Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I agree, I think the entrance looks pretty good.

Thanks Traynor for the explanation and the pictures of Trump. That would make sense. I would think the cost however would be very high to do this and would there not be risks with hollowing out the concrete?

I am sure clearly the engineers know what they are doing when they calculate load bearing etc. much better than my limited comprehension.

I have to admit, that for such a 'grand' name brand hotel like the Ritz, that cantilevered entrance is not very impressive -- it doesn't present itself with a sense of occasion that one would expect of this brand. It looks more like a back or service entrance quite frankly.

Agreed. I think it would improve the sense of arrival if they clad those concrete planters with granite, or another material that elevates the quality of the streetscape.

Hmm . It looks quite impressive to me.

I have to admit, that for such a 'grand' name brand hotel like the Ritz, that cantilevered entrance is not very impressive -- it doesn't present itself with a sense of occasion that one would expect of this brand. It looks more like a back or service entrance quite frankly.

Hmm. It looks quite impressive to me. I think it fits in quite nicely with the rest of this city. It serves its purpose, and it's grey. And even if it isn't the fanciest of entrances, afterall, this isn't their flagship hotel and let's face it, Toronto isn't that important of a city.

These latest comments just go to show, you can't please everyone........glass half empty, Necessary Evil?

Looking in, it looks extremely impressive to me......and Fred, I disagree with you - we are important, and increasingly more so in the world.....

Enough with the 'we're not worthy' stuff.......TO rocks.....

These latest comments just go to show, you can't please everyone........glass half empty, Necessary Evil?

Looking in, it looks extremely impressive to me......and Fred, I disagree with you - we are important, and increasingly more so in the world.....

Enough with the 'we're not worthy' stuff.......TO rocks.....

I have no problem with the lobby...looks great...and opulent, befitting of the name "Ritz" and what one would associate with that brand. I just think the cantilvererd columns detract from what would have been a grander entrance (well, ,as grand as one can get these days with modern architecture)

What's with the ubiquity of these grey panels that have seem to have replaced any other exterior building materials? A good example is the new Rogers HQ and Toronto Life Square. I find it difficult to believe that the Ritz covered the cantilevers in this cheap cladding. It's so cheap looking but it's everywhere. It's embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 09 visit
5341435320_1ab2baafa3_b.jpg

I expect to see railings going up at the base of each angled support to prevent pedestrians from hitting their heads - although stategically placed planters would accomplish the same result.

Hmm. It looks quite impressive to me. I think it fits in quite nicely with the rest of this city. It serves its purpose, and it's grey. And even if it isn't the fanciest of entrances, afterall, this isn't their flagship hotel and let's face it, Toronto isn't that important of a city.

Not that important of a city, in what way?
While it may not have the glamour of a New York or Paris we really should appreciate what a truly great city this is.
No doubt there is lots of room for improvement, but to dismiss it as simply not that important is incorrect on so many levels.

Here's some interesting things about Toronto...

Business & Economy:
TSX in Top 10 of world exchanges
TSX world leader for commodities excluding Gold
Financial centre #3 in North America
Home to TWO of the top hotel chains in the world Four Seasons & Fairmont

Arts & Entertainment:
TIFF is #2 in World (Cannes)
Live Theatre market #3 (London, NYC)
Toronto Zoo consistently ranked in Top 10 of world zoos
Caribana largest street festival in North America
CNE oldest annual fair in the world
Fourth largest media centre in North America (NYC, LA, Chicago)
#2 Gay festival (San Francisco)
Film industry is #3 in TV and film production in North America
Film industry is #2nd as exporter of TV programming in North America

Education:
North America's fourth-largest university library system
U of T world leader in Medical Research

Transportation:
TTC is 2nd Largest in North America (NYC)

Other:
16 million tourists per year
THE most multicultural city in the world
Ranked as the safest large metro area in North America by Places Rated Almanac
St. Lawrence Market ranked by Food and Wine magazine to be one of the world's 25 best food markets

Cheers! :)

Well said, Toronto is a important city, problem is its often underrated and needs to be promoted more. 16 million tourists is quite allot the more the better, friends visiting from Europe every four years or so, are always amazed at the progress in the city with so many towers/condos going up. As for the main entrance of the Ritz-Carlton as it is now is not too compelling at all, maybe after all the final touches it should be better. It is unique but still has that look of more a service entrance as stated earlier.

At least the lobby is turning out to be one of the most imprssive hotel lobbies in the city.

guess what caltrane is also unimpressed with the cantileveer entrance columns.

This is our chance to shine, and the Entrance is a bit of a downer.

However the interior is amazing.

guess what caltrane is also unimpressed with the cantileveer entrance columns.

This is our chance to shine, and the Entrance is a bit of a downer.

However the interior is amazing.

Agreed. :)

However, Fred's post seemed to imply that the reason for the lack of impressive entrance is because Ritz did a second rate design for a property that has little importance to them in a second rate city.

Back