Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Is this a no-left-turn intersection? And if not, it doesn't appear there are any traffic signals.

There's no signage at that spot at all. It's not really a full intersection it's just the place where residents of Harbour Square leave the pick-up drop off area. I'm surprised there wasn't an accident earlier. It really was just waiting to happen. I notice the streetcars slowing as the pass the area, but it's not controlled at all. Yeah, thank goodness it wasn't one of the new ones. Then there'd only be one left!

Is this a no-left-turn intersection? And if not, it doesn't appear there are any traffic signals.

There are traffic lights just east of this spot, unfortunately I see people everyday that disobey them. Couple of times noticed that even TTC drivers ignore the lights on this same place.

What? That would be the first time I've ever seen a streetcar go through a red light anywhere in the city.
Don't know how this accident occurred , but in normal circumstances when you pass the green light and make left turn about 30 meters away from the first left there is no problem, however if there is slower traffic and after you pass the green, by the time you get to the second left /30meters away/ its already green for the street car.

Here's how the interface worked today. Pow! Right in the driver's side. :cool:

View attachment 41895

The exact same collision took place again this morning at about 9:15am.

While walking to the York streetcar stop, I heard a streetcar ringing it's bell and horn loudy, followed by a smash. Looked over to find a cab making a left turn onto the tracks right in front of a 510. He got out to examine the damage, and the streetcar started dumping riders on the spot...

Ended up walking to work today.

Wow. The exact same place!

h9wX7fk.jpg

Credit: Reddit

Attachments

• h9wX7fk.jpg
    h9wX7fk.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,162
When I went by the intersection yesterday around 15:00 there was a cop directing people across the streetcar tracks. The signal immediately to the west was operating but being completely ignored (which makes sense given that there isn't actually an intersection there as far as I could see).

Streetcars were therefore moving completely unimpeded through that segment.

Last edited:
So this truck has been stuck like this for the last 5 minutes. I don't know why he doesn't just back up and try again.

Anyway, it looks too tight for truck turns!

And it will be a total impossibility once the Eastbound lanes opens for traffic.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 842
Anyway, it looks too tight for truck turns!

And it will be a total impossibility once the Eastbound lanes opens for traffic.
Some intersections in the city aren't suitable for truck turns. Nothing new there. I've seen trucks stuck before trying to turn from northbound Parliament to westbound King.

Bottom line, is that such massive trucks aren't suitable in the downtown core. While you do see transport trucks in European cities, you don't generally see people making deliveries with then in city centres!

What a coincidence . How often one member can see himself in a picture posted by another UT member. I am with the grey SUV just behind the truck. As soon as me and the other car cleared, he backed up a bit and continued on his way.

Last edited:
Hydro started to do 24 hour shifts last Friday - as they are well ahead of schedule now with Rees reopening between Spadina and Queens Quay today.. which is almost 2 weeks ahead of schedule. I'm hopeful this means there wont be any delay anymore. They are also really pushing the advertisements for the Redpath Festival on June 20th-22nd with a picture of a completed Queens Quay.

Back