Vaughan Promenade Mall Revitalization | ?m | 35s | Liberty Development | WZMH

Leaving land designated for agricultural uses gets you tax breaks (it's taxed like a farm) until you're ready to develop it.
Anyway, that's outdated. As just pointed out, there's a bunch of townhomes under construction there now as well as a residence that's part of the adjacent Reena centre (which I don't believe is a retirement home, but same idea).

It's actually quite amazing that piece of land sat there so long.

I think to get the tax status, it has to be "farmed" - so a cheap and easy cash crop like corn is common. Until recently, there was land across Steeles Avenue from Shoppers World Brampton still farmed - one property simply a cornfield, the other run by an old couple that sold corn, pumpkins, and Christmas trees depending on the season; he had a few cows and chickens on the property as well. This was surrounded by high-rise apartments, a mall, townhouses, and a subdivision to the south for many years. Development is finally happening there.

I think to get the tax status, it has to be "farmed" - so a cheap and easy cash crop like corn is common. Until recently, there was land across Steeles Avenue from Shoppers World Brampton still farmed - one property simply a cornfield, the other run by an old couple that sold corn, pumpkins, and Christmas trees depending on the season; he had a few cows and chickens on the property as well. This was surrounded by high-rise apartments, a mall, townhouses, and a subdivision to the south for many years. Development is finally happening there.

Yes - you are correct. It's not the zoning/OP designation and I should have been more specific. And, yeah, they'll usually throw in some corn or soybeans or something easy. I know the Dunlap Observatory lands had this going on for a few years after the sale, before it was time to start building houses.

On-thread, it's interesting that that townhome site just going, after decades lying fallow, right before the mall proposal came down. Same goes for the parcel directly north of the mall. The City is doing a Secondary Plan now, which I guess is a better-late-than-never thing.

Had a walk through the mall today and here are my takes:

-In the old Sears store it's now Bobby's Outlet
-Payless is almost finished there liquidation
-Telus is now a middle of the mall kiosk in front of Fido
-Stitch It is now relocated to near the Rexall
-Popeyes will be replacing the old Stitch It store and Florist across from Terre Rouge
-Coach is gone
-Bella's Shoes will be opening up in the old Townshoes location.

-A&W will be opening up in the former McDonald's
-New York Fries is making a comeback and replacing the Terriyaki Experience

A lot of turnover. Some surprise departures but most of them are being replaced (e.g. McDonald's with A&W).
Popeye's seems a bit weird for Promenade but what do I know. It's an interesting transition going on as redevelopment looms.

former McDonald's

Surprised that McDonald's has bailed -- people were often lined up for 30-45 mins due to their lack of adequate size/cash registers. If anything, I assumed they were going to expand into the previous Tims spot after they vacated for their new spot, due to the obvious customer demand.

So that means the nearest Mickie D's is now the Walmart, which might as well be down a sewer.

PS: Unless they are waiting for the renovation to be completed, with an eye towards a larger, better location.

Surprised that McDonald's has bailed -- people were often lined up for 30-45 mins due to their lack of adequate size/cash registers. If anything, I assumed they were going to expand into the previous Tims spot after they vacated for their new spot, due to the obvious customer demand.

So that means the nearest Mickie D's is now the Walmart, which might as well be down a sewer.

PS: Unless they are waiting for the renovation to be completed, with an eye towards a larger, better location.
I was surprised as well and how abrupt their closure was. I heard from a friend that the Promenade, Walmart and the Hwy 7 & Centre St. Locations are all owned by under the same person.

A lot of turnover. Some surprise departures but most of them are being replaced (e.g. McDonald's with A&W).
Popeye's seems a bit weird for Promenade but what do I know. It's an interesting transition going on as redevelopment looms.
At first I too found it strange that a Popeyes would open there but after giving some thought and just casual demographic observations. They easily have a market with the growing Southeast Asian, Halal and Kosher demands. The closest Popeyes location in operation is located at Bathurst & Steeles and seems to be doing quite well.

Without going off-topic much, in my experience Muslims will often treat kosher meat as Halal but I've never met a person who keeps kosher who will eat Halal meat. Now, if it's a kosher Popeye's, that'd be something...

Quite off-topic, but Dufferin Mall's McDonald's (the one in the food court) is replaced with an A&W's and a Popeye's. Dufferin Mall still has a McDonald's, albeit inside Wal-Mart.

The key differences between kosher and halal is that kosher does not include crustaceans or the combination of red meat and dairy, while halal does not include alcoholic beverages.

Sea of parking, ripe for redevelopment.

20190506_130931.jpg
20190506_130934.jpg

Walked the mall last night, Popeyes, A&W and Jolibee are doing very well. Carlton Cards is on its final days of liquidation before closure. The Source, SoftMoc and Bikini Village are gone. Have heard that Old Navy is in the process of closing down and that they are getting clearance items in their daily stock deliveries. Terre Rouge restaurant is still closed.

And all that parking will end up underground. I promise you that each condo unit built will have 1-2 parking spaces.

"digging for gold in my neighborhood
(Gold rush) where all the old buildings stood
(Gold rush) and they keep digging it down and down
(Gold rush) so that their cars can live underground
(Gold rush) the swinging of a wrecking ball
(Gold rush) through these lath and plaster walls
(Gold rush) is letting all the shadows free
(Gold rush) the ones I wish still followed me "

Walked the mall last night, Popeyes, A&W and Jolibee are doing very well. Carlton Cards is on its final days of liquidation before closure. The Source, SoftMoc and Bikini Village are gone. Have heard that Old Navy is in the process of closing down and that they are getting clearance items in their daily stock deliveries. Terre Rouge restaurant is still closed.

Hey, you buried the lede: The new Tim Horton's is bumping too.

?

Back