Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Yes, I doubt that the Spadina Loop can possibly be ready to allow service to restart on Spadina to QQ by the mid-February date. I understand that the delays are mainly due to Hydro (there's a surprise!) as they need to finish things on QQ itself so that the TTC and WT can move the vehicle traffic over and get back to track laying.

What are they doing to the underground union streetcar loop? Just track replacements, or are they improving the loop in other ways?

Thanks

What are they doing to the underground union streetcar loop? Just track replacements, or are they improving the loop in other ways?

Thanks

There is to be new entrance/exit to the subway and Union Station itself. To get to/from the subway 2nd platform as well Union Station will be/should be the same level as the platform. The existing entrance/exit will be upgraded.

The Union Station entrance/exit is based on the rebuilding of the current area to the new lower level. Some of it maybe temporarily until construction starts on it later this year after the new west concourse opens.

Platform has to be built for the new cars.

They can't put in two-way traffic lanes until the new 2 lane road is built on the north side of the new ROW. Later this year, westbound traffic will have to use the Lake Shore since traffic will be only eastbound.

If this happens before the streetcars return, it will be a bitch for people using transit down there. I know there was talks about opening the new north side roads in phases and not sure if that is still on the table, but the plan keeps changing.

Hey Drum, based on what you know, do you actually see the 510 and 509 being restored by August 31st? Still looks to be quite a bit of work to do for the 509 anyway. Hopefully the 510 will still open to Queens Quay even if the 509 isn't ready.

Hey Drum, based on what you know, do you actually see the 510 and 509 being restored by August 31st? Still looks to be quite a bit of work to do for the 509 anyway. Hopefully the 510 will still open to Queens Quay even if the 509 isn't ready.

One would hope so....can't imagine the mess if the new longer vehicles have to navigate Spadina/Addelaide/King/Spadina to avoid going futher south!

I expect the Spadina loop will be in place before Aug. It been a few months since I last saw it and way behind viewing it as well other ones due to weather and other things. Keep in mind that Spadina is schedule for work in Aug that all streetcars will be pull from service and to restart on Aug 31.

If things stay on course for QQ, it should be done before Aug 31. Both 510 & 509 should be using pans on day one since the lines overhead will/should be 100% complete.

As for Union Station, no idea since I haven't been behind the scene to see what is going on and saying X date. The last noticed I saw at Union said July, but the Aug date is unknown to why. It may have to do with the opening of the new south 2nd platform at the same time.

IBoth 510 & 509 should be using pans on day one since the lines overhead will/should be 100% complete.

I certainly hope they will use pantographs on QQ and Spadina when they finally finish trackwork but there will probably be sections of overhead en route to Spadina from the Barns that will not have completely new overhead so they will need poles for these sections. How easy is it to move from pans to poles? If it is complicated I bet they will just use poles but I guess we will see.

Keep in mind that Spadina is schedule for work in Aug that all streetcars will be pull from service and to restart on Aug 31.

What work is supposed to be done in August that will allow streetcars to resume service on the 31st?

What work is supposed to be done in August that will allow streetcars to resume service on the 31st?
The loop at Queen's Quay (which is being worked on now and is due to be finished by August 30), the rebuild of Spadina and Dundas and some work in the Spadina loop - all of which is due to start May 13. and last until August.

Last edited:
There are days that not even one worker can be seen on QQ. And not on a very cold days. Maybe they are waiting different crews, ... don't know? As living here and seeing how it develops, I get the impression that this project is not priority number one for the company in charge.

Agreed. It seems to me that big holes get dug and nothing happens. Then another hole is dug. Some sidewalk gets put down, but they are still digging nearby. A lot of time passes without visible progress.

There are days that not even one worker can be seen on QQ. And not on a very cold days. Maybe they are waiting different crews, ... don't know? As living here and seeing how it develops, I get the impression that this project is not priority number one for the company in charge.

No kidding. Been down there shooting at various times up to the fall and you would think it was a holiday as there wasn't a sole to be seen. Same for the few times I have got down there this year.

Eastern hasn't done the job they were supposed to do so far. Can understand the bitter winter days, and the water issues problems, but not the rest of them. Then Hydro still doing their thing in delaying things.

It is a major priority for Waterfront Toronto and it pissing a few people off there.

Last year they installed new asphalt, fixed the sidewalks and even painted maple leafs between Yonge and Jarvis, 2 months later Hydro showed up and destroyed everything done .

Back