Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Does anyone know what became of the project for all the pedestrian bridges over the slips?

I remember they got lots of nimby feedback on the Spadina one and then shifted gears.

Not clear to me why they didn't just move on to one of the other bridges in the meantime.

Does anyone know what became of the project for all the pedestrian bridges over the slips?

I remember they got lots of nimby feedback on the Spadina one and then shifted gears.

Not clear to me why they didn't just move on to one of the other bridges in the meantime.
Not dead but awaiting $$$$ (so they may be dead!)

Waterfront TO is focusing on projects that have a return on investment for now, but they did insist at the last town hall event that they haven't forgotten about these.

Unfortunately they're a harder sell because they don't unlock any land value, unlike the next wave of projects on the eastern waterfront. Here's hoping they can scrape together the funding somehow.

Definitely agree- the Central and West Waterfront is still a mishmash of different styles and periods in various states of disrepair. I would almost prefer if they focused on repaving and extending the boardwalk all the way west rather than the bridges.

Would be best to get some consistency throughout.

It’s impressive how much many of the trees grew through the Summer. All that rain was good for something.

Here, you can already see a canopy forming over the bike lane.

9162CD04-A053-4556-83E4-CC2652834770.jpeg

I expected that it’d take a few more years for this to happen but it’s very possible that some of the trees will be touching the trees on the opposite side next year. This tree tunnel is going to be beautiful once it’s grown in.

Attachments

• 9162CD04-A053-4556-83E4-CC2652834770.jpeg
    9162CD04-A053-4556-83E4-CC2652834770.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 372
It’s impressive how much many of the trees grew through the Summer. All that rain was good for something.

Here, you can already see a canopy forming over the bike lane.

View attachment 120136

I expected that it’d take a few more years for this to happen but it’s very possible that some of the trees will be touching the trees on the opposite side next year. This tree tunnel is going to be beautiful once it’s grown in.
It is...going to be beautiful, but I was there earlier in the summer and I recall a block or two where most of the trees seemed to be dead. This is clearly not that block.

Looking at it again, you'd think that pedestrians, cyclists and streetcars could figure out where everyone was supposed to hang out now that the walls have grown in.

Looking at it again, you'd think that pedestrians, cyclists and streetcars could figure out where everyone was supposed to hang out now that the walls have grown in.

They do, for the most part. The mixing zones seems to be the only issue, and the areas where distinct zones for each user are not well defined.

I cycle the route regularly and the only conflicts I consistently face happen at the intersections where there is no tree-line.

My experience, btw, is similar to yours. I don't see a good canopy forming at all. Maybe these few trees, but the rest seem to have grown very little. The angle the photo was taken also makes it appear to be more of a canopy than there actually is.

They do, for the most part. The mixing zones seems to be the only issue, and the areas where distinct zones for each user are not well defined.

I cycle the route regularly and the only conflicts I consistently face happen at the intersections where there is no tree-line.

My experience, btw, is similar to yours. I don't see a good canopy forming at all. Maybe these few trees, but the rest seem to have grown very little. The angle the photo was taken also makes it appear to be more of a canopy than there actually is.

There are spots that are doing better than others, but I’d say that 95% of the trees are viable and will eventually catch up and grow to form the envisioned canopy.

I cycle the route regularly and the only conflicts I consistently face happen at the intersections where there is no tree-line..

I hope one day they'll turn QQW to one way, so they can remove a lane and widen the trail. I've both jogged and cycled on the trail and it's just too squishy at the moment for both uses.

The waterfront was so popular this summer (even after the islands re-opened), at times it felt the area's infrastructure was inadequate to handle the crowds.

There are spots that are doing better than others, but I’d say that 95% of the trees are viable and will eventually catch up and grow to form the envisioned canopy.

I'm less optimistic. Sometimes the overflow of crowds have resulted in people bumping into trees, and I think it has affected their health somewhat.

I'm less optimistic. Sometimes the overflow of crowds have resulted in people bumping into trees, and I think it has affected their health somewhat.

Seriously? You think that that many people are bumping into trees enough to kill them? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody bump into a tree. But maybe if there are that many blind people in Toronto, perhaps I’m one of them.

Last edited:

Back