Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

I'm a little bit sad about this project. I suppose that it could be done fairly decently. If it's set back enough, it won't look like quite such a blatant facadectomy. It will be sad to lose that attractive little building which matches quite well with the University Club.

I am sure many of you have seen the rendering from Oxford re below. This was one of the office projects I spoke of in my initial post re 426 University Ave.

"(2) Richmond Adelaide Centre - As you probably know the building is being re configured with the tower being moved further north to Richmond with the bulk of the new building going were that ugly indoor parking garage is."

This development will invigorate Richmond St on the south side from University Ave east to Yonge Street. Remember the hotel component of B A Centre is going to sit between Richmond and Temperence east of Bay Street. The Sapphire replacement will fill in between the two and really improve that drab section of Richmond Street.

I don't have a time frame for Blackstone's development at the South West corner Bay & Richmond as yet but will pass information on as I get it.

Re Manulife I have no news to report.

As a side note the bid's for Stinson's parking lot at Sheppard and Temperence are in and the receiver will announce the winner (at probably 22-24 million) this week or next. The official development envelope for the site is 450,000sq ft. and that is what is being bid on. However those in the know are aware Stinson got an additional 120,000ft approved and that just has to be applied for, increasing the development to 570,000 sq. ft., which I am sure the winning bidder will do.

Historic military building to be razed, then rebuilt as part of new condominium

JAMES RUSK

December 4, 2007

The Royal Canadian Military Institute, one of the most venerable institutions on Toronto's University Avenue, is "beyond repair" and will be torn down and rebuilt as part of a new high-rise condominium.

Under the terms of a deal with Pickering-based developer Tribute Communities, the RCMI will be housed in the new 42- to 44-storey condominium tower on the club's site on the west side of University Avenue, south of Dundas Street.

Peter Hunter, chairman of the RCMI's long-range planning committee, said yesterday the institute, which has 1,500 members with an interest in military affairs, badly needed a new home.

Ironically, the parts of the building that are 50 years old are in worse shape than the original portion that is more than 100 years old, he said.

The institute's three-storey facade will be maintained on the new building, and the organization, which has a 300,000-volume library on military affairs, will use the first seven floors as its new premises, which it will own as a freehold property, Mr. Hunter said.

It will take another year or two before the city approves final plans for the 6,000-square-foot site, which backs on to Simcoe Street. Once construction starts, the institute will be without a permanent home for two years during construction, Mr. Hunter said. During construction, an arrangement has been made for the RCMI membership to use the nearby University Club for social and professional events, including its public lecture series, Mr. Hunter said.

The condominium, which would become the only residential building on University Avenue between Adelaide and Bloor Streets, will occupy one of the more easily developed sites on the three main north-south streets in the city core. While there are few potential sites along University, which is heavily occupied by institutional buildings such as embassies and hospitals, both Bay Street and, in particular, Yonge Street between Dundas and Bloor Streets, still have many sites with low-rise buildings that could be replaced by office or condominium towers.

One industry source said the redevelopment of Yonge Street has been slow because many of the buildings have small frontages and long-time owners who are reluctant to sell.

In these circumstances, "assembling a building site is very costly," the source said.

But renegade developer Harry Stinson said that, while it may be harder to assemble a site from small lots, there is going to be a generational change in ownership of many Yonge Street properties, and with patience, a builder can put together a usable site.

An annoying detail: "...along University, which is heavily occupied by institutional buildings such as embassies and hospitals..."

I don't think there is a single embassy in Toronto, let alone University Ave.

...and even among consulates, I only know of one that actually has street frontage on University (specifically, Uncle Sam's bunker), although I'm sure many of the office buildings have consulates renting space. We do have some quite extraordinary consulates scattered around elsewhere, notably the Italian and Chinese.

Would be kind of fun, though, if through some perverse attempt at not offending, er, somebody (Quebec?), the international community pulled the weirdness it has in Israel with having embassies in Tel Aviv, and moved all of Ottawa's to T-O.

Interestingly, depending on the country some consulates in Toronto are actually larger operations than their respective embassies in Ottawa.

There's also residential buildings along Queen's Park - Vic and St. Mike's.

That article has a "death to all old short buildings" tone, where redevelopment is always better.

LET'S BE SOCIALLY PROEGESSIVE:

This military institute is 'militaristic!" It's American and has no business being in our Canadian city! Get rid of this imperialism! We do not need some canon that was fried in some colonial war on our University Ave.,It's offensive to women. It's offensive to immigrant groups. It's a symbol of the horrors of the British Empire. Demolish the building, Get rid of the institute. Get rid of this militaristic club!

Why not pull down Fort York while we're at it!

I'm willing to bet that my bullshit argument will be raised at city hall or in Now magazine.

V of E is well connected. (well done!)

---

So let the naysayers be damned with regards to the Manulife Tower..or whatever eventually gets built on the front street site.

The Tribute Communities website, which shows their previous work, suggests that the Institute's neo-Classical facade might be used as a justification for 44 storeys of spectacular cheddintonista excess.

The Tribute Communities website, which shows their previous work, suggests that the Institute's neo-Classical facade might be used as a justification for 44 storeys of spectacular cheddintonista excess.

Heaven forbid, there goes the 'hood! Can you imagine the prospect of cheddingtonista excess with the new Ghery AGO around the corner? Let's exorcise the demons before they get a chance (voluntary planning review anyone?).

Back