News   Apr 26, 2024
 192     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 257     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 451     0 

Toronto Rental Cost (& AirBnB) Issues

Haa yep.

The concern is that without STR bookings the owners cannot pay their mortgage. In some cases they have multiple units at 1000 dollars minimum a month for the mortgage I can foresee some quick sales or bankruptcies in the future.

Another excellent development, in the context of an overheated market?

AoD

I have another company here going out of business because they will not have enough income to support themselves. They are not having enough bookings to make this work.

The concern is that without STR bookings the owners cannot pay their mortgage. In some cases they have multiple units at 1000 dollars minimum a month for the mortgage I can foresee some quick sales or bankruptcies in the future.
That has a dual benefit. Puts more houses onto the market for buyers and may also push surviving STR owners to move to LTR. There's no downside for the average Torontonian here.

There's a lesson in the above not merely for STR owners............

Applies to business and personal alike...........try not to over leverage.

To be clear, some businesses or people could be carrying low debt and decent savings and the current circumstance could still run them aground.

But at least some portion of people and business in difficulty chose to leverage highly (go into debt) and chose not leave themselves a rainy day fund in the event of rain.

I have every sympathy for people in the above scenario where they had little to no choice (low income, out of work, surviving on a credit card etc.).

But people who have enough money, and education to be able to make responsible choices and then choose to be irresponsible...........

Interesting note from Reddit (no surprise about Ice)- wonder if a longer-term economic shutdown may result in the liquidation of some portfolios.

RPZI0wq.png

Interesting note from Reddit (no surprise about Ice)- wonder if a longer-term economic shutdown may result in the liquidation of some portfolios.

RPZI0wq.png

I work at one of these condos. Last week we had 5 requests for status certificates, all from STR units looking to sell.

One of our STR Committee members who has been a staunch supporter of rentals is even looking to sell. The STR rental market is drying up and by the time we come out on the other side of this crisis it will be too late to save it.

I work at one of these condos. Last week we had 5 requests for status certificates, all from STR units looking to sell.

One of our STR Committee members who has been a staunch supporter of rentals is even looking to sell. The STR rental market is drying up and by the time we come out on the other side of this crisis it will be too late to save it.
Good. Very good. These property owners have strangled the inventory of permanent rental housing in this city. Force them to sell or convert to LTR. Why aren’t more STR property owners switching to LTRs instead of selling?

Good. Very good. These property owners have strangled the inventory of permanent rental housing in this city. Force them to sell or convert to LTR. Why aren’t more STR property owners switching to LTRs instead of selling?

Alot of them do not want to be landlords. They wanted to make money that's it.

There is a big difference between running a STR and having a long term tenant.

Alot of them do not want to be landlords. They wanted to make money that's it.

There is a big difference between running a STR and having a long term tenant.
Yes, the latter will still be there regardless of the ups and downs of the tourism business.

But besides, I thought Toronto’s new rules didn’t allow STR for non-primary residences? Even if this hasn’t been enforced yet, didn’t these STR property owners expect the rules to soon change? Sounds like none of them were prepared.

Yes, the latter will still be there regardless of the ups and downs of the tourism business.

But besides, I thought Toronto’s new rules didn’t allow STR for non-primary residences? Even if this hasn’t been enforced yet, didn’t these STR property owners expect the rules to soon change? Sounds like none of them were prepared.

They were hoping for the judicial review to go in their favor. Above and beyond that they were pretending the rules didn't apply to them for various reasons.

I just got word from a friend in the STR business that Ice Condos have temporarily banned ALL STR bookings until the current states of emergency are over with.

I saw the email from their management office so this is not a rumour. The thinking is that the STR guests present a risk of injury to the building relating to their potential infectious nature. In layman's terms the building is worried that STR Guests will spread the virus so they are banning them until this all blows over.

Does anyone here have a clear copy of the email sent out by TSCC 2510 management? I work at 65/55 Bremner Boulevard and was looking to forward it off to my management office as they wanted to do something similar but could not figure out how.

Back