Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I've read up on this product before and it is fascinating for certain applications but coating glass with more glass seems superfluous. Cleaning still requires water and some form of motion to loosen the dirt. Rain and wind would only cause really bad streaking in my opinion. You would still need a guy with a chamois to give it a wipe.

Now, Arthur C. Clarke proposed, in one of his works of fiction 20 years ago, a very similar idea but it also applied an ultrasonic vibration thereby eliminating the dirt particles being able to become adhered in the first place. In his story it revolutionized the skyscraper cleaning industry. He also mentions it replaces the windshield wiper on all cars by the first decade of the 21st Century. The book is called The Ghost Off the Grand Banks if anyone is interested in reading about it.

The question was answered. It's back in the thread, you just have to search for it

Have you tried using the Search feature? Not helpful. Neither was your response. If you have the real answer and not just another good guess, then just state it. I imagine this must be one of the lines of discussions that doesn't interest you and you seem frustrated that it has returned. Perhaps just giving us the answer would make it go away again even faster. I refuse to commit to memory every post that has been written in the last few years.

Thanks

Actually, I do use the search function regularly, and tho not perfect it does work and will give an answer to the question. The question does interest me, given that I'm a tradesman and work primarily with building envelopes. My frustration is more that the same question keeps getting asked even tho it's been more than adequately answered. I refuse to submit to your demand that I serve as your archivist. Sorry that this post is also not 'helpful' to you.

You're Welcome

March 19th Update

It's a little muggy out today so these aren't as clear as I'd like. Taken from my POV, the north side of the Ritz.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

View from Dragon City shopping centre in Chinatown, March 18.

4446141711_71a03bdaac_b.jpg

Really awesome roof slant progress! It would have been awesome if they left the top roof-slant floor open as a restaurant or observation deck with a super-tall slanted ceiling! ... Will the roof be somehow heated to prevent ice build up?

***and if you compare dt_toronto_geeks' shot of the Ritz on March 19 and wylieppon's on march 18th... you can see how much roof slant progress was made in 1 day!!!!! sweeeet! :D

Last edited:
Really awesome roof slant progress! It would have been awesome if they left the top roof-slant floor open as a restaurant or observation deck with a super-tall slanted ceiling! ... Will the roof be somehow heated to prevent ice build up?

***and if you compare dt_toronto_geeks' shot of Trump on March 19 and wylieppon's on march 18th... you can see how much roof slant progress was made in 1 day!!!!! sweeeet! :D

The Emirates Towers in Dubai have done this (Or the one I was in at least). It made for a very cool atmosphere. It would have definitely made for a great view and great atmosphere if they had done this here as well.

We should see the final set of slopping beams in the coming days now that the cross bracing is in place as well the rest of the support beams.

Two of Hong Kong's tallest buildings, Central Plaza and the Bank of China, have observation decks in their triangular tops. Neither are open to the public - the one in BoC is exclusively used by the bank (a small public one is located in the skylobby halfway up the building), and the one in Central Plaza can only be accessed on Sundays when it serves as a church.

Central_Plaza3%5B1%5D.jpg

Central Plaza

Hong_Kong_City_Church.jpg

Central towers top floor looks awesome! I wish the Ritz had something similar....

INSANE Ritz update drum!!!!!!!! The slant-slope is totally dope.!!! (lol... it rhymes too!):D

I remember there was a moment in time where the first beams were installed on the north side and we were all just waiting for the rest of the slant to come... then all of the sudden it just shot up!

noticed tonight while driving by on Wellington, they are installing cladding on the angled struts by the lobby, also the roof of the overhang....looking pretty good...

Back