News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 551     0 

Toronto Rental Cost (& AirBnB) Issues

Developers and Landlords will need to find creative solutions, doubtless involving the state in some way; or one will be made for them.

Over in the OL thread, we were discussing relative costs in Berlin, briefly.

Rents there are below ours, but like ours have been rising well ahead of CPI inflation in recent years, and in that city 85% are renters.......its a very real problem.

Berlin is set to impose an absolute rent freeze; for the next 5 years!!!!! Pressure is mounting to seriously consider nationalizing every single apartment building..............

A lesson for those doing well in society, it is in your interest to ensure the majority are on the same ride.................

Developers and Landlords will need to find creative solutions, doubtless involving the state in some way; or one will be made for them.

Over in the OL thread, we were discussing relative costs in Berlin, briefly.

Rents there are below ours, but like ours have been rising well ahead of CPI inflation in recent years, and in that city 85% are renters.......its a very real problem.

Berlin is set to impose an absolute rent freeze; for the next 5 years!!!!! Pressure is mounting to seriously consider nationalizing every single apartment building..............

A lesson for those doing well in society, it is in your interest to ensure the majority are on the same ride.................

I think that would make sense in a city that has 85% renters. But renters make up like 30% in Toronto. A rent freeze across the board would be silly IMO.

I think that would make sense in a city that has 85% renters. But renters make up like 30% in Toronto. A rent freeze across the board would be silly IMO.

According to this City of Toronto document, 51% of Torontonians rent.

Second, I wasn't advocating for that particular action.

I was pointing out that with homelessness here growing by 2,000+ per year; the situation will reach a breaking point, and a solution will be imposed.

Better for developers/landlords/governments to get to the table w/remedies now, and have some influence and allow a thoughtful series of changes; rather than wait for desperation to drive more radical and perhaps less considered change.

Converting entire-home Airbnbs into long-term housing would nudge the city’s vacancy rate towards a “healthy” three per cent, says a new report from Fairbnb.

The coalition of hotel workers, residents and housing advocates released the findings Thursday at city hall.

The report estimates more than 7,300 entire-home listings on the short-term rental platform that do not appear to comply with Toronto’s new bylaws could become available, nearly 2,500 in Toronto’s waterfront area alone.

If even half of those homes were returned to the long-term rental market the city’s minuscule vacancy rate would increase to two per cent, and it could approach a “healthy” rate of three per cent if all entire-home listings became long-term rentals, the report said. That would be up from 1.3 per cent, the combined vacancy rate for condos and purpose-built rentals in Toronto in 2019, according to the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corp.

Another parallel development- the rise of suburban rooming houses:
And from the Sun (which complains about it):
Mayor John Tory, appearing on a paid real estate infomercial on his old radio station Sunday, said that baby boomers have to “open their minds” to the idea of creating and renting out duplexes or secondary suites in their homes to make life in Toronto more affordable.

Honestly I don't see this as inherently bad but a necessary secondary evolution of the first-wave of the single-inhabitant built form, which is ill-suited to face an aging demographic (like a senior becoming too small for their clothes).

Legalize and regulate multiple units and rooming houses to ensure that they're safe, and watch as the existing built form is filled out and reinhabited once more. Then allow certain well-serviced/accessible suburban areas to be under right-to-build rules, and watch as the suburbs are instantly densified by their owners. Power is instantly returned to the small owner-developer, who can respond to market demand far better than the large multi-year developments.

Last edited:
Interesting move in New York State; an order to halt all evictions.

Other U.S. jurisdictions seem to be making similar moves.

I only hope that this virus takes the money-for-nothing, Airbnb specuinvestors down. Get a real job, parasites. Your illegal 'hotels' are no longer profitable. Put the housing back on the market for people who need a place to live. Losers. I hope that all these amateurs (and hedge funds/ REITS are financially wiped out.

Last edited:
I only hope that this virus takes the money-for-nothing, Airbnb specuinvestors down. Get a real job, parasites. Your illegal 'hotels' are no longer profitable. Put the housing back on the market for people who need a place to live. Losers.

I know a few STR hosts who are s****ing the bed knowing that their business and sole source of income may go tits up in the next few weeks while owners look at other options for their units.

Best thing that will happen to Ice? ?

AoD

Haa yep.

The concern is that without STR bookings the owners cannot pay their mortgage. In some cases they have multiple units at 1000 dollars minimum a month for the mortgage I can foresee some quick sales or bankruptcies in the future.

Back