Vaughan Promenade Mall Revitalization | ?m | 35s | Liberty Development | WZMH

Went by the food court today and discovered that McDonald's has closed after 32 years. There were rumours about them closing but I didn't know that they would be true. It was only last week when I was buying a coffee from them. A mall employee mentioned that McDonald's decided not to renew their lease.
As retailers seem to be leaving Promenade, Hillcrest Mall at Yonge and 16th is growing their offering.

Went by the food court today and discovered that McDonald's has closed after 32 years. There were rumours about them closing but I didn't know that they would be true. It was only last week when I was buying a coffee from them. A mall employee mentioned that McDonald's decided not to renew their lease.

Funny you say that. I wasn't going to post it but had the exact same experience yesterday; shocked to see it gone after hearing rumours. It's clear they're in a transitional period there.

It's headed to the Vaughan committee of the whole (public hearing) on Jan 22, so it's definitely moving forward.

The development is definitely moving forward. But it's interesting to see what's happening with retail in the interim.
A lot of comings and goings.

I have heard positive things about the area and it is convenient for seniors because the mall has everything. I think it is a big risk, but I am all for development.

That's not good news about the McDonald's.

Hopefully this doesn't start a trend with the better names stores as well.

A well known chicken company from the Philippines is going to open a location here. I think retail is doing well, but as others have said it is in a transitional period. I think a strong community presence and nearby transit will always make this an area of activity.

This is on the agenda at the January 22 Public Hearing:
https://pub-vaughan.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=8925
  • Towers A and B: 35 and 30-storey residential apartment buildings (319 and 264 units) connected by a 6-storey residential podium (148 units) with at grade retail
  • Tower C: 26-storey mixed-use building comprised of 10-storeys of office, 14-storeys of hotel (221 rooms) 2-storey retail at grade
  • A maximum density (Floor Space Index - FSI) of 4.23 times the area of the subject lands
  • Permit reduced parking standards for all non-residential uses on the entirety of the Promenade Mall lands

ATTCHMENTSPromenade Limited PH_Page_1.jpg
ATTCHMENTSPromenade Limited PH_Page_2.jpg
ATTCHMENTSPromenade Limited PH_Page_3.jpg
ATTCHMENTSPromenade Limited PH_Page_4.jpg
ATTCHMENTSPromenade Limited PH_Page_5.jpg
ATTCHMENTSPromenade Limited PH_Page_6.jpg
ATTCHMENTSPromenade Limited PH_Page_7.jpg

Office/hotel components seem to be all the rage these days; very similar one at World on Yonge, for example. Who stays in these random hotels?

I find it odd that some of the lands south of the Promenade is zoned for agricultural uses.
But OP designated for high density residential. The field directly south of the mall on the other side of Clark Avenue has an application in for a retirement home and some stacked townhouses right now.

Leaving land designated for agricultural uses gets you tax breaks (it's taxed like a farm) until you're ready to develop it.
Anyway, that's outdated. As just pointed out, there's a bunch of townhomes under construction there now as well as a residence that's part of the adjacent Reena centre (which I don't believe is a retirement home, but same idea).

It's actually quite amazing that piece of land sat there so long.

Back