News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 539     0 

Toronto Rental Cost (& AirBnB) Issues

Tell them they are (or were) leaches upon the city and its residents. What did they think was going to happen when the city is seeing a massive housing shortage, record numbers of condo units being built but no increase in vacancy rates?

Do the unit owners have any means of appeal? I wonder how the city will enforce this? I suppose they could run a comparison of people's legal residence against tax payer names, but what about properties owned by corporations? Does the city have the means to monitor AirBnB, VRBO, etc?

The websites in question will comply with the bylaw and condo corps have an obligation to abide by the law and report STR properties that are not primary residences.

There are several details of current legislation I never figured out regarding tenant use of their space as short-term rental. This impacts me as I have several units where I am aware tenants Airbnb their units. I have no problem otherwise with these tenants so it's low priority on my list of things to do; however the legality of Airbnb in rentals by tenants has some gray areas. Liability wise this is a bit of an issue because insurance companies may deny coverage to issues involving short-term rental tenants and landlords can't use lack of awareness that their tenants are using their units as short-term rentals as a defense.

-First aren't tenants obliged to inform their landlords of any sublet situation?
-Second aren't payments by subletters including short-stay subletters required to be paid directly to the Landlord? My understanding is that tenants are actually not allowed to collect funds on behalf of the landlord
-Third as it is not legal for tenants to profit from their units doesn't this impact sublet room rates and number of days the unit is allowed to be sublet?

-First aren't tenants obliged to inform their landlords of any sublet situation?

Yes

-Second aren't payments by subletters including short-stay subletters required to be paid directly to the Landlord?

No, the tenant is required to continue making payments, thus the sublet pays the tenant who then pays the landlord.

-Third as it is not legal for tenants to profit from their units doesn't this impact sublet room rates and number of days the unit is allowed to be sublet?

It should

A huge factor discouraging young families from settling into condos is that every weekend AirBnB turns condos into a student dorm/club district. or even worse.

A huge factor discouraging young families from settling into condos is that every weekend AirBnB turns condos into a student dorm/club district. or even worse.

I know so many newlyweds that sell their condo in favor of a house because Condos are no longer suitable.

People want to raise a family and do not feel safe doing it in a condo. It's not only Airbnb's but the fact nobody can raise a child in a condo the size of most living rooms.

All AirBnb, or whatever short-term rentals, must have cloud based security cameras on the premises (entrance and balcony at minimum) to record anything that the police will get access to with a warrant. If the cameras are damaged, vandalized, or removed in any way, the unit will no longer be rented out for a year.

It's not just AirBNB, it's a lot of condos in general. As the rent gets higher, you're going to see more units with multiple people living in them. Unit on my floor is a 2 bedroom, 4 students. I've seen units with bedrooms in the living room.

It's not just AirBNB, it's a lot of condos in general. As the rent gets higher, you're going to see more units with multiple people living in them. Unit on my floor is a 2 bedroom, 4 students. I've seen units with bedrooms in the living room.

The modernized trailer park.

We were doing shit like this 15 years ago...and not in no short-term rentals, but legit rentals with long-term leases.

I lived 4 people to a 1-bed for three months once. And 3 of us to that same 1-bed for the better part of a year. A friend of mine had a subdivided living room with a partition wall put in. That was in Oakville. That place was like 4 to a 2-bed. I had friends living 3 to a bachelor in a downtown condo that one of them bought outright for cash. I myself lived 2 people to a bachelor for a few months.
And currently, I just found out (and this is actually messed up, unlike the above), my pensioner neighbour lives in his 1-bed with a family that consists of 3 kids and a middle-aged couple, I kid you not. Welcome to paradise.

It's a hard knock life/the rents are too damn high. ;)

We were doing shit like this 15 years ago...and not in no short-term rentals, but legit rentals with long-term leases.

I lived 4 people to a 1-bed for three months once. And 3 of us to that same 1-bed for the better part of a year. A friend of mine had a subdivided living room with a partition wall put in. That was in Oakville. That place was like 4 to a 2-bed. I had friends living 3 to a bachelor in a downtown condo that one of them bought outright for cash. I myself lived 2 people to a bachelor for a few months.
And currently, I just found out (and this is actually messed up, unlike the above), my pensioner neighbour lives in his 1-bed with a family that consists of 3 kids and a middle-aged couple, I kid you not. Welcome to paradise.

rent.jpg

I know it's not a new phenomenon I just think it will get worse.

Back