Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

They have the first part of York stop finally pour and now working to built the new traffic lanes between York and Simcoe. You can see part of the York St new intersection to the right.

The sidewalk is complete on the north side and working from Simcoe to Ress. By September they could have the new traffic lanes in service between Ress and York in both direction

A central theme to the Waterfront Revitalization was a continuous water's edge. That cannot be achieved without the footbridges so while they're deferred, I think the money will be found once the focus moves beyond Queen's Quay road and sidewalk infrastructure. All of the planned bridges are important to this but none more so than Spadina. It'll resolve the perceived feeling of private property from the condo there. A new deck will push it away further inland creating true public access along that portion of waterfront.

WT should have built the footbridges long time! with those billions of dollars they had! And Now they're askin for more with so slow progress they've been doin on the waterfront! kinda piss off!

WT should have built the footbridges long time! with those billions of dollars they had! And Now they're askin for more with so slow progress they've been doin on the waterfront! kinda piss off!

They tried - to the point of having detailed designs. TPA and residents concerns sunk it.

AoD

Please tell me they're not going to leave in those wooden hyrdo poles in the first photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure those are temporary as Hydro is being entirely buried along this stretch.

But 'temporary' wooden poles have a way of sticking around for years in Toronto, as they did on St. Clair.

What was the basis of TPA's opposition that sunk the footbridges, AoD?

(And residents, for that matter? Tho I can kind of guess: Footbridges would mean people using them?)

I believe the former have issues with recreational boating access (Billy Bishop,ahem...and the latter, you guessed it. I also vaguely recall the accessibility argument being trotted out as a Trojan Horse.

It's still listed as "in the future" on WT website, but I suspect they will have to wait still after QQ reopens for buy-in from the community. TPA, who knows, maybe when the Federal Liberals get in power?

See: http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=673ef652-4360-4b02-a3df-216357879f32

AoD

Last edited:
I'm currently on vacation in Poland and I must say, looking through these pictures leaves me with a sense of disappointment. Even in one of the most industrial cities in Poland where I am staying, the downtown core is being revitalized with wonderful floor tiles and public spaces. It certainly puts anything we are building or currently have on our Waterfront and downtown core to shame. And Toronto has the economy/budget equivalent of small countries.

As I was watching the workers lay down the floor tiles, the only thought that crossed my mind was that anything like this in Toronto would be decried as "government waste" and be discouraged and actively fought against in council. Sigh, why can't we have nice things?

/rant.

The granite maple leaf mosaic is as good as any fine pavement in Europe--except perhaps for some of the more artistic examples of Portuguese pavement. But it's true that European cities do more in the way of public realm improvements. Even small towns will pave every single street in important areas with granite--both on the roadway and sidewalks.

The pictures on here aren't doing this project justice. The granite mosaics look awesome, and the area should look a lot better once greenery is installed. Just wait for it to be complete. It's literally a sandbox right now.

I'm currently on vacation in Poland and I must say, looking through these pictures leaves me with a sense of disappointment. Even in one of the most industrial cities in Poland where I am staying, the downtown core is being revitalized with wonderful floor tiles and public spaces. It certainly puts anything we are building or currently have on our Waterfront and downtown core to shame. And Toronto has the economy/budget equivalent of small countries.

As I was watching the workers lay down the floor tiles, the only thought that crossed my mind was that anything like this in Toronto would be decried as "government waste" and be discouraged and actively fought against in council. Sigh, why can't we have nice things?

/rant.

Seriously what are you talking about .. this looks great ... there are better pics a few pages back, this is much better than Bloor in my opinion as well, and I'm confident they'll do a great job on the furniture / lights ..

This is absoluetly the wrong thread to complain in ... things are (and will be) done right here ... feel free to complain on any other post involving just about all Toronto projects where sidewalk treatment is an afterthought ..

It looks great for Toronto's standards. All agreed.

If you asked me two weeks ago about this project, I don't think I'd have shed a single complaint. Europe is leaving me spoiled however. :p

I hear ya. I went to Delhi for work a month ago, and was expecting to find Toronto nice and clean and pretty by comparison, but my plane had a long layover in Austria and stupid, beautiful Vienna ruined my homecoming. I got here and Toronto looked awful by contrast.

I gotta say, though, Sugar Beach and Corus Quay and all the places along Queens Quay with the new signature granite pavers are one of the few places that stand to the test.

Last edited:

Back