Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

isn't chicago's transportation larger than toronto? (i could be very wrong on this one... so please correct me if so)

anyway, yes. the ritz is a great addition to toronto. many of the world cities have one! (trump will soon join toronto to the big North American city league like NYC, etc.)

*and regarding people hitting their heads, it's rare but it could definitely happen!. someone install a camera. i can just imagine some big shot on his blackberry looking down then BAM! outa nowhere...

isn't chicago's transportation larger than toronto? (i could be very wrong on this one... so please correct me if so)

You're not wrong. In terms of actual infrastructure, Chicago leaves Toronto in the dust.

I'm guessing that the category he's using is the Metro system with the highest ridership. According to Wikipedia, we are second in North America after New York (narrowly beating Montreal), which is extremely impressive considering how small our network is compared to cities such as Boston, Washington and Chicago.

I was referring to a combo of ridership and routes... TTC's bus service coverage is pretty amazing when compared to other systems.

I was referring to a combo of ridership and routes... TTC's bus service coverage is pretty amazing when compared to other systems.

If you take our subway system and compare it to just about anything else in North America - the usage per km of line will blow anything else out of the water.
Chicago has more then 2X the track we do (it's closer to 3 times I believe) yet still have less ridership.

It's a similiar story with our busses - but in this case I believe we simply have way more busses as well - I think at least 400 more then Chicago (and this number is growing).
There's also the fair box recovery of most routes ....

But if anything this should say how underserved we are in comparison.

What is that grey cladding that seems to be replacing all exterior finishes in this city? Is it plastic? I mean, you can clearly see the gap lines between panels. It looks like Lego or Play Mobile.

Why do developers love grey so much? I think it's just the safe, easy choice but does it have to be on so many new buildings? Grey spandrel and painted aluminum are the worst. I hate it!

This is really all that terrible?

RitzPodiumByNight.jpg

The aluminum panelling looks more silver to me than merely gray though, as it does have a shine to it.

What I really don't like is the huge concrete planters out front and the fact that there is no way to enter this building without walking across the driveway. It's not as pedestrian friendly as I'd like but over-all, it is a great building. My complaints are more like little quibbles.

I think lighting during the day and the grey colour is the biggest problem for the entrance. A more exuberant combination of granite paving and stronger lighting would make it feel more upscale. We tend to go for these modest gestures in Canada even in our design community, and it's not always for the better. Otherwise, the podium looks great, especially after dark.

The podium's presence is quite substantial on the street. Its heft is used to its advantage with the cantilevered base and massive overhanging roof. The cladding is good. Execution of this "chunky" structure is quite good except for the disappointingly bland finishes at the entrance. I appreciate its boldness, delivering such heft in a polished and sleek package. This podium will never be just another bland new Modernist structure to fade into the background.

This is really all that terrible?

The aluminum panelling looks more silver to me than merely gray though, as it does have a shine to it.

I agree with khristopher... while that picture makes the entrance look quite resplendently metallic, in reality it unfortunately looks more like the plastic casing of my old Beta Max player.

Anyone know when or if they are going to put up the logo because a building like this without it's logo is like driving a Benz without a logo.

Back