News   Apr 24, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 522     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 482     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

City of Toronto shuts down popular restaurant patio for having wooden fences.

See link.

safe_image.php

Maybe it were made of "straw" or "brick"? :D

(Note if searching for this thread, you have to look for "NIMBYism". Not "NIMBY", not "NIMBYISM". The searches are not that smart with Capital LETTers.)

I wouldn't really call this one NIMBYism though. I've never heard anyone in the 'hood say anything bad about this place. Plenty of support (YIMBY!) to keep the patio open.

Was this covered in this thread yet?

So people complain about housing not being unaffordable and completely out of reach, then when there's a nice proposal to help solve the problem they come up with garbage like: "the neighborhood is not suited for more children"?

Are they damn serious? I wish we could find a list of the people who made this complaint so we could throw them out of their houses and give people who really need housing a home. That way, the people thrown out could see that they're "not well suited for the city".

Or better yet, if we could hike their rents/mortgage payments by 25% that would be great. We could use their payments to provide affordable housing elsewhere in the city.

What the hell does "the neighbourhood is not suited for more children" mean? What kind of self-damnation of your own neighbourhood is that? ?

^they probably meant there's no more capacity in the public services to accommodate more kids (in their opinion at least)

HousingNow project in Scarborough (705 Warden) is causing an uproar. "How dare you turn an ugly TTC parking lot into a mixed income housing and retail!" *sigh*. A lot of that, but what gets me the most is this post - where privileged woman accuses a nearby homeless youth shelter of turning her 'hood into a slum (not true, I live here too). Also how she references lower income humans as "those people".... the privilege oozing from this comment makes me gag. I am having, more and more, a harder time dealing with the NIMBY attitudes in my neighbourhood.
nimby.jpg

Last edited:
HousingNow project in Scarborough (705 Warden) is causing an uproar. "How dare you turn an ugly TTC parking lot into a mixed income housing and retail!" *sigh*. A lot of that, but what gets me the most is this post - where privileged woman accuses a nearby homeless youth shelter of turning her 'hood in a slum (not true, I live here too). Also how she references lower income humans as "those people".... the privilege oozing from this comment makes me gag. I am having, more and more, a harder time dealing with the NIMBY attitudes in my neighbourhood.
View attachment 205575
Ottawa has a low income pass i thought Toronto would have one as well.

HousingNow project in Scarborough (705 Warden) is causing an uproar. "How dare you turn an ugly TTC parking lot into a mixed income housing and retail!" *sigh*. A lot of that, but what gets me the most is this post - where privileged woman accuses a nearby homeless youth shelter of turning her 'hood in a slum (not true, I live here too). Also how she references lower income humans as "those people".... the privilege oozing from this comment makes me gag. I am having, more and more, a harder time dealing with the NIMBY attitudes in my neighbourhood.

Well take comfort in the fact that you're not alone. Same bullshit is happening in Wilson heights.

HousingNow project in Scarborough (705 Warden) is causing an uproar. "How dare you turn an ugly TTC parking lot into a mixed income housing and retail!" *sigh*. A lot of that, but what gets me the most is this post - where privileged woman accuses a nearby homeless youth shelter of turning her 'hood into a slum (not true, I live here too). Also how she references lower income humans as "those people".... the privilege oozing from this comment makes me gag. I am having, more and more, a harder time dealing with the NIMBY attitudes in my neighbourhood.
View attachment 205575

I do not live at St Clair and Warden and can't speak for the attitudes of homeowners there. However I am a regular transit user who drives to Warden station. I don't understand the logic that takes away the ability for almost 1000 people to commute by transit downtown by parking their car, and gives that space to housing for only a fraction of that number.

I do not live at St Clair and Warden and can't speak for the attitudes of homeowners there. However I am a regular transit user who drives to Warden station. I don't understand the logic that takes away the ability for almost 1000 people to commute by transit downtown by parking their car, and gives that space to housing for only a fraction of that number.

You don't understand the logic in trying to address the housing crisis by building affordable housing in areas where the land use is currently at it's lowest applicable use?

I don't understand why we should take away one very valid use to create another. There is plenty of land in Scarborough to build on that doesn't displace an existing usage.

I don't understand why we should take away one very valid use to create another. There is plenty of land in Scarborough to build on that doesn't displace an existing usage.
Just to clarify why they are choosing locations near TTC stations: the point is to build housing near subway stations so people can easily access transit (since at a lower income they most likely can't afford a vehicle). Much of those parking spaces sit empty even on weekdays.

First of all, the Warden station north lot is nearly full on weekdays.

I understand why it might be more convenient to live walk-ably to the station, but so what? Making it easier for a small number of local residents makes it *harder* for a larger number of car commuters. It shouldn’t matter the relative income of those commuters.

First of all, the Warden station north lot is nearly full on weekdays.

I understand why it might be more convenient to live walk-ably to the station, but so what? Making it easier for a small number of local residents makes it *harder* for a larger number of car commuters. It shouldn’t matter the relative income of those commuters.

If there was a LRT by now, more people would be using it to get to the subway. Alternatively, it would be faster to use GO.

Back