Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

There we go again... WWLRT was deferred to 2028 (read cancelled) in 2008 (RoFo was just a lame councillor at the time).

Not quite:

http://www.ccfew.org/html/waterfront_west_lrt.html

Note who was leading the charge against it and whose circle he was in. Now, move to now - are you saying that his worship would have chose to fund it instead? But of course, we've been through this before:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...Subway-(DRL)-(Metrolinx-TTC-Proposed)/page202

I am quite happy to support a mayoral candidate who move this project up the priority list.

AoD

Last edited:
Not quite:

http://www.ccfew.org/html/waterfront_west_lrt.html

Note who was leading the charge against it and whose circle he was in. Now, move to now - are you saying that his worship would have chose to fund it instead? But of course, we've been through this before:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...Subway-(DRL)-(Metrolinx-TTC-Proposed)/page202

I am quite happy to support a mayoral candidate who move this project up the priority list.

AoD

Residents had issues with the implementation plan, but a fixed high speed link to downtown was always a priority.

Steve Munro summed it up pretty well:

First, Metrolinx timetable from 2009:

2022 Construction starts; Park Lawn Loop is built
2026 Service begins from Exhibition Loop to Dufferin
2028 Service begins from Dufferin to Park Lawn
2029 Service begins from Park Lawn to Long Branch

Then a captain obvious statement directed at the TTC/City:

Most of the Lake Shore community residents who have attended EA meetings to discuss the design and effect on their neighbourhoods will have to wait two decades to see the project implemented. Whatever happened to Toronto’s “Transit First” model for the waterfront? Must we wait for the complete condoization of Lake Shore before anything happens with transit service? How relevant will 2009 studies be if the project isn’t actually in operation until 2029?

I would think it would make sense to run one out over third car straight through (from both directions) and to not service Union. Although, that may prove too confusing for Toronto.

When we started on the Master Transit Plan for the waterfront, there was a vision that there would be different type of service on all lines. QQ would see bypass service of the Union Loop as a straight line and would be made up of different branches. This goes back as far as 2004 when the plan was being drawn up.

Even during the EA for QQE, a through line was always part of the plan to service the EX as well going west. TTC even looked at having cars come down from Broadview Station to service the EX. Until the QQE and the Cherry St extension happens, only a dream.

Now the Lib's are back in power and there will be a new mayor later this year, time for talking is over and time to build the QQE LRT line to make the waterfront "Transit First" as it was supposed to be in the first place and keep cars out or as low as possible.

Most of the Lake Shore community residents who have attended EA meetings to discuss the design and effect on their neighbourhoods will have to wait two decades to see the project implemented. Whatever happened to Toronto’s “Transit First” model for the waterfront? Must we wait for the complete condoization of Lake Shore before anything happens with transit service? How relevant will 2009 studies be if the project isn’t actually in operation until 2029?

It wasn't like we've built much new transit anywhere along the waterfront - maybe a 1km stub here or there. That's it. Harborufront LRT was falling apart and was tacked onto the QQW project, beyond thatdid anyone get a substantial line anywhere? Nope.

Make no mistake - I don't disagree with you on the score that we shouldn't till everything is built up and then build transit, but at the same time, I think South Etobicoke needs to get its act together and decide what they want out of the line. The last thing the city would want is get into neighbourhood sniping along the lines of SOS at St. Clair, which added significant cost and delays.

AoD

It wasn't like we've built much new transit anywhere along the waterfront - maybe a 1km stub here or there. That's it. Harborufront LRT was falling apart and was tacked onto the QQW project, beyond thatdid anyone get a substantial line anywhere? Nope.

Make no mistake - I don't disagree with you on the score that we shouldn't till everything is built up and then build transit, but at the same time, I think South Etobicoke needs to get its act together and decide what they want out of the line. The last thing the city would want is get into neighbourhood sniping along the lines of SOS at St. Clair, which added significant cost and delays.

AoD

I think the community has unanimously spoken about what we want:

1) Any transit improvement (choose one or more from the below)
- Park Lawn Loop
- GO Station at Park Lawn
- Improving connections to Mimico GO
- Streetcar scheduling improvements (ie: I'd rather not wait 30 minutes for the next streetcar)
- Capacity improvements on north/south bus routes (good luck getting into the bus during rush hour on the 66D)
- Regular fare 145 Express Bus (given the stellar transit in the area, this should be a regular fare route)

2) Legion Rd Extension

I actually can't believe this item got deferred to the 2020 capital budget. There is only one way into the neighbourhood from the north and it's Park Lawn. That street is getting more and more clogged at all hours of the day and night.. We need a second link from the Gardiner/north into the area. Actually, only one lane in either direction will be available for the rest of the summer/fall 2014 while they rebuild the sewers in the area. Shit is literally about to hit the fan.

Residents had issues with the implementation plan, but a fixed high speed link to downtown was always a priority.

Steve Munro summed it up pretty well:

First, Metrolinx timetable from 2009:

2022 Construction starts; Park Lawn Loop is built
2026 Service begins from Exhibition Loop to Dufferin
2028 Service begins from Dufferin to Park Lawn
2029 Service begins from Park Lawn to Long Branch

Then a captain obvious statement directed at the TTC/City:

I have issues with this plan now as well in the past, but if we go back to the 90's plan and modify it, you can get faster service than what there now or plan.

Park Lawn loop need to be to the west to service the area correctly with a new GO station at Park Lawn.

The Line would stay 100% on the Lake Shore from Humber River that will require a new bridge there and connect to Fleet ROW.

TTC has this Vision of running the line along Fort York/Bremner and go under ACC to connect to the Bay tunnel. Doing so will be an operation nightmare since TTC even wants to run a Bathurst route along this line to Union. Union will never be able to handle the ridership if all these lines are going there along with the QQ lines. The QQ lines alone will be pushing the limit to the point they will have issues moving riders.

This was based on old plans vision for the waterfront east to the point that the current proposals will be over load Union within 20 years or less after the QQE line opens.

The new Union Loop plan is only good for today service, but not 15 years from now.

2) Legion Rd Extension

I actually can't believe this item got deferred to the 2020 capital budget. There is only one way into the neighbourhood from the north and it's Park Lawn. That street is getting more and more clogged at all hours of the day and night.. We need a second link from the Gardiner/north into the area. Actually, only one lane in either direction will be available for the rest of the summer/fall 2014 while they rebuild the sewers in the area. Shit is literally about to hit the fan.

If there was one thing I thought Ford would do, it was roadway projects. Widen St. Clair, Legion Road extension, maybe even another bridge across Don Valley. I'm actually shocked he did less road works projects than Miller (in either term).

Widening under the railway bridge between Old Weston and Keele along St. Clair W is such a no-brainer. Although, he would have had to work with Metrolinx (and he doesn't work with anyone) and it would have made the remaining problem with the St. Clair ROW go-away (which doesn't fit into his political narative).

Whatever happened to those islands in the shape of maple leaves in the harbour? Is that still going to happen?
They where kind of DOA when things got approved, but with the lack of funds these days, most likely be a few decades or not at all.

The same thing applies to the bridges along the water edge with the folks at Spadina & QQ being the stop plug since they see the waterfront as their own, not the people who would walk by their place and block their view.

Here is a few photos from June 07 I just uploaded to the site
14262206018_380a2dba2d_b.jpg

14262379087_cb1578b590_b.jpg

14262205328_5d6f3bc627_b.jpg

14262485237_2c36866155_b.jpg

14262190130_4cb0388d86_b.jpg

They where kind of DOA when things got approved, but with the lack of funds these days, most likely be a few decades or not at all.

The same thing applies to the bridges along the water edge with the folks at Spadina & QQ being the stop plug since they see the waterfront as their own, not the people who would walk by their place and block their view.

Yeah, the footbridges would have made the waterfront that much more interesting - I believe the TPA is also quite zealous about the impact of the bridges on boating activity - which is kinda funny considering the proposed runway extension.

Speaking of impact - a Star piece:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...n_pushing_business_to_the_breaking_point.html

AoD

Last edited:
According to TTC CEO report for TTC meeting next week, streetcars may not return to Union Station until October 11. Most likely due to the section west of Spadina and overhead.

Buses will be on standby for service after Aug 31 to October 11 if service is push back until the line is open.

510 is still on schedule for the loop on Aug 31, but it may not happen depending what taking place at the intersection at the time.

Missing links belong in the other thread, but don't support the St Clair extension, as it too residential now.

Back