Toronto Rêve | ?m | 14s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

It looks like it belongs beside the Airport Hilton- not in the city..

p5

Why? They've done a pretty good job threading the building into the irregular site...

It looks like it belongs beside the Airport Hilton- not in the city..

p5

Last time I was at the airport I did not see any townhouses nor tree lined streets. I like the way it meets the street and hides the hotel chunck out of view. I think it will be great in-fill.

I really like this project. It's great infill and it will hopefully give a little more life to the area. Front west of Spadina may never be a thriving retail strip, but it will at least become a little friendlier to pedestrians.

Staying grounded

Patricia Best, October 25, 2007 at 7:08 AM EDT
globeandmail.com

Next Tuesday was supposed to be Toronto's perhaps first "ground awakening." But alas, it is not to be. Starwood Hotels & Resorts was planning to launch the construction of a new hotel with the event. The hotel group is bringing to Canada two new brands - aloft and element. Neither has a capital letter in its name. The first Canadian aloft hotel - one of the first Starwood is building in the world - is under construction near the Montreal airport. The aloft brand operates under Starwood's metro-hip W Hotel group. The element hotel in Toronto is an extended-stay hotel aimed at the business traveller and will be the first outside the United States. Starwood spokeswoman Cynthia Bond says the developers of the hotel decided that spring would be a more appropriate time for a ground awakening.

"We're awakening the city of Toronto with a new hotel brand, we're not breaking anything," she explains.

A new render, from the mangahotels.com website:

2340797319_e8e2bae8cb.jpg

Ground has been broken by the way - this is under construction now.

The King-Spadina-Front-Bathurst quadrangle is the most exciting area to watch in the city right now. Partly because of Freed, but all the developers who are participating in the development of this neighbourhood have created striking modernist mid-rise developments that form real street walls. If the result is anything like the north side of Stewart street, we are in for a real treat.

Yes, it's rather exciting. Proof that modernism can be mid-rise, and striking, and not a plain highrise tower plopped anywhere and without context. The Wellington West area is starting to come of age. Even Sixty Loft, on the other side of Bathurst, looks quite good for what it does.

Thanks for catching up with this one Cabeman.

While this project doesn't seem to have captured too much imagination, it looks to me that it will be a very appropriately scaled addition to the area, and bring real life to it. Having a hotel (or two) (and soon three once 550 Wellington is in) will bring about quite the evolution of this area around Victoria Memorial Park. King West is becoming well known amongst hipper locals as a fun place to live, and meet - and I'd venture that 5 years from now it will also be one of the most sought after areas to stay in when visiting the city.

Back