Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

MetroMan

^ Actually, you've just inadvertently answered a question I had: Why does the slant not seem to end on the tip of the building? Instead there seems to be a good couple of feet of flat space at the edge. I suppose there will be an "ice catcher" on the end of the slant and melting mechanism along the roof to minimize accumulation.

Actually, as you can see with my zoom in below, the roof will go right to the edge on either side of the penthouse's terrace. They just haven't completed the steel on the East side of the slant yet.

I'm also assuming the penthouse's living room on the South West side and and sitting area off the master suite on the South East side, will have slanted glass, like the rest of the South facade.

:)

Attachments

• Ritz Roof Slant Close Up 004.jpg
    Ritz Roof Slant Close Up 004.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 273
Even rain accumulating on the roof and falling over the south edge will create a sort of waterfall in heavy showers.

The solution to falling ice/rain from the roof is actually 40 stories down: the sky lobby. It protrudes beyond the reach of the roof so falling ice -- assuming it falls straight down -- will land on the sky lobby's roof. I'm sure they'll also have ice melting mechanisms to prevent any big accumulations.

^I'm sure they have some form of ice melting techniques in the design. I'm more fascinated with how the heck they are going to clean the windows on the whole building, especially the South facade.

Any sort of cabling system would dangle several feet away from the glass on the lower floors. Not to mention disturbing the owners of the penthouse and their terrace every time they want to string the cables. None of the windows open, so you can't clean your own unit's glass.

I lived downtown for many years. Let me tell you how dirty your glass gets in a couple of months! Bird poop finds a way to stick even on vertical glass! LOL

^ I'm more fascinated with how the heck they are going to clean the windows on the whole building, especially the South facade.

Any sort of cabling system would dangle several feet away from the glass on the lower floors. Not to mention disturbing the owners of the penthouse and their terrace every time they want to string the cables. None of the windows open, so you can't clean your own unit's glass.

I lived downtown for many years. Let me tell you how dirty your glass gets in a couple of months! Bird poop finds a way to stick even on vertical glass! LOL

I asked the same question few months ago, there were comments, but no answer.

I asked the same question few months ago, there were comments, but no answer.

I remember there was lots of speculation and crazy ideas. It was fun. Then along came one forumer (As inevitably happens when a DB doesn't find the topic interesting.) and shut down the whole line of conversation by saying it's a residential development and the windows would not be cleaned as often as a commercial property would be. I understood the logic behind the statement, but it just side stepped the original question.

OK then... even if infrequently... "How will they wash the windows on this building?"

:confused:

It's also a hotel, not just residential. They won't want their hotel guests who are paying hundreds of dollars a night, to be looking out dirty windows.

I envision a system whereby panels on the roof slide open to reveal two or four small cranes to hoist window washing platforms; one on the southwest corner and one of the southeast corner. Each crane could slide along a railing in a north-south direction thereby allowing access to all four sides of the tower. A window washing platform on the south side could be hoisted by those cranes. Where the residential portion of the tower is slimmest, the cranes would be positioned about halfway between the north and south sides of the roof, and as the tower flares out and the platform moves up the tower, the cranes would slide south along the roof, thereby hanging the platform further south.

Last edited:
^Turtle wax at my car wash will do the same trick, but I can't drive the Ritz at 100km down the highway.

^I'm sure they have some form of ice melting techniques in the design. I'm more fascinated with how the heck they are going to clean the windows on the whole building, especially the South facade.

I don't see why you can't tie off the top and the bottom and tighten the line so it doesn't dangle.

Back