Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Boy, they need to do something about that parking lot west of Rees St as it was screwing up traffic in both direction trying to get into it to the point cars were using the wrong lanes as well the ROW to get around these turning cars. A few close calls for head on collision almost took place a few time watching this mess. Some cars got up on part of the ROW to go around the turning cars. Some even try using the ROW, but were force off it by me or an LRV.

Went to get some shots of the trees, but got side track and will either doing it Monday or Tuesday when I am down in the area.

Boy, they need to do something about that parking lot west of Rees St as it was screwing up traffic in both direction.
Fortunately the lot is becoming a park, it has been a traffic problem for ages and I was surprised they did not close the current entrance and make a new one via the driveway at Beer Store. That has a traffic light.

Fortunately the lot is becoming a park, it has been a traffic problem for ages and I was surprised they did not close the current entrance and make a new one via the driveway at Beer Store. That has a traffic light.
It becoming a park has been talked about since 2008 and no money. We even looked at putting parking under it as well an area to park buses.

As for the stop light at the Beer store, will have the same problem for events until it gets closed.

Looks like removal of the pinch point is underway.

20170909_161422_HDR (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20170909_161422_HDR (1).jpg
    20170909_161422_HDR (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 258

The Beer store has a traffic light solely because of the fire station - left turns from QQ to the beer store are even banned at the intersection.

The Beer store has a traffic light solely because of the fire station - left turns from QQ to the beer store are even banned at the intersection.
True and true BUT the no left turn prohibition could be changed and we could have only one entry/exit onto/off QQE in that block. It would certainly not be perfect but it MIGHT be better - until the long-promised park is built.

The beer store parking lot is private property. Unless you can purchase a ROW from the private owners it won't happen. And imagine the additional traffic right beside the residential building and the beer store. If I was a private landowner I would not want this.

Just curious, but are narrow 4 lane roads (2+2) or 3 lane roads (wide middle lane) more preferred? Might not be applicable to QQ, but narrow streets in general.

3 lane roads are generally safer - since left turns are protected. 4 lane roads tend to have a bit more capacity.

Generally, most of the time today in that sort of situation you will see a 3 lane road with a centre left turn lane and right turn lanes at intersections. 30 years ago however, it probably would have been built as a 4 lane road with no left turn lanes or right turn lanes.

3 lane roads are generally safer - since left turns are protected. 4 lane roads tend to have a bit more capacity.

Generally, most of the time today in that sort of situation you will see a 3 lane road with a centre left turn lane and right turn lanes at intersections. 30 years ago however, it probably would have been built as a 4 lane road with no left turn lanes or right turn lanes.
Thanks for the reply

How many downtown streets can be changed to this configuration (assuming no streetcar tracks)? Will on-street parking have to be relocated?

Sept 10
We can see eastbound traffic using the westbound lane to get around the left hand turning backup. Should taken a video of these fool. Same was happening going west as well.
36371479703_333c56280a_b.jpg

36348952774_188182daef_b.jpg

Toronto does have left turn lanes with streetcar tracks. Some new streetcar routes in other cities include a left turn lane for non-streetcars. From various sources.

Benning-Road-Streetcar.jpg

two-stage-turn_portland_or.jpg

CabView-HStreet.jpg

img_4720c.jpg

ttc-4201-kingston-road-19991030.jpg

If a city street is wide enough to have left hand turn lanes adjacent to streetcar tracks it's usually wide enough to have the streetcar tracks in their own ROW.

There is a push to get section 37 money by the ward councilor to get that park built. It will be a park only with nothing under it. There is some money for it, but not close to what is needed.

Back