possibly beyond by their parents. They are not locals.

A complete neighbourhood it is not. Jane Jacobs may have famously coined the Annex as such, and it likely was at one point in time (way before my time), but today it is the home of Margaret Atwood types, NIMBY and all.

The most egregious part of this to me is how the neighbourhood is protected by Heritage Conservation Districts to prevent any sort of change in the neighbourhood, despite it having an extremely generous 5 subway stations within it.

City Planning is not helping either, by pushing design guideline policies along the Bloor corridor, the one area of the Annex that is allowed to see intensification (sorta, everything is still being appealed to the OMB and now LPAT), and on Dupont. The TOCore initiative will also be restrictive.

It pains me to see such a well serviced area of the city so close to the downtown core be essentially frozen in time.

Ah, yes, fear of change goes well and far beyond the political sphere.

I think selfishness plays a good part as well. Why should others be housed when certain people like the perks of their geographical location and want to keep it for themselves?

The housing price problem is largely a function of development restrictions within existent built up areas.

As I type this I'm staring at land that could house at least 1000 people that is currently acting as surface parking. Surface friggin parking. By the water. In Toronto. Yeah, I know, messed up. But no, build more subdivisions 80 km from anything to solve the affordability problem....that'll do it!

upload_2018-6-7_11-27-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-7_11-27-29.png
    upload_2018-6-7_11-27-29.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 984
There is an easy fix to this problem everywhere in the city. Remove a lane of traffic for a dedicated bus lane.

No more idling buses, no more pollution, more calmed traffic.

But I bet you that those NIMBYs wouldn't like that idea.

Umm, Sherbourne is mostly one lane each way.

I have a solution: a manifold increase in service for the 82 Rosedale bus.

Teach them whinging hypocrites a sledge to the knee lesson.

With the noisiest Orion VII hybrids. Before retirement, the Orions are assigned to the 82 first. And how about lowering the bus to curb level at every stop! They'll love that.

Family with four cars complains about lack of parking spaces in neighbourhood. Councillor suggests they clean out their garage. Family says they are using the garbage to store an antique car. Family complains that councillor is useless...

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...residents-feel-bullied-demand-permit-parking/

Yet according this story, at this link:

28 per cent of Toronto households don’t have a car — including many suburban homes.

...so maybe they should ask their neighbours if they could use their "empty" driveway or "empty" garage, at a small fee of course.

Family with four cars complains about lack of parking spaces in neighbourhood. Councillor suggests they clean out their garage. Family says they are using the garbage to store an antique car. Family complains that councillor is useless...

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...residents-feel-bullied-demand-permit-parking/

Oh, Christ, I just read this. The sense of entitlement is just unbelievable. And it's obvious that it's her neighbours calling parking enforcement, because there is one constant truth about suburbia: for every resident who feels entitled to park their car overnight on the street, there is at least one corresponding neighbour who doesn't want people parking overnight on their street.

Like @W. K. Lis suggests, go rent a spot from a neighbour. Of course, that might mean 3-4 minutes of walking.

They're not even using their garage for parking! They can't store their antique car somewhere else?

FFS, these people.

Oh, Christ, I just read this. The sense of entitlement is just unbelievable. And it's obvious that it's her neighbours calling parking enforcement, because there is one constant truth about suburbia: for every resident who feels entitled to park their car overnight on the street, there is at least one corresponding neighbour who doesn't want people parking overnight on their street.

Like @W. K. Lis suggests, go rent a spot from a neighbour. Of course, that might mean 3-4 minutes of walking.

They're not even using their garage for parking! They can't store their antique car somewhere else?

FFS, these people.

There are self-storage places where one can park their antique vehicle, summer camping van, and/or winter snowmobile, either outdoors or even indoors.

There are self-storage places where one can park their antique vehicle, summer camping van, and/or winter snowmobile, either outdoors or even indoors.

But they want to keep it on their property! Along with four other cars! Which, as owners of a property which can accommodate two cars, should be their right! *stomps foot*

It's the war on parked cars!

Back