Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

It makes me so happy to see that giant parking lot gone. That part of Queens Quay is going to feel infinitely better once this is up.

Now if only they would do something about the other side. And yes, there is a lot that can be done to improve the ugly retail and cover up that parking garage. The city needs to get on Harbour Squares case and force, or rather, encourage them to make a few improvements. That building hasn't been renovated since it went up. The area has changed dramatically and now it's time for Harbour Square to do their part. It should even be profitable for them, once they expand the retail right to the street.

Last edited:
Torontovibe, you must hate the HS buildings more than anything if you repeat the same question again and again.

2012-Jun-06 19:44
Posted by Torontovibe
The retail spaces in Harbour Square are probably some of the ugliest in the city. It would be so easy to extend them towards the street and improve them, yet year after year, they stay as ugly as ever. The parking garage could also use a renovation to cover those windows and beautify it. It's one of Toronto's biggest blunders, yet there is nothing done to try to correct it. I'm sure if the city and condo owners got together, a good solution could be found. Why spend multi millions to beautify Queen's Quay and leave this eye sore as is? It just makes no sense.
2012-Jun-06 20:59
Posted by Zeiss
Yes, we realize that our retail area is very ugly and it would look even uglier when the street gets renovated.
There are plans for renovating the storefronts and extending them to the property lines, the change has been approved by the condo owners last year, however.... the lease holders are against it. Their concern is that the rent would be increased as a result of increased square footage.

Torontovibe, you must hate the HS buildings more than anything if you repeat the same question again and again.

2012-Jun-06 19:44
Posted by Torontovibe
The retail spaces in Harbour Square are probably some of the ugliest in the city. It would be so easy to extend them towards the street and improve them, yet year after year, they stay as ugly as ever. The parking garage could also use a renovation to cover those windows and beautify it. It's one of Toronto's biggest blunders, yet there is nothing done to try to correct it. I'm sure if the city and condo owners got together, a good solution could be found. Why spend multi millions to beautify Queen's Quay and leave this eye sore as is? It just makes no sense.
2012-Jun-06 20:59
Posted by Zeiss
Yes, we realize that our retail area is very ugly and it would look even uglier when the street gets renovated.
There are plans for renovating the storefronts and extending them to the property lines, the change has been approved by the condo owners last year, however.... the lease holders are against it. Their concern is that the rent would be increased as a result of increased square footage.

Yes, I do hate it because I live close by, so I'm walking by it at least 3 or 4 times a week. Every time I walk by, I can't help but think how easy it would be to make, not only the buildings, but the whole area much better, with just a few, not too expensive changes.

These condos were built over 30 years ago, when the area was deserted and horribly ugly. Back then nobody could predict that this area would change so much and become a busy intersection. You would think that in all that time, the buildings owners would take advantage of the streets busy pedestrian traffic and redevelop the retail. It still looks and feels like 1070. Why not expand the retail right out to the street and increase the retail footage, while giving the stores a much needed update? If they covered the parking garage and did some decent landscaping, it could potentially transform that area into a decent place to walk and shop. With the huge new office going up, that will also increase the customer base, so there is a very good argument for some redevelopment of the retail.

Yet every time I walk by, there is not even the slightest improvement. (not even a clean up) Is it any wonder why I hate this stretch of Queen's Quay? You may not see the potential but I have that ability and I'm sure it could be done for a very modest price, that's what's so disappointing. I wish the city would start this discussion with Harbour Square. It's such an important location to just let it stay in its present condition. I'm not just talking about the retail but the building, including that horrible garage. At least cover it up with some nice frosted glass, plastic or whatever.

Why not expand the retail right out to the street and increase the retail footage, while giving the stores a much needed update?

How about you read Zeiss' comment that you actually quoted.

The building itself is very well maintained, don't know if you have seen the main entrance, the lobby or any other part. What you see walking by, is the back of the building. You are right, the QQ side needs renovation and modernization. Last year the condo owners approved the changes and renovation of the retail area, unfortunately the lease holders of the occupied spaces do not agree to any changes that will increase the size of the space, in fact it will almost double. And regarding enclosing the parking garage it would be not only nicer looking but also better for us parking our cars in, unfortunately the price of such repair would be very high. Few years ago there has been proposal for new lounge and fitness centre in existing, empty and enclosed space on the 3th floor. Plans and renovation was to be $1.2 million...

Thanks for the insider info Zeiss. So is it just a waiting game now for the leases to run its course and renovation when they are over? In any case, one would think that there would be upward pressure for the rents once QQ is redone and the area becomes more coherent.

AoD

Waiting game is the right description. Just imagine how much nicer restaurant or bistro we could have, instead of the pathetic one we have now. There are more than thousand apartments on top of the space. At least few hundred people are going downstairs for a drink or two after work, and lets face it, the restaurants in the Terminal building are for tourists and they don't care for the quality of the food. Even small bistro would be perfect, but we are stuck with this ugly pathetic place that even closes around 6-7 pm.

IMG_1259.jpg

Back