Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Aug 7

Could get no sun the last 2 days for shooting. Just a few of what I shot today.

You can see the flare starting to take place.
IMG_aug-08-09-0092.jpg

IMG_aug-08-09-0130.jpg

IMG_aug-08-09-0088.jpg

IMG_aug-08-09-0084.jpg

IMG_aug-08-09-0117.jpg

IMG_aug-08-09-0079.jpg

Not sure I like the panels used on the south side of the lower floors. They wouldn't be bad on their own, but with the glass above they look out of place and don't blend in well.

^^^ according to the 400 ft list for currently u/c:

4. Ritz-Carlton Hotel & Residences [Simcoe Place] - 688 ft. 53 floors 213.6 m

6. MLSE South Tower [Maple Leaf Square] - 610 ft. 54 floors 186.0 m

will the difference really be that much?

Well, that's a 78ft difference right there, and then MLS is at a disadvantage because of how the grade slopes down so severely south of Front St. I bet Ritz ends up looking significantly taller.

i don't see how anyone can like them...they look very random.

Im warming up to them. Before they applied the glass, I thought it was just going to be metal sheets cladding that space. The glass on top softens it up a bit. I'll wait till it is completed before judging it though.

maybe they look better on person...i would definitely like them if they were arranged in a more coherent manner. they look like something out of a favela, kind of tacked on with no regard for horizontality/verticality (not words, but i trust everyone knows what i mean).

the building overall, though....wow! nice!

interesting how the vertical support columns slant out with the profile rather than the floors simply cantilever-ing out...

If memory serves me well, courses I took years ago in rigid body dynamics and statics would dictate that doing so results in a stronger structure since forces are directed down through the columns more effectively.

Back