Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Sounds like from the sounds of it that there were a few main issues:

1. Toronto Hydro not getting their act together to fund their part in time to start when they were supposed to
2. Unknown Unknowns - all the stuff you don't find out until you start digging
3. Artificial deadline of Pan-Am games (which arguably is necessary due to the location) and probably was part of the bid

Don't think TTC had much to do with the delay, if anything Waterfront Toronto/Pan-Am forced Toronto Hydro to get things done...

I understand the concept of not publicly announcing the $30 million overrun until the agreements were in place (as then they will just not agree to anything but whatever was budgeted). But they definitely should have come out and said there will be significant overruns and we've have a number but aren't releasing it until the agreements are in place...

I guess this is just the first of a list of many items where Ford failed to stop the gravy (just wait for Union and NPS to be complete!)

You are correct.

Hydro 6 months late starting and they had issues during the process that add more cost to their work and this project.

The lake try to reclaim the area that was fill in by flooding various location where underground work had to take place, causing delays as well extra cost to deal with the flooding.

Various changes took place to please the locals that cost more in the end.

TTC play no part in this cost overrun unless it had to do with the 2nd platform that was not part of this project. The 2nd platform delay the opening of the ROW.

The fire department added some extra cost by demanding concrete in place of grass.

Union is well over budget.

Eastern who were the project management help in some of the extra cost by not managing the project like they were supposed to in the first place.

Various trades made changes by upgrading things as it was the correct way to go and added extra costs also.

The 2nd platform delay the opening of the ROW.

The delays to opening the second subway platform at Union had nothing do with the delays on the ROW. The TTC had planned from the outset to open the streetcar platforms before the subway platforms. Did you not notice that the streetcar platforms and wires were not completed on the ROW when the second platform at Union opened?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The delays to opening the second subway platform at Union had nothing do with the delays on the ROW. The TTC had planned from the outset to open the streetcar platforms before the subway platforms. Did you not notice that the streetcar platforms and wires were not completed on the ROW when the second platform at Union opened?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Did you not notice the walkway is only to the 2nd platform and it wasn't completed when the platform open?

TTC used a moving date on the loop and even stated the delay was caused by the 2nd platform to a point.

Even if the ROW was completed before the opening of the 2nd platform, the loop was out of service until the stairs to the 2nd platform could be open. This includes the elevator.

Did you not notice the walkway is only to the 2nd platform and it wasn't completed when the platform open?

TTC used a moving date on the loop and even stated the delay was caused by the 2nd platform to a point.

Even if the ROW was completed before the opening of the 2nd platform, the loop was out of service until the stairs to the 2nd platform could be open. This includes the elevator.

I noticed that the door in the passageway was locked when it was open, yes. Did you not notice the streetcars not running into the loop, or all of the work going on in the ROW? Last I checked, they needed overhead wires to be able to move - unless you know something that we don't.

The original plan, had the work on the surface been completed, was to use the same types of temporary steps as they have used elsewhere from the platforms to the concourse. The tilework in the passageway was going to be done in stages, as it was done elsewhere in the station. The elevator never entered into the equation, as they knew that it would be ready when it was ready.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In todays update this was noted ...

Soil Cell Damage
Crews are investigating damage to the recently completed soil cells in front of Queens Quay Terminal after a contractor (unaffiliated with Eastern Construction) drove a vehicle through the area. Initial inspections indicate that many of the soil cells have
been damaged and will have to be replaced in January before completion of the Martin Goodman Trail and installation of granite pavers can move forward. Please note that in order to facilitate this work, a pedestrian diversion will be installed routing pedestrians across the front of the Queens Quay Terminal building.

I think Tory had the most reasonable, middle ground response: "Obviously I am concerned with the cost overruns with respect to the Queens Quay project and, in particular, the lack of transparency and timeliness in reporting these costs. We need to invest in our waterfront, but we need to do so carefully and in a transparent manner that respects the tax dollars we are investing."
Yes, it is a reasoned response BUT Waterfront Toronto is actually VERY transparent and consults endlessly. Frankly, far better than the City and Tory's 'smart track' plan is not a good example of a carefully thought out proposal and would benefit from lots of public input.

In todays update this was noted ...

Soil Cell Damage
Crews are investigating damage to the recently completed soil cells in front of Queens Quay Terminal after a contractor (unaffiliated with Eastern Construction) drove a vehicle through the area. Initial inspections indicate that many of the soil cells have
been damaged and will have to be replaced in January before completion of the Martin Goodman Trail and installation of granite pavers can move forward. Please note that in order to facilitate this work, a pedestrian diversion will be installed routing pedestrians across the front of the Queens Quay Terminal building.

I think this should be also posted in the "Does Construction Take Too Long to Complete in This City?" thread. This a perfect example of incompetency and total disregard for public interests by the construction workers in this city. I personally witnessed clearly intoxicated workers working on a condo next door. No wonder everything is sloppy and poorly done in this city. No accountability. "Somebody else will pay" attitude.

I think this should be also posted in the "Does Construction Take Too Long to Complete in This City?" thread. This a perfect example of incompetency and total disregard for public interests by the construction workers in this city. I personally witnessed clearly intoxicated workers working on a condo next door. No wonder everything is sloppy and poorly done in this city. No accountability. "Somebody else will pay" attitude.
It's not just the construction workers. Few do the right thing.

Did you call the Ministry of Labour when you saw drunk construction workers working? If not, your part of the problem too.

It's not just the construction workers. Few do the right thing.

Did you call the Ministry of Labour when you saw drunk construction workers working? If not, your part of the problem too.
I called the developer and 311. So yeah, way to shift blame on me!

Few times I have seen cars driving on the tracks and at the last moment they realize and turn around, some even go down the tunnel and back up. But first time I see GO bus doing it, as there was no way to turn around he continued his route going east in the west going street. At least the bus didn't end up in the tunnel.

IMG_7887.jpg

IMG_7890.jpg

IMG_7892.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7887.jpg
    IMG_7887.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_7890.jpg
    IMG_7890.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_7892.jpg
    IMG_7892.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 606
Cars using the tracks to go east are fairly common on my side of Queens Quay - you see atleast 1 or 2 a night.

Is the white-bricked lane south of the tunnel portal the eastbound lane for this part of Queens Quay? I don't think it is - I think the eastbound lane is just asphalt-surfaced on the north side of the tracks like with rest of the redesigned street…

but then what is the white-bricked lane for here?

Back