Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
Promenade Mall Revitalization 
1 Promenade Circle, Thornhill
Developer: Liberty Development

Promenade Mall Revitalization | ?m | 35s | Liberty Development | WZMH

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by raptor, Jul 30, 2018.

1. raptor

raptor Senior Member

New entry in PlanIt for 1 & 180 Promenade Circle:
    No documents uploaded yet, however this are the development's boundaries (in yellow):
    upload_2018-7-30_13-28-4.

Mary James and Benito like this.

2. Mary James

Mary James New Member

Yup! Only issue I think they may run into in the future is that they built an entire development around the mall but the mall is still dead, which will leave this weird open space in the middle... The Promenade is dying at a crazy fast rate. Stores are leaving left, right, and center. It is very sad, rumors of swirled that the mall is closing, which seems to have sent customers away. Promenade is a stunning structure, so bright and airy, much nicer than Bayview Village, just has no stores left. Looking forward to the mall's renovation. According to the article they are going to do an Erin Mills type of renovation with new skylights and a new center court. Attached are some images of the Promenade during peak shopping hours. Looks like Sears will go as part of the redevelopment.

IMG_9917-1. 55407598370__3E5B7839-AA56-45B1-A0AD-C27FFF874F99. IMG_0238.

Benito likes this.
  3. raptor

raptor Senior Member

Planning docs are up on Planit. Lots of info for those interested.
    Phase 1 will include 4 residential towers (2 x 28s, 30s, 35s)

upload_2018-8-7_13-27-21.

upload_2018-8-7_13-27-49.

upload_2018-8-7_13-28-32.

Nicholas Del Prete and Benito like this.
  4. Toronto1834

Toronto1834 Active Member

I don't like that none of the buildings in phase 1 will face public roads. It won't make the area feel more walkable from Bathurst St. or Centre St.

5. Irishmonk

Irishmonk Senior Member

Very bold vision. Hope to see more failing regional shopping malls developing their vast parking lots into denser, multi use mini downtowns that utilize the revenue generating potential of all that surrounding, wasted land. Yorkdale and MSCC need to follow their lead and do something very bold with their what's left of their surface parking. The developers need to visit (if they haven't already) the mega, vertical malls of Bangkok, Seoul and Shanghai for inspiration.

6. TorPronto

TorPronto New Member

Yorkdale has the dream plan with tons of office buildings and condos in the works. It should be on the forum

Irishmonk likes this.
  7. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Superstar

I can confidently say that a lot of malls around the GTA are in the process of formulating redevelopment plans of various scales. This isn't the first mall to get mixed use development and won't be the last.

canarob likes this.
  8. hozman

hozman New Member

As someone who lives near the mall i am very concerned about traffic. the traffic situation is already out of control and adding all these units will just add more cars to an already congested area. I know they are building transit in the area, but the reality no one takes transit in Thornhill. The buses are empty and run so infrequently.

9. TJ O'Pootertoot

TJ O'Pootertoot Senior Member

I wouldn't describe the mall as failing or anything like that. There has been noticeable store turnover recently, no doubt caused by the "uncertain future" and (so I hear) increased rents, possibly directly related to the former factor; to push out some deadwood. So, Starbucks has just come in and pushed out Second Cup, for example.
    Sears was never a huge anchor but losing it was still an obvious blow. But even in the mall's best days, there have been literally acres of surplus parking (particularly on the east and south sides) which could have been at least used for more pad retail. And it's interesting they're keeping the mall at the core, rather than going with something more akin to Don Mills, which I thought was possible.

Overall this seems a pretty good, if ambitious plan. I like how they bring the transit hub closer to the mall and connect things with those glass concourses. I'm not entirely sure about the scale - especially with the back and forth regarding the proposed (way out of scale) 7-tower proposal directly to the north. Traffic is always going to be a concern but that MIGHT be too many units for the site; hard to get a sense of the overall density until we've seen that second proposal and knit it all together.
    (don't forget, there's already I think 6 or 7 condo towers on the periphery there...)

It looks like the Phase 1 towers are closer to the mall but how it will change the Bathurst Streetscape is the real question.
    Interesting, anyway.

10. JasonParis

JasonParis Moderator

Considering that many will work, shop and entertain themselves right in "Promenade City," the traffic concerns may be overblown. And regardless, traffic will get worse anyway. Making neighbourhoods dense enough to support transit is the only long-term solution.

interchange42 likes this.
  11. mkerian

mkerian Active Member

I've known this area for 31 years. About 20 years ago the area north of Centre St west of Bathurst all the way to New Westminister used to be nothing but fields. Then they started building. Now there's retail, big box, parks, condos, townhouses, and an old-age home (a fancy one too).

I remember when there were only a couple streetlights on Centre between Dufferin and Bathurst. Almost every weekend night I could hear the street racers take advantage of the almost 1km perfect stretch. Now there's at least 6 or 7 streetlights and new intersections.

I also remember when nothing but the YRT 77 bus would take you Finch Station. I mean, you could hike it to the Promenade Mall to take the 88 or the short bus 3, but both of those winded their way through residential neighborhoods. Then the VIVA Purple launched, and now we have the transitway.

Unfortunately, density brings traffic. That this area has transformed into such a hub is a sign of growth and with Thornhill's pace of growth there's nothing you can do to abate that *except* by building transit. Denying more density is foolish, and you can't build more roads or widen existing ones.

To say no one takes transit and the buses run empty and infrequently highlights your bias. Now, the buses *do* run frequently. The 77 runs every 20 minutes or so during rush hour, and the Promenade Mall transit hub has Viva and YRT buses pulling in and out full of people at all times. During rush hour the 77 was so packed that it was standing room from Finch to the Promenade, when others transferred to more buses or more frequently, walked home.

The VIVA Purple is packed with students heading to York University, and now more so with the subway access at VMC.

Look, I understand. My parents' house backs onto the south side of Centre street. They've been dealing with the VIVA rapidway construction for a couple years now. These concerns and biases are partly generational, partly nimby, and very rarely on actual reality.

But a project like this? I'm not saying that a company like Liberty is a beacon of excellent planning or integrity - far from it. However this has potential to further energize a growing hub. What was a field of suburban houses 30 years ago has transformed into a node of density and multi-use.

At the very least, enjoy the increase in your property value!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    JasonParis likes this.
  12. innsertnamehere

20 minutes is frequent? in what world? This area should have 5 minute frequency Viva Service to VMC, Finch, and RHC at minimum.

13. canarob

canarob Senior Member

I hope Markville is one of them.: very similar site and transit connections as this mall.

14. mkerian

mkerian Active Member

15. innsertnamehere

which is a horrible peak hour frequency. Trust me - you don't want to base your life around about only being able to leave your house / office 4 times an hour.