PJ Condos | 156.96m | 48s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

GenerationLee

Member Bio
Reaction score
The south end is just Pinnacle being Pinnacle...not much of a surprise from this developer at all. The north end suffers from that bland design choice as well. The podium feels like it wasn't fleshed out fully as an idea...it looks like half an idea that was reworked and rushed a bit...it just looks awkward and fussy with proportions IMO.

Vanalla

Member Bio
Reaction score
This building isn't chubby chubs, it's a reasonable floorplate size with some hope of actually making reasonable unit plans out of it. The Toronto urban design obsession with skinny towers belies the importance of tower plates that can actually accommodate residential layouts.
It's a lot less of an obsession as it is a planning policy - minimum setbacks from property lines vary from 3 to 12 meters, and maximum floorplate of 750 sqm.

See the full tall buildings guidebook that shapes Toronto's blandness here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-57177.pdf

.dwg

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm very aware of those guidelines, I've had to design to them many times. They are so incredibly limiting and imo not the only housing options urban Torontonians should have.

bilked

Member Bio
Reaction score
96B0BDA5-336F-46C2-8D83-A3CF2A9719B9.jpeg
A5CC532B-8E76-4F21-B3A3-239DAAEE8832.jpeg

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
As I said, it looks a lot better than stuff on the South window wall though.

alklay

Member Bio
Reaction score
Those grates on the upper half look terrible (and the whole unit looks cheap as heck). Details count and we know the architects appreciate this fact.
Cheapening by the developer?

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
That render also shows the lack of bargain grey spandrel that permeates through this building as well. So should we be surprised at this as well?

GenerationLee

Member Bio
Reaction score
That render also shows the lack of bargain grey spandrel that permeates through this building as well. So should we be surprised at this as well?
No you shouldnt. Pinnacle isn't the kind of developer to follow through with impeccable detailing and workmanship....or daresay...quality. You can argue this point with One Yonge, but the podium on that project is...lacking. I doubt the units finishing will be all that spectacular.

bmw007

Member Bio
Reaction score
No you shouldnt. Pinnacle isn't the kind of developer to follow through with impeccable detailing and workmanship....or daresay...quality. You can argue this point with One Yonge, but the podium on that project is...lacking. I doubt the units finishing will be all that spectacular.

It is disappointing/misleading that Pinnacle didn't follow the architectural specifications as the pictures do show shiny glass with open concept for the building. It will be interesting to see if the interior design for the lobby and corridors are modern and well lighted similar to other recently completed condo buildings OR 100 John Street built by Pinnacle a few years ago. Their reputation is on the line as they have several super tall condo buildings for sales at One Yonge.

Last edited:

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
And because of that, this ruined what should of been an awe inspiring project. Now I'm tempted to call it bacon strips wrapped around a greyed out turd...though I might be overextending my disdain for this if I do. >.<

bjrkz

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wasn’t expecting much but wow the ground level looks terrible for such a prominent intersection. Keeping the window and curtain wall flush with the precast makes the cladding look thin and cheap, and the gaps between panels don’t help. The grey louvres under the faux arches are just the cherry on top. Nice try Pinnacle!