Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I see the real wooden telephone pole with metal accents that was supposed to be part of the original design in those pictures. I'm curious if all the aluminum poles that have been installed were temporary or if the project has suffered the cheapening with a mix of poles as the end result. The dark black TTC poles were definitely more contrasting than ever suggested in the original design and are likely here to stay.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the light at Spadina and Lakeshore has been reconfigured!!!!

The 510 no longer needs to wait for left-turning vehicles. The streetcar's advance green goes on before the left turn. The left turn signal is now the last phase of the light, before it goes red. It has resulted in a much longer left turn signal for vehicles than the past configuration, as well as a speedier trip for the 510 which no longer needs to wait for left-turning vehicles.

Win-win for all!

It has been confusing for drivers though. I've seen a few ahead of me start to accelerate as they expect the green, however, it hasn't created any issues as I haven't seen a driver enter the intersection yet.

I see the real wooden telephone pole with metal accents that was supposed to be part of the original design in those pictures. I'm curious if all the aluminum poles that have been installed were temporary or if the project has suffered the cheapening with a mix of poles as the end result. The dark black TTC poles were definitely more contrasting than ever suggested in the original design and are likely here to stay.

The aluminum poles have been temporary for all of WaterfrontTO's work to date, so I assume its no different here.

Last edited:
The aluminum poles have been temporary for all of WaterfrontTO's work to date, so I assume its no different here.
Yes, they have just put up a couple of the new wood poles up on the south side of QQ between Bay and York. I think that MAYBE the wooden poles will only be on the south side of the street.

I think that MAYBE the wooden poles will only be on the south side of the street.

I don't think so, as the wooden poles are part of the overall design. I don't see WT cheapening on this at all, and none of their past work points to them taking shortcuts. If they paid for granite on both sides of the street, there is no reason why they will not finish both sides of the street with the same lights.

Their quick facts also specify that the project will be using wooden poles:

"Light pole: Timber pole with wire brush finish and cast aluminum base with tree bark pattern"

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/central_waterfront/queens_quay

They opened the new roadway just past the bridge so they may begin work on the other half - however they created the lane too narrow and now a garbage truck is stuck, and a massive traffic jam has been created.

so they had a driver behind them and one of the two garbage men pull the fence back in one tight spot to get it through. However a little later in the day a cube truck went through and didnt care that he did not fit .. end result is some of that fast fenced in a crumpled mess.

They just removed the concrete jersey barriers east of Bay. So now there are two lanes instead of one (one east / one west) but the eastbound lane still isn't cleared of construction equipment yet.

February 11/2015

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 820
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 740
Last edited:
.. just to lie unused. There are signs up now saying June 2015 / late spring for EB Queens Quay.

It'll be interesting to see how much pedestrians actually use this space because the new design has given over a HUGE chunk of the former roadway to pedestrians and bicycle paths. I think that's great as long as it gets used. Otherwise the whole thing will be running at basically half the capacity that could be put through there car wise. And we have some long cold winter months down by the lake.

There were times in the past when QQ was swamped with pedestrians, so I think it will be well used. I lived there when they did a test of the project, and it was terrific.

Yes, winter months see far fewer people down by the lake, but there are also fewer cars at that time so it evens out.

It'll be interesting to see how much pedestrians actually use this space because the new design has given over a HUGE chunk of the former roadway to pedestrians and bicycle paths. I think that's great as long as it gets used. Otherwise the whole thing will be running at basically half the capacity that could be put through there car wise. And we have some long cold winter months down by the lake.

That section you've photographed actually contains an access roadway for the buildings on the south side, so it's really not just pedestrians and bike paths. Personally I am more concerned how the interface between all the types of traffic will work there.

AoD

Last edited:
.. just to lie unused. There are signs up now saying June 2015 / late spring for EB Queens Quay.

The part that is supposed to be used for driving east can not be used yet as it is not finished, is not even touched yet, they have to remove the old pavement, grade it , compact it, apply concrete then apply asphalt on top and only then can be used.

That section you've photographed actually contains an access roadway for the buildings on the south side, so it's really not just pedestrians and bike paths. Personally I am more concerned how the interface between all the types of traffic will work there.

AoD

The lights you see in the picture are temporary and will be removed when QQ gets ready to open. The service road is only one way /east and cars will not be crossing the street as it is now, so there will be no need of this lights.

Back