Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

What a fine image, and what an eloquent dialogue across time between two important local buildings designed by architects who understand the power of grey. The by-laws were actually changed to allow Parkin's 1961 Sun Life not to follow the streetline, and have metal curtain walling. With such a high proportion of glass it almost fades to nothingness under certain lighting conditions - but the punchy verticals pull it back again.

I like having books read to me as well. Let's hear some more script-as-thought from Mean City oh erudite one.

Though Sun Life originally played a subtler game with the streetline: the tower wasn't just set back, but oriented t/w University northward, while the adjoining (now gone) single-storey bank pavilion was oriented diagonally southward. If it were only the tower (as, unfortunately, it is now), it would've been much more pat...

Nov 11 Visit

The 50th floor is pour and working on the 51st. Elevator stops at the 45th.
IMG_nov-11-09-0198.jpg

IMG_nov-11-09-0199.jpg

IMG_nov-11-09-0200.jpg

That's the problem with clear windows. They don't conceal blinds and curtains.

I know a lot of new condos include roller-shade window coverings as part of the package. Partly to encourage a sameness from the outside... But I wonder how much of a "Window Police" a high-end condo like Ritz will have?

These people have paid top-dollar to live here and will, no doubt, want to hire expensive interior decorators to reflect their personal taste. However, what if a tenant has bright, giant, polka-dot taste? When they draw their curtains, will they get a knock at the door?

However, what if a tenant has bright, giant, polka-dot taste? When they draw their curtains, will they get a knock at the door?

Yes they will. Rules are rules and this building will have plenty to ensure the property values are upheld.

The building could have all of the same blinds, while still allowing the owner to have polka dot curtains if they wanted to. They would just be behind the blinds.

The building could have all of the same blinds, while still allowing the owner to have polka dot curtains if they wanted to. They would just be behind the blinds.

Yes, I believe that's a "given", but roller blinds are a pain in the ass... It is so much easier to grab a drape, and pull across, than fiddle with several plastic, drain-chain style pulls. People are inherently lazy... Which do you think it will devolve into?

This is the Ritz-Carlton: no-one will have to pull 'drain-chains' to close venetians, they'll all be motorized and controlled by an iPhone app.

isn't anyone else worried that a lot of shades will be drawn, ruining the blue windows?

No. It's a building. People live in it. Do you expect everyone to wake up and go to bed at exactly the same time?

This line of reason is almost as asinine as the 'people shouldn't put stuff on balconies' hogwash.

^sorry PE but I must disagree... there is no reason that tennants cannot wash (and presumably dry) their hogs in the parking areas before bringing them back to the suite. Balconies are for views, toasts and hardy potted plants... not pig hygiene.

(Place massive groan or rim-shot here _____).

Last edited:
That is something that really effects buildings.. When peoples (mostly white) blinds/shades taint the overall look of the building... Hopefully thats not the case :D

Back