Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

From the ribbon cutting
IMG_4477 1 copy.JPG
IMG_4483 1 copy.JPG
IMG_4468 1 copy.JPG
IMG_4457 1 copy.JPG
IMG_4479 1 copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4477 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4477 1 copy.JPG
    579.6 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_4483 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4483 1 copy.JPG
    701.9 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_4468 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4468 1 copy.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_4457 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4457 1 copy.JPG
    729 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_4479 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4479 1 copy.JPG
    690.6 KB · Views: 659
A few more.
IMG_4476 1 copy.JPG
IMG_4418 1 copy.JPG
IMG_4458 1 copy.JPG
IMG_4438 1 copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4476 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4476 1 copy.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_4418 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4418 1 copy.JPG
    556 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_4458 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4458 1 copy.JPG
    731.7 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_4438 1 copy.JPG
    IMG_4438 1 copy.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 638
.. too bad work burned me out this week. However its very nice to be out of the construction mess, and it does look good. They just have to figure out the traffic light timing for 401 QQ and 390 QQ. Often will give everyone a red but allow pedestrians to cross and streetcars to go. It seems people are turning off lower spadina onto the streetcar tracks. I suspect signage is coming - as there still some sign posts up with no signs. I hope the guardrails get some TLC, as they look very rough at this point.

Looks great. Thanks for the pics. Other than the miscreant who locked his bike up to the tree in one of those pics, looks orderly and awesome. Can't wait to make my way down when I get back into the city next week.

We looked at making QQ westbound only as well eastbound and both were rejected as they didn't support the community. Also, it force the residents to have to spent a lot of time using the Lake Shore to go a few blocks especially when the Lake Shore come stand still. One way not my choice.

I see some of my committee members in the photo and you miss me by 30' to the west.

Had a short talk with Glen and Tory after the event. Both are pushing to have transit to the east build as soon as possible. What took me back was the $900 million that is missing to do it by Tory, considering its been $375m all along.

Glen said the Feb's in the past have said it was up to the P3 boys to fund their 1/3 share of the project. With SmartTrack getting $2B, maybe more money on the way later this year for the east.

99.8% of the work is done. Spadina TTC switches still not working; guardrail on Peter Slip Bridge missing or partly in place; Wooden poles still to be install; some MGT marking still need to be done. Minor detail to be fix and will be completed by July.

Chase 5 cars off the ROW as well TTC drivers telling a few other.

Yes Spadina needs signage to tell drivers to turn left as TTC staff were chasing driver on almost every light. Driver are not aware they can't cross TTC tracks anymore to go east compare to the past is the big issue and was it was expected. Police should have manpower as regular duty officers on various points that are problem sites to deal with it. This was voice by others.

Cycles were flying along the trail as well a few e-bikes.

One big issues is the lack of space between MGT and the ROW for pedestrians to stand while waiting to cross the street. Got caught in one at Bathurst St with 3 cycles waiting to cross where one of the cycles said the same thing.

Several shots from several hours ago:

DSC01630.jpg
DSC01631.jpg
DSC01640.jpg
DSC01641.jpg
DSC01642.jpg
DSC01644.jpg
DSC01652.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01630.jpg
    DSC01630.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 894
  • DSC01631.jpg
    DSC01631.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 883
  • DSC01640.jpg
    DSC01640.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 862
  • DSC01641.jpg
    DSC01641.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 866
  • DSC01642.jpg
    DSC01642.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 881
  • DSC01644.jpg
    DSC01644.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 853
  • DSC01652.jpg
    DSC01652.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 861
Looks great. Thanks for the pics. Other than the miscreant who locked his bike up to the tree in one of those pics, looks orderly and awesome. Can't wait to make my way down when I get back into the city next week.

Looks like more bicycle posts and/or bicycle stations should be added. Though they would be considered "gravy" from the carservatives on city council.

I hope this speed limitation is a temporary measure while a) drivers acclimatize (I'm skeptical) and b) a real solution is investigated and implemented (I.e. colouring of the ROW).

In the meantime I encourage everyone to hammer your councillors office and Waterfront Toronto with email reports of chaos down there and complaints of slow streetcar service.

I hope this speed limitation is a temporary measure while a) drivers acclimatize (I'm skeptical) and b) a real solution is investigated and implemented (I.e. colouring of the ROW).

In the meantime I encourage everyone to hammer your councillors office and Waterfront Toronto with email reports of chaos down there and complaints of slow streetcar service.

I really hope it is temporary too.

In my opinion, the solution to these collisions is to move the left turn and right turn signals north to be over the roadway, not over the ROW. This would require violating the Ontario Traffic Manual minimum lateral signal spacing, but that rule clearly is causing more harm than good in this situation (very narrow roadway with protected turn signals).

Fortunately the OTM is not a binding document, merely a set of guidelines. All we need is a traffic engineer to document our justification for deviating from the guidance of the OTM. Sadly, this is quite a difficult proposition because deviating from the OTM opens up the City (or Waterfront Toronto, not sure) to liability that they would normally transfer to the MTO. So they would rather put in a design known to be dangerous than a safer design that they would be held responsible for.

As I expected, people know that a paved roadway is for vehicles and have kept off. There are hundreds of people walking along the cobblestone sidewalk and nobody on the Martin Goodman Trail.

I don't doubt that there'll be the occasional aspiring Darwin Award applicant walking into the bike trail but the same can be said of idiots walking into busy traffic on a roadway.

The point is, it's very clear where pedestrians should walk and where there is vehicular traffic.

Back