Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

pic posted vy Caliostro at SSC....

4333374910_86dcfa48c0_b.jpg

The Ritz today

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Wow! The podium looks great. Haven't seen that side of R-C in a while.

From the south, that InterContinental is pretty fug. Can they reclad it or something?

Actually, I like the way the colour/texture of InterContinental contrasts with the glass towers behind it. On it's own, yes, hideous, but it works in context.

I'm also starting to wonder if Ritz is going to have a sloped roof or just a fin rising off of the north elevation. That steel is awfully heavily reinforced for something that's just supposed to be one wall of a box

I was driving east on the Gardiner this afternoon and this tower from that vantage point looks so bloody cool as it flares outwards. Amazing-looking thing, this.

I'm also starting to wonder if Ritz is going to have a sloped roof or just a fin rising off of the north elevation. That steel is awfully heavily reinforced for something that's just supposed to be one wall of a box

Yes, but consider this structure will have to support the weight of 5 floors of curtain wall. It will have to withstand the force of high winds trying to flex, bend and pry that glass off the outside of the building.

5 floors of curtainwall isn't going to weigh that much, especially not if it's all spandrels. And reinforcing the steel isn't going to help the curtainwall when the curtainwall's just attached with the same 5/8 bolt that its attached with everywhere else. Go and compare the steel they're putting up on the Ritz to the steel they put up on MLS and see if you notice the difference (and for that matter, compare it to the steel that went up on Telus, and see if you notice the similarity)

Both. It will have a sloped roof, but there will also be a slight fin on the north side where the zipper recesses:

ritz_toronto.jpg

ritzap2.jpg

Last edited:
5 floors of curtainwall isn't going to weigh that much, especially not if it's all spandrels.]And reinforcing the steel isn't going to help the curtainwall when the curtainwall's just attached with the same 5/8 bolt that its attached with everywhere else. Go and compare the steel they're putting up on the Ritz to the steel they put up on MLS and see if you notice the difference (and for that matter, compare it to the steel that went up on Telus, and see if you notice the similarity)

Thanks for supporting my argument by disagreeing with my argument. I think... I read this and said HUH? Are you saying it is reinforced steel on Ritz or not?

Anyway... If 5 floors of glass were attached to flimsy strips of metal it would have flexed way more than the concrete the glass is attached to below and that would have made your bolts fail sooner than later. That is why the steel is so reinforced. Not to mention: They also have to build a box shape to create the fin structure Ramako showed in his post.

Both. It will have a sloped roof, but there will also be a slight fin on the north side where the zipper recesses:

edited out the renderings

I've seen those renderings before, too. What I've never seen is a south elevation rendering actually showing the top side of that sloped roof. The way the steel is going up makes it look like it's going to be a three sided box, open at the top. Either that or the sloped roof is going to stop at the zipper, and then there'll be a gap about of about 20-25 feet between the top of the slope and the top of the fin.

I've seen those renderings before, too. What I've never seen is a south elevation rendering actually showing the top side of that sloped roof. The way the steel is going up makes it look like it's going to be a three sided box, open at the top. Either that or the sloped roof is going to stop at the zipper, and then there'll be a gap about of about 20-25 feet between the top of the slope and the top of the fin.

I've always assumed the latter. I don't understand what you're trying to describe with the former. Where in the renders do you see a box?

By box I guess I mean "a cube, diagonally bisected." I was thinking structurally, not aesthetically

Back