Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

its a safety thing. Guys come out and mark out utilities before they make a cut, and they mark the whole general area of where the work is needed, even if it's only a small little bit of work.
Yes, and sometimes they then find that no cutting is necessary but better to know what's there to avoid cutting a gas pipe or phone line. Due to the wait the utilities tend to have locates done for all their work-sites in case what looks likely to be something that will NOT require excavation suddenly does when they actually get there.
The paint they use to mark utilities is supposed to fade away quite fast but there is clearly a balance between fading too fast (before the work has started) or fading too slow (when it looks messy). Last time I heard, apart from emergencies, there is a 4-5 week wait for utility locates.

Does WT have any power to ensure the utility cuts will be properly repaired, or are we going to end up with the usual crap Toronto job?

there have already been several cuts along the MGT. At first there is an asphalt patch (there is currently one somewhere along the MGT right now), and they replace it back with the original paving within a few months.

It's too bad we don't have a system like in europe, where pavers are used everywhere (no concrete sidewalks). All cut work simply removes the pavers, does the job, and puts them back immediately.

Yes, and sometimes they then find that no cutting is necessary but better to know what's there to avoid cutting a gas pipe or phone line. Due to the wait the utilities tend to have locates done for all their work-sites in case what looks likely to be something that will NOT require excavation suddenly does when they actually get there.
The paint they use to mark utilities is supposed to fade away quite fast but there is clearly a balance between fading too fast (before the work has started) or fading too slow (when it looks messy). Last time I heard, apart from emergencies, there is a 4-5 week wait for utility locates.
The paint they use never fades. There are always phantom taggings that are there for good. This has been a pet peeve of mine since I moved to this city 20 years ago.

^^ What I've observed over the years is that the colour fades from the taggings but that white, faded phantom markings remain permanently.

Lasting a year is too long IMHO. 4-5 weeks I think is a good balance.

It's typically closer to 2 weeks in a high traffic area (lots of pedestrian activity) and 1 year in very low to no pedestrian activity.

So.. in some places the paint lasts too long and in other places they're out detecting and repainting numerous times for a single job.

Councillor Joe Cressy tweeted this out today.

"Great news for the Waterfront - @WaterfrontTO starts piece of the waterfront trail near Dan Leckie Way this Monday https://goo.gl/4dR6Mo"

2wkbTsz

I can't imagine that being a wavedeck.

AoD

I hope it isn't--I thought the whole point of this was to let cyclists ride freely on the MGT through this stretch, and let pedestrians have a space to walk without worrying about cyclists. A wavedeck is not a good walking experience for people as the sole option rather than being alongside a sidewalk. The map also had a purple "sidewalk" line drawn through it--I think "deck" literally means deck here, not shorthand for wavedeck.

I hope it isn't--I thought the whole point of this was to let cyclists ride freely on the MGT through this stretch, and let pedestrians have a space to walk without worrying about cyclists. A wavedeck is not a good walking experience for people as the sole option rather than being alongside a sidewalk. The map also had a purple "sidewalk" line drawn through it--I think "deck" literally means deck here, not shorthand for wavedeck.

Exactly. Besides, this is too dinky to be a wavedeck that make a difference.

AoD

The wave deck here, if it's ever built, wold be in in the next section further out. They're only building a portion of what's eventually planned, just to get the MGT and the sidewalk separated as quickly as possible.

Back